• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 94

Forgive me if I am a little late to the party in commenting on Star 94‘s current format, but it would seem to me that they have curated a playlist of songs that were “too rockin’” for them when they were new.

For this listener, who is back in town after 12 years in Florida, it’s amusing to hear “My Neck, My Back” on what used to be one of the blandest stations in town.

I still think it's funny River plays the Ramones (I heard "Blitzkrieg Bop" the other day). Atlanta AOR didn't touch the Ramones back in the day.

Yeah I'm glad stars doing a little more decent than we thought it would. However after living in New York for 10 years in the late '90s, and hearing what was then, rhythmic AC, 103.5KTU... I just don't understand Star 94's playlist.

Occasionally you'll still hear "Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, or P!nk's "Please Don't Leave Me". I mean it's fine if they're going to play those but at least play a dance mix of those. I also think they play way too much hip hop. But that's more just for my taste. But I think it also adds to the awkwardness when I play "My Neck My Back" next to P!nk and Kelly Clarkson. Lol

Personally I wish they would just go straight up classic hits. Much like 101.1 CBS FM in NY. But who knows how that how well that would test here in Atlanta of course. 🙄

I think they are trying to be a KTU for Atlanta's large African American audience. Personally (as a 35 yo white guy), it's not my favorite station but I do listen. I don't think I'm the target audience though.

It seems to be working.

IMO, I wouldn’t say the main target is African Americans per say. I feel they are going after the suburban audience who grew up watching MTV in the late 80s to early 2K when Pop and Hip Hop kinda meshed together, if that makes sense. Some tracks are a little toooooo gold.

OG 97.9 is more targeted to African Americans when it comes to throwbacks vs STAR 94.

I think Star doesnt solely play hip hop classics unlike OG 97.9 basically meaning Original 97.9 though they probably didn’t mean it that way and meant it in a hip hop way. Star plays some currents and dance product/classics that OG would never touch though.

I still can’t believe from 1992 until 1999 Star 94 was even considered a defacto top 40 for Atlanta. And surprised Atlanta which had the greatest top 40 as in power had nothing until q100.

I still can’t believe from 1992 until 1999 Star 94 was even considered a defacto top 40 for Atlanta. And surprised Atlanta which had the greatest top 40 as in power had nothing until q100.
It is indeed interesting to recall those days when there were many markets around the country that had a piecemeal at best Top 40 station, which is to say, none at all. Pre-internet it was certainly frustrating to live in an area with no current rhythmic music or the hottest pop music on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom