• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 102.5

Maybe. Cumulus turned down a deal two years for roughly six times the current trading price of the stock. Jeff Warshaw, who made the offer, said the investors in the company seemed to have no interest in selling at any price. Much, however, can change over the course of two years. Given how many times it has extended the poison pill offer to its shareholders, it wouldn't seem to be finding many takers.

Inside Music Media is the National Enquirer of the radio business. I wouldn't use it as a source without verification from somewhere else.

If an Audacy/Cumulus merger will meet current ownership laws, the FCC can't stop it. The FCC can only do what the law entitles it to do. Unless one party or the other has roaches under the fridge we don't know about, it'll happen if both parties want it.

At the moment, there's a lot more smoke than fire. We don't know what's going to happen yet, but it seems like a shotgun marriage of the two is at least somewhere on the table. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but there's little doubt it's at least on a few people's radars and has been since last summer. You're right that Buffalo isn't going to be all that attractive to the big boys, but they'll happily take it if it's included with what they really want. You can still make money in Buffalo, and they'll take it if it comes at the right price. Billionaires might be able to find better places to put their money, but larger markets, in particular, still have plenty of revenue coming in. The US still has stations that bill north of $50 million per year. Despite obvious problems radio faces, that shows no signs of abating anytime soon.
So tell us YOUR reliable sources

So tell us YOUR reliable sources
Two of our mods have highly visible industry trade websites, another is a respected analyst on radio station ratings, another has an aggregate site of FCC information, and the lead mod has one of the largest documentation repositories on both radio and TV. And that's just within that circle.

Other places like RBR, RAMP, Inside Radio and NextTV/Broadcasting & Cable all have good marks and I frequent them too. Sean Ross's column is always a good read. Tom Taylor before he retired was indispensable. Likewise, Joel Denver poured his heart and soul into AllAccess.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that Soros might have the same issue with Bhargava trying to barge into US radio that Cumulus has. Of course, if you throw enough money at shareholders anything is possible, but current Cumulus management is fighting ANY hostile takeover, not looking to give away the store. Look at Bhargava's record with the magazine properties he bought out. Smart shareholders would be crazy to give him the keys to the candy store.
Bhargava is working WITH the Soros fund (Soros himself is BARELY involved if at all, other than for right-wing fear-mongering) on the Audacy restructuring. Same would be the case with a shotgun Cumulus marriage.
Two of our mods have highly visible industry trade websites, another is a respected analyst on radio station ratings, another has an aggregate site of FCC information, and the lead mod has one of the largest documentation repositories on both radio and TV. And that's just within that circle.
@Nathan Obral you completely missed the point of what that comment was. It was in regard to who @Kent was getting his info from. Which @Radiowaves should know in regards to that comment was all publicly reported information.

No billionaire is looking at this as a Buffalo deal. Buffalo barely registers in importance if this deal is made. This is about consolidation and cutting more overhead and costs. AND if Bhargava is involved, deeper cuts that will include AI content.

Other places like RBR, RAMP, Inside Radio and NextTV/Broadcasting & Cable all have good marks and I frequent them too. Sean Ross's column is always a good read. Tom Taylor before he retired was indispensable. Likewise, Joel Denver poured his heart and soul into AllAccess.
So your sources approved by you are the good ones.

Mine is the National Inquirer although it’s been right about a ton of stuff.

Who are these analysts you speak of? I believe your as much as you believe my example.

Bhargava is working WITH the Soros fund (Soros himself is BARELY involved if at all, other than for right-wing fear-mongering) on the Audacy restructuring. Same would be the case with a shotgun Cumulus marriage.

@Nathan Obral you completely missed the point of what that comment was. It was in regard to who @Kent was getting his info from. Which @Radiowaves should know in regards to that comment was all publicly reported information.
Ohhhhhhh. My apologies, it has been a long day.
No billionaire is looking at this as a Buffalo deal. Buffalo barely registers in importance if this deal is made. This is about consolidation and cutting more overhead and costs. AND if Bhargava is involved, deeper cuts that will include AI content.
Indeed. Bhargava's presence in this is legit worrisome and deservedly so.

So your sources approved by you are the good ones.

Mine is the National Inquirer although it’s been right about a ton of stuff.

Who are these analysts you speak of? I believe your as much as you believe my example.

I will always respect JDC as a broadcaster, programmer, and educator. I stopped taking him seriously as a journalist, however, after the Clear Channel lawsuit more than 20 years ago. I don't believe you settle a lawsuit by giving up your publication if the allegations against it are false, even if he wasn’t required to admit any wrongdoing or libel. Inside Radio has been a more reliable publication since he's been gone, or at least it looks that way to me. If you want to say I'm not being fair, you’re welcome to that opinion. Obviously, JDC has enough people giving him a second chance that he's making a living. I'm just not interested in becoming one of them.

You've seen the sources I mentioned. Lance posted them earlier in this thread.

Here's the quote from Warshaw just over a year ago saying Cumulus didn’t seem interested in an offer at all. Will Jeff Warshaw Make Another Offer For Cumulus?

Back
Top Bottom