• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

St. Louis gets a 100,000 watt JOY-FM

R

Rick Rose 2.0

Now market 21 once again has a Christian music station that St Louis can hear. The Joy FM made the move at 7am central this morning to the 99.1 signal with 100kw and 313 HAAT. Listner supported JOY FM is now KLJY-fm.

anotherguy said:
What's happening with the old stations? have they been sold or will be changing soon?

The LC-MS was in the process of selling KFUO (99.1 FM). I don't know if that is a done deal yet. The selling was cause for much controversy within the LC-MS.

Talk_Dude said:
anotherguy said:
What's happening with the old stations? have they been sold or will be changing soon?

The LC-MS was in the process of selling KFUO (99.1 FM). I don't know if that is a done deal yet. The selling was cause for much controversy within the LC-MS.

LC-MS' sale of 99.1 FM was approved by the FCC and transfer to JoyFM's group happened on 07/07/10 at 7am with Joy FM's programming moving to 99.1 from it's previous home at 94.1/97.7.

They (JoyFM) are working on selling off the 94.1/97.7 frequencies as they no longer need them.. Listening to JoyFM's webstream they are running a legal ID for all 3 stations so my guess (I am not in the area) is that 94.1/97.7 are currently still airing the Christian format now on 99.1 until their sold.

The fact that they never mention KHZR and KPVR except once at the top of the hour and that they are gone from the web site suggests that they will be disgarded even though they do add something to their total coverage.

From Springfield, IL where I live sometimes I can listen to 94.1 and with the hot humid weather it has been coming in good at times recently. So I can confirm that that Joy-FM is still on 94.1. But 99.1 comes in stronger in Springfield than 94.1. I have been getting 99.1 very strong most of the day. I am excited to have another station to listen to.

As other have said 94.1 and 97.7 are for sale. They can use the money to pay for 99.1. 99.1 will cover most of the of the old coverage areas. To the north when 99.1 goes out Contemporary Christian WGCA 88.5 in Quincy starts to come in so 94.1 is not needed there.

To the south when 99.1 starts to go out K-Love has a new CP about to sign on at 89.9 for Cape Girardeau, MO. So 97.7 is not needed. 97.7 went out just before Cape Girardeau, MO.

To the East and Northeast and Southeast WIBI has its network of stations. WIBI also has a new 250 watt station in Saint Louis at 89.7.

To the west KCVO has it network of stations. So every thing will be covered with ccm now in Saint louis in all all directions heyond the 99.1 signal.

WIBI 91.1 Carlinville along with the new WCBW 89.7 in Saint Louis are not needed anymore. I think donations would be of better going to Joy-Fm not WIBI Carlinville because its more important with its 100,000 signal covering Saint Louis stay on the air. Joy-FM has to raise 26 million in donations to pay for 99.1. WIBI's 90.5 is the ccm station here in Springfield and would be good enough now as 90.5 comes in when 99.1 goes out south of Springfield.

Re: KFUO-FM

I checked at Radio Locator and it only lists KFUO-AM. So I went to the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod website and they have a link to KFUO. There you'll find a web link for both KFUO - AM and KFUO-FM, I clicked on the FM and below is what they had posted on their web site:

July 6, 2010, was the final day of broadcasting for KFUO-FM CLASSIC99. Our final piece was Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 - the 1st choice of our listeners for many years.

Join us at www.classic99.com for more great classical music.

For 62 years it has been our pleasure to serve the community and our listening audience. Thank you for all the support and valued relationships during these many years.

Dennis Stortz

Director of Broadcast Operations

So apparently the KFUO-AM will continue on as a Lutheran talk and program station with both radio and online available. The Classical music format will only be heard online.

MikefromDelaware said:
I checked at Radio Locator and it only lists KFUO-AM.  So I went to the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod website and they have a link to KFUO.  There you'll find a web link for both KFUO - AM and KFUO-FM, I clicked on the FM and below is what they had posted on their web site:

July 6, 2010, was the final day of broadcasting for KFUO-FM CLASSIC99. Our final piece was Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 - the 1st choice of our listeners for many years.

Join us at www.classic99.com for more great classical music.

For 62 years it has been our pleasure to serve the community and our listening audience. Thank you for all the support and valued relationships during these many years.

Dennis Stortz

Director of Broadcast Operations

So apparently the KFUO-AM will continue on as a Lutheran talk and program station with both radio and online available.  The Classical music format will only be heard online.

Right 99.1 is now KLJY-FM Clayton, MO. Joy FM is still going to be on 94.1 and 97.7 until those licenses run out in 2013. Classical music can only be heard now on a new HD radio subchannel on KWMU-FM (the local NPR station).

But I'm still bothered by how this whole deal went down and the unchristian like actions that the LCMS did in terms of this deal like one report saying that even though all the former KFUO staff are getting a severance, they can not find work of any kind for 6 months.

I know a lot of this isn't Joy FM's fault but the gloating that they are doing is a little upsetting saying that God has answered their prayers, what they don't say was that it was at the cost of Classic 99's loyal listeners and the St. Louis performing arts community.

Mrtraveler01 said:
But I'm still bothered by how this whole deal went down and the unchristian like actions that the LCMS did in terms of this deal like one report saying that even though all the former KFUO staff are getting a severance, they can not find work of any kind for 6 months.

I know a lot of this isn't Joy FM's fault but the gloating that they are doing is a little upsetting saying that God has answered their prayers, what they don't say was that it was at the cost of Classic 99's loyal listeners and the St. Louis performing arts community.

There has been more controversy than that within the LC-MS, particularly regarding how the proceeds of the sale will be used. But, that's grist for a different mill than this one.

What is significant in here is the part of your quoted post that I highlighted. How much genuinely local content did KFUO carry? By "local content", I don't mean playing cuts off of CD's from studios located in St. Louis. I'm talking about genuine content from the "performing arts community" of St. Louis? Did KFUO do regularly scheduled live broadcasts of the local symphony and other local performing arts groups? Did the station make recordings of local live performances for later broadcast?

I'm not being snarky. I don't live anywhere near St. Louis, so I don't listen to St. Louis radio. I genuinely would like to know how KFUO supported the "St. Louis performing arts community".

Saint Louis has had a local Christian Hit Music station online since November, 2004, The Journey http://www.thejourneyradio.org, which is apparently unique because it's the only online station with membership in a regular commercial broadcaster's association and with regular radio network affiliations. It's also a commercial operation rather than listener supported and carries local weather updates, amber alerts, and so on.

The music is much more hit/urban/rhythmic oriented than the stuff that JOY-FM plays currently or has ever played. On weekdays the station has two daytime DJs, Pastor Rob (mornings from 8 until noon) and Uncle Milton (from noon until 5). They do take requests live or over the phone, which is toll free even though they're in Saint Louis and a live operator answers.

From 6:30 am until 8 am, the station carries talk programming. It used to carry Daybreak USA live followed by American Sunrise, a nationally syndicated show. Now they carry "Network Europe" from Euranet and American Sunrise.

Between 5 and 6 pm, they carry Free Speech Radio News live (you can sometimes hear the satellite tone) and another broadcast of Network Europe.

Overnight, The Journey doesn't seem to have a live announcer although they USED to. The format is Christian hard rock, some folk rock and a smaller mix of the hit music played daytimes.

On Friday night, they carry a program called Rockworld which says its from Pennsylvania but one of the co-hosts sounds the same as the afternoon guy, who I think is local. Then they carry The MAD Christian Radio Show from Canada.

On weekends, the station carries a bunch of commercial, national shows like 20 The Countdown Magazine, Power Praise, Direct Connection and on Sunday mornings, We Worship (which I don't really like).

Several years ago, I originally heard their programming on KCXL-AM in the Kansas City area which I caught by accident, but they kept mentioning their URL and Saint Louis so I checked them out.

What's really odd is that they used to carry some really liberal non-religious shows like "Democracy Now" which is from the def. not Christian Pacifica network, but that seems to have stopped.

I wish they were on FM because I like the music mix better.

I know nothing of what the LCMS is doing, or why they sold KUFO-FM. My guess is because the classical music format was losing money. Apparently, KFUO-AM at least breaks even. Many classical stations have gone silent over the years due to lack of support, either spots if a commercial station or donors if a non-comm. I'd have been tempted, if I were the LCMS to have moved the religious programming from the AM to FM and then sold off the AM station. However the FM is worth more, and maybe the LCMS needed the money for other ministry things they are doing, so decided to sell the more valuable FM station. Family Radio did a similar thing in San Fransisco if I remember correctly. With the internet, the LCMS can have world-wide coverage running the less valuable AM station for local listeners.

From what I've read locally, KFUO-FM, which was commercial, footed the bills for the religiously programmed KFUO-AM. KFUO-FM seems to have held it's own even in these troubled times. The LCMS, on the other hand is millions of dollars in the red and has difficulty funding some of its ministry projects.

The debate was whether the LCMS should continue to spend resources on a project that was not overtly religious. I was surprised that the LCMS didn't keep KFUO-FM and run it as a Christian station itself rather than selling it to people who hold what LCMS teaches is "false doctrine".

So I'm assuming that if KFUO-FM was a commercial station, that Joy-FM will be also. So that implies that Joy FM believes they can sell enough spots in that market to make a go of it. I wonder why the LCMS didn't flip the FM from Classical to CCM with 2 minute LCMS commentary/devotionals, which would be overtly religious and continue to use their "cash cow" radio station to support their other ministry's.

MikefromDelaware said:
So I'm assuming that if KFUO-FM was a commercial station, that Joy-FM will be also. So that implies that Joy FM believes they can sell enough spots in that market to make a go of it. I wonder why the LCMS didn't flip the FM from Classical to CCM with 2 minute LCMS commentary/devotionals, which would be overtly religious and continue to use their "cash cow" radio station to support their other ministry's.

No. Joy FM may hold commercial licenses, but they are completely financed through "Shareathon" pledge drives and underwriters. They accept no advertising and are, according to their website and on air personalities, "completely listener supported". The only commercially financed Christian music broadcaster in Saint Louis is the Internet station, The Journey which I think plays a much better music mix than JOY FM ever has. During weekdays it's nearly impossible to tell that it's not a licensed radio station except that the top of the hour ID simply says, "The Journey, Saint Louis, Missouri".

A friend told me that KFUO-FM used to be completely listener supported until sometime in the 90s. I don't remember because I grew up listening to KSHE 95 "REAL ROCK RADIO" before moving away for years. When I came back and listening to classical music, KFUO-FM was commercial.

MikefromDelaware said:
That's a question that allot of us are asking even on Sunday morning. Pastors aren't able to give us any answers, especially since the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is the most truly "confessional" of the Lutheran tradition in the United States holding to a faithful interpretation of The Book of Concord, The Lutheran Confessional documents. I remember being drilled on Luther's Small Catechism in its little blue, hardbound edition from Concordia Publishing House until I got the answers right. We were discouraged from praying with non-Missouri Synod Lutherans and "unionism" is verboten. No open communion and the LCMS is certainly not involved greatly in the ecumenical movement. So the other question asked by many in the pews is why sell the station to people who hold false doctrines especially since the broadcast may actually steal listeners from KFUO-AM, the radio ministry of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod which is overtly religious and presents a proper Lutheran emphasis on Law and Gospel.

JimTroost said:
We were discouraged from praying with non-Missouri Synod Lutherans and "unionism" is verboten. No open communion and the LCMS is certainly not involved greatly in the ecumenical movement. So the other question asked by many in the pews is why sell the station to people who hold false doctrines especially since the broadcast may actually steal listeners from KFUO-AM, the radio ministry of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod which is overtly religious and presents a proper Lutheran emphasis on Law and Gospel.

Maybe they were afraid people from the ELCA might sneak in and listen. ::) ::)

Talk_Dude said:
Maybe they were afraid people from the ELCA might sneak in and listen. ::) ::)
Good one!

Husband and wife friends from church actually listened to the new Joy FM today in their car. The wife called my wife to tell her not to bother because it was the same old Christian Adult Contemporary mellow stuff that so many Christian music stations like to play.

Talk_Dude said:
Mrtraveler01 said:

There has been more controversy than that within the LC-MS, particularly regarding how the proceeds of the sale will be used. But, that's grist for a different mill than this one.

What is significant in here is the part of your quoted post that I highlighted. How much genuinely local content did KFUO carry? By "local content", I don't mean playing cuts off of CD's from studios located in St. Louis. I'm talking about genuine content from the "performing arts community" of St. Louis? Did KFUO do regularly scheduled live broadcasts of the local symphony and other local performing arts groups? Did the station make recordings of local live performances for later broadcast?

I'm not being snarky. I don't live anywhere near St. Louis, so I don't listen to St. Louis radio. I genuinely would like to know how KFUO supported the "St. Louis performing arts community".

Classic 99 had weekly concerts from the St. Louis Symphony on Saturday Nights and were a huge sponsor for the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. I mean for a station around for 62 years, it became as much of a part of St. Louis performing arts scene as the SLSO.

Mrtraveler01 said:

Classic 99 had weekly concerts from the St. Louis Symphony on Saturday Nights and were a huge sponsor for the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. I mean for a station around for 62 years, it became as much of a part of St. Louis performing arts scene as the SLSO.

Classic 99 also actively supported and extensively promoted NUMEROUS performing arts and cultural organizations free of charge, much more than most stations do. Several organizations are worried about what will happen to their operations as secondary fall out. The Bach Society. Opera Theater Saint Louis and several others got most of their promotions and active support (i.e. ticket sales, etc.) through promotion on KFUO CLASSIC 99. I heard some exec of one of these say on the air (before KFUO went off the air) that he had no idea how his organization would manage to maintain its high attendance at events without Classic 99.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom