• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Spots on the LA Dial Where You Can Hear Regional Mexican Music

I'm sure there is a nuance to each station's programming. Perhaps if we were from another country and knew little about rock music, we'd say KLOS, KROQ, KYSR and KCBS-FM all sound the same to us. But with the switch of several Entravision stations from "Jose" to "Radio Tricolor" there are now a dizzying amount of Regional Mexican choices in LA.

105.5 KBUE Que Buena
103.9 KRCD Recuerdo (past RM hits)
103.1 KDLE Radio Tricolor
103.1 KDLD Radio Tricolor
101.9 KSCA ZonaMX
98.3 KRCV Recuerdo (past RM hits)
97.9 KLAX La Raza
97.5 KLYY Radio Tricolor
96.7 KWIZ La Ranchera
94.3 KEBN Que Buena
94.3 KBUA Que Buena
93.9 KXOS Radio Central
980 KFWB La Mera Mera (past RM hits)

Not counting the simulcasts, we see eight separately programmed Regional Mexican stations in LA and its suburbs. Are there no other Spanish-language formats out there (other than a few stations like KLVE doing Spanish-language AC or KXOL doing Spanish-language Contemporary)? Tijuana doesn't have eight different Regional Mexican stations. There are a wide variety of formats in Tijuana, and I assume in other Mexican cities... even Classical and Rock. I saw the Mexico City ratings a few years ago and I don't think there were more than one or two Regional Mexican stations in the top ten.

Nashville doesn't have eight different Country stations. Seattle doesn't have eight different Rock stations. New York doesn't have eight different AC stations. Does it make any sense for there to be eight different Regional Mexican stations in Los Angeles?

Very interesting, I never thought there were that many.

I look forward to Mr. Eduardo's expertise and breakdown on this but I'll take a stab. In a market that's over 40% Hispanic, most of which is Mexican and probably a big chunk from Northern Mexico where "Regional Mexican" originates from this list probably makes sense. Mexico City is a more eclectic and diverse metro where I'd imagine the passion for Regional (Northern) Mexican is not as high. Not all but much of today's Regional Mexican is Narco/Drug Trafficking themed (think Gangsta Rap). In Miami for example there are about 6 full power FM's (and one English CHR) playing some variation of Tropical/Bachata/Reggeaton. That market is over 50% Hispanic but a much different world than that of a Hispanic in Los Angeles, again that many signals for one genre probably makes sense.

Last edited:
I am revising this a bit because of some errors and the lack of "combining" of the simulcasts
105.5 KBUE Que Buena, 94.3 KEBN Que Buena, 94.3 KBUA Que Buena - All harder core regional with corridos.
103.9 KRCD Recuerdo , 98.3 KRCV Recuerdo Ballads, softer regional soft grupera music. If you hear a song here, you won't hear it on KLAX, KSCA, Que Buena, Radio Centro or Tricoler
103.1 KDLE Radio Tricolor, 103.1 KDLD Radio Tricolor, 97.5 KLYY Radio Tricolor personality talk with minimal music most of the day.
101.9 KSCA ZonaMX
97.9 KLAX La Raza
96.7 KWIZ La Ranchera Eclectic blend for the Santa Ana market area; regional oldies.

93.9 KXOS Radio Centro (not central)
980 KFWB La Mera Mera very old regional hits, most rancheras without much banda at all.

Not counting the simulcasts, we see eight separately programmed Regional Mexican stations in LA and its suburbs. Are there no other Spanish-language formats out there (other than a few stations like KLVE doing Spanish-language AC or KXOL doing Spanish-language Contemporary)?

There are actually 2 oldies stations that play no currents (KFWB and KWIZ) and an adult hits format, KRCD, that blends in a bit of rgional (as does KLVE).

One of the stations, KLYY, is very close to being a talk station.

Tijuana doesn't have eight different Regional Mexican stations.

Mexican Regional is a lower class appeal format in Mexico. I know of a station in Mexico City that once had nearly a 20 share with regional but only got a 5% share of revenue.

There are a wide variety of formats in Tijuana, and I assume in other Mexican cities... even Classical and Rock. I saw the Mexico City ratings a few years ago and I don't think there were more than one or two Regional Mexican stations in the top ten.

There are no more than those two FMs and a couple of AMs because the format is very hard to sell. Very low income, and advertisers wand ABC+ socioeconomic levels, not C-D and E.

The principal group of immigrants from Mexico come from rural and semi-rural towns and villages, and they are regional Mexican listeners.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Very interesting, I never thought there were that many.

I look forward to Mr. Eduardo's expertise and breakdown on this but I'll take a stab. In a market that's over 40% Hispanic, most of which is Mexican and probably a big chunk from Northern Mexico where "Regional Mexican" originates from this list probably makes sense. Mexico City is a more eclectic and diverse metro where I'd imagine the passion for Regional (Northern) Mexican is not as high. Not all but much of today's Regional Mexican is Narco/Drug Trafficking themed (think Gangsta Rap). In Miami for example there are about 6 full power FM's (and one English CHR) playing some variation of Tropical/Bachata/Reggeaton. That market is over 50% Hispanic but a much different world than that of a Hispanic in Los Angeles, again that many signals for one genre probably makes sense.

Regional Mexican defines the music of all parts of Mexico. Ranchera is from Jalisco and the Bajío. Banda is from Sinaloa, Norteña is from the Northeastern part of Mexico, but over the years regional distinctions have faded.

About 75% of born-in-Mexico LA Hispanics are from Jalisco, Guanajuato, Michoacan, Guerrero, Zaccateca, Colima and Nayarit. Today, that area in Mexico plays mostly Banda. Little Ranchera is heard now, except on AM oldies stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom