• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Spectrum Reclamation in Boston-Providence markets

Does anyone know of TV stations in the Boston and Providence markets going off the air or channel sharing with other stations as a result of the spectrum reclamation and repacking? I know of WBIN going off the air, and WLVI moving to sister station WNAC's frequency as additional subchannels.

Yes, I meant WHDH; WNAC is FOX 64 in Providence. Merging the Boston and Providence markets into one would add many add many new network stations to the cable and satellite systems throughout parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire: ABC on chs 5, 6, and 9; CBS on chs 4 and 12; NBC on chs 10 and 60;, PBS on chs 2, 11, 36, and 44; CW on chs 28 and 56; MY on chs 38 and 64.2; and other stations. The over the air signals of Boston and Providence area stations significantly overlap each others' markets.

Yes, I meant WHDH; WNAC is FOX 64 in Providence. Merging the Boston and Providence markets into one would add many add many new network stations to the cable and satellite systems throughout parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire: ABC on chs 5, 6, and 9; CBS on chs 4 and 12; NBC on chs 10 and 60;, PBS on chs 2, 11, 36, and 44; CW on chs 28 and 56; MY on chs 38 and 64.2; and other stations. The over the air signals of Boston and Providence area stations significantly overlap each others' markets.

When I was younger and would visit my grandmother up in Canton, MA, her cable system had all the Boston & Providence stations on cable and that was before digital cable. I remember as a child in Stoughton, before I moved to the Philly area, we could get all the Providence & Boston stations with rabbit ears. Both of those towns are in Norfolk County and only now have Boston stations on the Comcast & FiOS lineups. When did they take Providence off cable on the South Shore?

U meant WHDH not WNAC. will the Boston and Providence markets merge into one?.

Probably right after they merge Washington and Baltimore. In other words, don't hold your breath.

When I was younger and would visit my grandmother up in Canton, MA, her cable system had all the Boston & Providence stations on cable and that was before digital cable. I remember as a child in Stoughton, before I moved to the Philly area, we could get all the Providence & Boston stations with rabbit ears. Both of those towns are in Norfolk County and only now have Boston stations on the Comcast & FiOS lineups. When did they take Providence off cable on the South Shore?

I lived in Norfolk County growing up and before cable the rabbit ears would pick up Providence channels. (Sometimes they still do) With cable we got New Hampshire channels, which I am pretty much sure is because the DMA is Boston/Manchester. It was wild. The ads were different and Providence always seemed like a more natural fit than southern New Hampshire. I'm surprised your grandmother was getting Providence channels on cable in Canton.

I lived in Norfolk County growing up and before cable the rabbit ears would pick up Providence channels. (Sometimes they still do) With cable we got New Hampshire channels, which I am pretty much sure is because the DMA is Boston/Manchester. It was wild. The ads were different and Providence always seemed like a more natural fit than southern New Hampshire. I'm surprised your grandmother was getting Providence channels on cable in Canton.

The Providence channels were there probably in the late 80s, early 90s. It was probably the syndex rules that did in the Providence channels on cable in Norfolk County. The Boston stations probably asked the cable co. to remove them. I guess they weren't significantly watched. We had WWOR & WPIX on cable down here in Philly and those rules blacked out those stations half the time.

The FCC has said that they will announce this month what each station group/owner is going to do as a result of the auction

What is the fate of WLWC after the spectrum selloff? And I heard WBIN, which sold its spectrum, will be merging with WFUT in Marlboro, MA.
Can anyone verify these facts?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom