• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Speaking of WOGL

Interested in the participants' agreements and disagreements with this.

Before the Big re-brand and library freshening, I almost always found a reason to leave WOGL on for a good chunk of time. Being a (very youthful) 49-year-old at the time, that indicated to me that they were potentially doing a pretty good job of reaching their target listener. Now, as a 50-year-old (even more youthful, somehow), I find them a constant turn-off.

They've added stuff from my late teens and 20's, which is appealing to me, but a lot of the other stuff just feels like it needs to go. Phil Collins and Genesis made some very good music and WOGL is a fine outlet for it, but I don't need to hear from him/them every damn time I listen to the station. I mean, seriously: They should've rebranded to PHIL 98.1. If I never hear "Sweet Home Alabama" (1974) again in my life, that would be most satisfactory. Who are these listeners who want to hear Fall Out Boy shortly after sitting through yet another Def Leppard retread? Just sounds very inconsistent to me. Trainwrecks everywhere! And if you're gonna move the station up in time by adding more '90s, you have to let go of some more of the crispety-crunchety '70s titles. Maybe I'm just a crotchety old person...but, hey, that's the demographic!

I have to agree here. WOGL almost sounds like an Adult Hits station with some of the songs they're playing (even going into the early 2010s with a few selections!), while still having a fairly small playlist compared to other Adult Hits stations. Not to mention that it's still fairly '80s heavy comapred to most Adult Hits stations, which only dedicate around 50% of their spins or so to songs from that decade. WBEN-FM IMO is the better and more cohesive station, which is probably why they do better in the sales demos, even if the older lean on WOGL leads to it having more 55+ listeners and therefore typically beating Ben 6+.

Eh, I like WOGL more after the refresh. Still like Ben more, but WOGL’s music mix works for me. And I’m fine with plenty of Phil. 🤷

But my tastes will jump around anyway, so a classic 80s gem into a 2000s/2010s tune not only isn’t a problem, it’s great.

Also understand fully others will strongly disagree.

What's weird is that a few years ago, WOGL leaned more R&B/rhythmic while WCBS-FM New York leaned more towards the pop-rock side of things. Now it's gotten to be the reverse. Did each city's respective tastes also shift in opposite directions over time, or is it just different programming strategies? I'm personally more on the rhythmic side (unless it's new wave/alt/indie rock), and could definitely do without Phil Collins and "Sweet Home Alabama", but again it's all about preference.

I hear WOGL playing songs like Return of the Mack By Mark Morrison and No Diggidy by Blackstreet. When not too long ago you would never hear them
Well, that's kinda how Classic Hits works: songs have to (for want of a better term) "age into" the format. Both of the songs you mentioned were released in 1996. That was 27 years ago. [Did anyone else's heart just stop for a second?] They test well and they're the right age for the format...and that's why you're hearing them on Big 98.1.

Last edited:
Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I see or hear a reference to Bob Pantano or Saturday Night Dance Party, "Heaven Must Have Sent You" by Bonnie Pointer jumps into my head and gets stuck there for the rest of the day. 😂
I hear the CBS-era voice announcer say "the Bob Pantano Dance Party" in my head every time I read it. "On 98.1 WOGL and on the shore at *insert station I forget here* Ocean City Atlantic City*"

Looking over WOGL’s recently played, I see Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” as one of the tracks played. That one is a staple of adult hits stations that play “newer” music - I also see “Funkytown”, “Return of the Mack”, “Come As You Are”, and “We’re Not Gonna Take It” - nothing wrong with any of the songs in my book, but definitely more adult hits leaning/sounding than most classic hits stations (at the other end of the state, you can compare it to 94-5 3WS which is much more typical “classic hits”).

WOGL has a very interesting strategy.

Looking over WOGL’s recently played, I see Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” as one of the tracks played. That one is a staple of adult hits stations that play “newer” music - I also see “Funkytown”, “Return of the Mack”, “Come As You Are”, and “We’re Not Gonna Take It” - nothing wrong with any of the songs in my book, but definitely more adult hits leaning/sounding than most classic hits stations (at the other end of the state, you can compare it to 94-5 3WS which is much more typical “classic hits”).

WOGL has a very interesting strategy.
They've leaned sparingly into the 2000's... I heard "Sugar We're Goin' Down" a few times. "Rolling in the Deep" would definitely be the "newest" song in their playlist. But if the research shows that the target demo wants to hear it, and playing that one song won't cannibalize listenership on B101 and The New 96.5, then go for it.

I stream Ben FM a lot down here in SC. IMO, musically, it sounds more like a classic hits station than WOGL which sounds more like an adult hits station. Ben is a smidge more 80s centric and less in to the later 90s/00s than WOGL. Then again, the lines between adult and classic hits have increasingly blurred in many markets where it just comes down to the presentation, some musical differences, and a few other factors.

‘OGL is definitely changing with the times. Personally, I dont get the hype around Audacy’s classic hits stations on these boards compared to those owned by iHeart, Cumulus, etc, but if it works, which it obviously is in many markets, more power to them!

Iheart and Cumulus classic hits stations are much more classic leaning than Audacy's. WMJI, KLTH,KLOU, WWSW, KCMO,WJJK are almost all 60 70s and 80s with very few 90s and hardly no 2000's

Last edited:
I've heard Ride Wit Me on WOGL too. I liked the Oldies as they used to be, but like their musical direction now too.
In this market, nobody is gonna play Dell Shannon next to Nelly which would be my real prefference. No adult hits station will be that wide here.
But yes I'm liking the roling in the deep next to say Rick Springfield Jessy's girl too.

Back
Top Bottom