• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Some morning tropo here in Bothell, WA

This morning, I got the following stations over tropo.

KINK Portland, OR (158 miles)

KKCW Beaverton, OR (162 miles)
KWLN Wilson Creek, WA (146 miles)

I might have picked up KXLE, but I wasn't listening hard enough.

A bonus logging from yesterday

KUJJ Hermiston, OR (193 miles)

Logging using a Sony XDR-F1HD Global Tuners node in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richlieur, Quebec, yesterday.

KPLO Reliance, SD (1292 miles)

It's kinda cheating, I know that, but it's a good logging from Quebec. E-skip.

-crainbebo

More loggings

KQAC Portland, OR (158 miles)

KOPB Portland, OR (158 miles)

KUFO Portland, OR (158 miles)

104.1 (tentative)
KFIS Scappoose, OR (143 miles)

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
Logging using a Sony XDR-F1HD Global Tuners node in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richlieur, Quebec, yesterday.

KPLO Reliance, SD (1292 miles)

It's kinda cheating, I know that, but it's a good logging from Quebec. E-skip.

-crainbebo

Remote DXing - what a concept!

I use the site "Global Tuners" to get KPLO. The node is near Montreal.

-crainbebo

I see nothing wrong with the idea of Romote DXing from sites such as Global Tuners or VirtualTuners.DE as long as the site used to DX from is mentioned, I mean, it's still DXing, so what if it's not your radio or that your not physically there, if you were you'd still be getting the same thing, it's no less valid and I've heard many time on Glen Houser's show where dx reports do mention "via Global Tuner". I do it myself, I used many a DX tuner to pull in various NHK World radio transmissions from various sites on the various transmitters. What I mean is Radio Japan is on far too early in the early morning from Sackville (heck, the stations transmit remotely too!) even though it's the closest to me, I don't bother when I can get one of the signals from the home country via remote tuner in Cornoa California. Heck, I've been thinking of setting up one of these thing for years myself.

Yes, but I think it's cheating because you can fly to that town and DX there with the same radio.

-crainbebo

Absolutely nothing wrong with 'remote' DX'ing. It's kind of cool to leave your area (without actually leaving your house) and hear what you can DX from other areas of the country.

I tuned a radio in Tucson, AZ one night and heard KOMO-1000 from Seattle. I also heard the sign-off of a daytimer on 1120 from somewhere in Utah.

Of course it's not as exciting as actually DX'ing on your own radio, plus you sometimes have to wait to play with the radio, but if you can get in and you know exactly what you want to try and hear, it's alright.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

I lived in Tucson until a few years ago and I used to listen to a local station on 1330 (KJLL) as I drove home. I lived in one of the station's night pattern nulls and as the signal got worse as I got close to home, I would hear some fairly interesting co-channel stuff going on. One other station I would hear was obviously a Native American outlet of some kind, with chanting music and the occasional HS football game called in both English and whatever the local tribe language would have been. I never got an ID on that one.

I also heard what sounded like a station signing off (with the Star-Spangled Banner) on that frequency at around 9PM Tucson time in the summer. That would correspond to midnight Eastern, so maybe I was hearing an East Coast station, but I never got an ID from that either.

You might want to put that remote Tucson tuner on 1330 late some night to see what you hear.

DJKraze said:
I see nothing wrong with the idea of Romote DXing from sites such as Global Tuners or VirtualTuners.DE as long as the site used to DX from is mentioned, I mean, it's still DXing, so what if it's not your radio or that your not physically there, if you were you'd still be getting the same thing, it's no less valid and I've heard many time on Glen Houser's show where dx reports do mention "via Global Tuner". I do it myself, I used many a DX tuner to pull in various NHK World radio transmissions from various sites on the various transmitters. What I mean is Radio Japan is on far too early in the early morning from Sackville (heck, the stations transmit remotely too!) even though it's the closest to me, I don't bother when I can get one of the signals from the home country via remote tuner in Cornoa California. Heck, I've been thinking of setting up one of these thing for years myself.

I think remote DX is great. What a wonderful idea.

crainbebo--

All of your Portland listings check out except the 89.9 one--the call is KBPS, not KQAC.

"104.1
KFIS Scappoose, OR (143 miles)
" <-- NICE

"The Fish" has been, by my experience, one of the absolute hardest to catch in my area (and supposedly I'm right within its service area! http://www.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/fm_tv_service_areas/maps/FM595835.jpg) Even at a high elevation in the southern Central Vancouver hills, I have found it quite dodgy. Did you hear it in stereo, by chance?

Now, for a real treat: fire up your SCA rig, tune in 88.3 Mc and see if you can catch Radio Svoboda on KBVM's 67 kHz sub.....!!

No it isn't. KBPS changed their callsign in April.

Anyway, I got KINK, KKCW and KXDD (Yakima) today. I got KWLN Wilson Creek, WA yesterday. Haven't heard any E-skip in a week.

-crainbebo

"No it isn't. KBPS changed their callsign in April."

Yes, they did. I do apologise. I guess I must have missed the news of their changing in April.....just heard an on-air ident for "Quality All Classical KQAC" about 1/2 hour ago. Of course, it having been about a year since I last really attention to the station probably explains it, too........

KBPS=K Benson Polytechnic High School, where, as I understand, the station operated in its earlier years. Its studio is still located in the same building, but no longer has any affiliation with the school. However, BPHS does run the venerable student-programmed mediumwave KBPS-AM on 1450 to this day, and carried a simulcast of KBPS-FM on the weekends. (That is, the station is operated by students at the school, but it is owned by Portland Public Schools--BPHS' student body hasn't owned the station since 1930.) Huh, that was the same school my late Grampa attended in the 40's......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom