• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Soft Rock with a Twang?

Is "Soft Rock with a Twang" a fair description of modern Country music, the kind that you hear on new music based Country radio these days? As described in another thread, Taylor Swift's Never, Never Getting Back Together falls into that category. You've got some pretty hard rocking guitar on a couple of Jason Aldean hits (correct?). About 5 years ago I made this "Soft Rock with a Twang" description on another site and got hammered by a Country music fan and a Country radio personality.

ya, it done been watered down for a more mass appeal to younger demos/major urban markets, who have little past knowledge/reference of what this thing called country music is. in the process of doing so, they about uprooted the heart and soul of the entire genre.

while there is always a nugget or two back marking the current country charts, much of the real stuff still survives in texas roots, and the Americana format. artists, and groups like the derailers, marty stuart, dale watson, hankIII,kimberly murray,sunny sweeny,shawn camp and james hand, to name a few. also, several of our beloved country royalty like gene watson, hank jr, and leona williams keep the original sound alive and fresh into the future with out a mass commercial audience, due to lack of airplay, and therefore knowledge of.

dont fret over being hammered by some "green" country music fan, or some "wackey" country radio personality. when your right your right, and hold your ground. only weak personalities, go along to get along.
okay, over and out until next rant!

How about southern hip hop? Some of it sounds almost like rap. What ever that stuff is, it ain't Country.

A lot of modern country sounds more like rock music to me. That must be why my mom and so many people around her age group like classic rock and country. I guess that rock music started changing sometime in the 1990's with grunge and rap metal, while probably at about the same time, country started sounding more like how some rock music was before the 1990's.

Carrie Underwood's "Blown Away" is a song I've heard several times on an AM country station. That song actually sounds more like some kind of harder-edged rock music than country, especially toward the end of the song. While I like the song, the most country thing about it to my ears are the references to Oklahoma.

werecat said:
A lot of modern country sounds more like rock music to me. That must be why my mom and so many people around her age group like classic rock and country. I guess that rock music started changing sometime in the 1990's with grunge and rap metal, while probably at about the same time, country started sounding more like how some rock music was before the 1990's.

Carrie Underwood's "Blown Away" is a song I've heard several times on an AM country station. That song actually sounds more like some kind of harder-edged rock music than country, especially toward the end of the song. While I like the song, the most country thing about it to my ears are the references to Oklahoma.

Meanwhile these contemporary country stations are leaving us die-hard Traditional Country lovers with nothing to listen to on the radio, except a few sporadic classic country stations that are also trying to bridge the generation gap. They would rather play Kenny Rogers, than Kenny Price.

The question is: What's the purpose of music? To fit some pre-determined category, or for people to enjoy?

At the end of the day, commercial radio and the music industry is about appealing to an audience, not sitting in a museum. The museum stuff is great, and it's easily available for those who want to pay for it. But for everyone else, music is a business and it's supposed to be fun. Musicians don't want to be restricted by someone else's definitions.

The history of music, including country, is filled with examples where the popular music of the day broke from the past. Eddy Arnold was probably one of the first who brought Sinatra-like crooning to what had been considered "hillbilly music." He was followed by dozens of other legends, like Jim Reeves or Patsy Cline. On any given night, you can go to the Opry and hear Jim Ed Brown or Connie Smith do the real mushy Country-Politan stuff from the 60s.

TheBigA said:
On any given night, you can go to the Opry and hear Jim Ed Brown or Connie Smith do the real mushy Country-Politan stuff from the 60s.

I have a question for you. I see all the messages going by related to the new "Nash" formatting/branding or whatever it is.

I realize the music, the sound, will be different, but is this "format fad" like Countrypolitan was "the music packaged up a bit differently" in the 1960s?

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
I realize the music, the sound, will be different, but is this "format fad" like Countrypolitan was "the music packaged up a bit differently" in the 1960s?

I don't think so...the motivation is different. The reason for Countrypolitan was to grab attention from pop. Country producers changed the music to get attention. Right now, country is hot. The reason Cumulus is risking a radio station in NYC on country is to capitalize on its current popularity.

Like any other genre, Country music evolves with the tastes of the times. The sound of much of what passes for country music today repulses me. To be fair though, I feel the same way about today's POP/AC, or whatever they're calling it.

All artforms "evolve". Thankfully, as BigA pointed out, my kind of country is still available on CD and at the Grand Ol' Opry. Might I add Branson to that list?

TheBigA said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
Might I add Branson to that list?
Have you been to Branson lately? It's not what it once was.
That's interesting, although visiting Branson is dream I haven't yet fulfilled. To date, my impression of Branson is awash in "family-friendly" images delivered on commercial TV, particularly on RFD TV, but elsewhere too.

jfrancispastirchak said:
To date, my impression of Branson is awash in "family-friendly" images delivered on commercial TV, particularly on RFD TV, but elsewhere too.

If you're an evangelical Christian, it's a great vacation spot. But not so much for country music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom