• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SOCK HOP SATURDAY NIGHT 25th Anniversary on WPPB 88.3

This past Tuesday, April 2, it was 25 years ago at 8:00PM I entered the WICC AM 600 studios to begin a journey that I would never have imagined would still be in full swing today. SOCK HOP SATURDAY NIGHT started with an intro and Bill Haley & His Comets with Rock Around The Clock. This Saturday's show celebrates not only the 25th anniversary, but also the 100,000 song played on the air! In addition, I have been on every single show since the start...1250 shows and perfect attendance! I've met countless wonderful people, endured some of the kind of treatment you would think was made up, and enjoyed some of the best moments of my life.

Many of you are still with me after all those years. Thank you for your friendship and loyalty. You're all just as an important part of the show as the music itself. Although Larry O'Neill and Rosemary Carlson haven't been with me since day one, there isn't anyway I would have gotten to day 1250 without them. They are just as much part of the celebration as I am. They're the best.

Through the history of the show, I've been on four radio stations:
WICC AM in Bridgeport. For about a year the show was also simulcast on WFAS FM in Westchester. The WICC reign ended on Saturday, September 6, 2003.

The show had listeners in Long Island, namely the big guys at WLNG FM in Sag Harbor. They noticed the show was gone, contacted me, and I was back on the air in March of 2004. While at WLNG, I racked up 15 years doing this show!

Things happened in November of 2018 that eventually led to me leaving WLNG on Feb 16, 2019. To end all rumors and gossip, the move was completely, 100% my choosing. They are great broadcasters at WLNG and I shall miss them.

But, without a skip in the beat I landed the show (with some help) at WPPB FM from Southampton, Long Island and there is where the 1250th show and 25th anniversary will take place.

When I first started the show, I figured I'd be doing it for two, maybe three years until the novelty wore off. Was I ever wrong. So here I am 25 years later, awash in memories and looking forward to the future. It's been a great ride. I've met so many appreciative fans. I've also lost some dear ones through the years. You've all been so supportive of my efforts and I truly appreciate how much you enjoy the music and my presentation of it.

Will there be another 25 years? Highly doubtful. Not only because of my age but the very nature and structure of radio broadcasting changes every year. But rest assured that as long as I can keep going with what I have, you'll be treated to all the best American oldies. God bless you all and THANK YOU!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom