• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So, what happens with KISS-FMs morning show?

I would assume that if the show is canceled that the CC stations will go with Elvis Duran, with the exception of KHKS which would probably have a local show. Cumulus stations would probably go with the Bert Show. For other stations like KSYN and KXIX, I really don't know. They could either go with local shows or another syndicated show. I honestly have not listened much, but I caught the end of the tribute show this morning and felt like I had been listening for a long time. R.I.P.

bobdavcav said:
I would assume that if the show is canceled that the CC stations will go with Elvis Duran, with the exception of KHKS which would probably have a local show. Cumulus stations would probably go with the Bert Show. For other stations like KSYN and KXIX, I really don't know. They could either go with local shows or another syndicated show. I honestly have not listened much, but I caught the end of the tribute show this morning and felt like I had been listening for a long time. R.I.P.

A large amount of his affiliates are Townsquare and Entercom. Those would probably have more free choice in picking if cancellation occurs.

Non-CC stations probably go with The Bert Show. Makes the most sense since he's got some of the closest ties to Kidd in country and could retain his audience. CC stations probably go with Elvis Duran or Ace and TJ in the Bible Belt cities.

miked5551 said:
The Bert Show?

some show that sounded like it was put on by the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" before they got the SNL gig. Of course, they where doing a live gig, so they may not have been at their best. but what I heard was not ready for a NYC audience. or even a Georgia one..

There's also morning shows out of OKC and Houston that are on the same format that KKITM is on, that plan on syndicating in the next year or two.

But to be honest, I don't think the show will ever get canned. Too much of a fanbase I think for it to be cancelled outright due to a death.

I can't imagine KKITM listeners accepting a new show any time soon. Not even Bert, who some may remember but probably not fondly. It would probably be more effective to keep running Best-Ofs for a while, until people are ready for something else. So many people have listened to Kidd for so long that he feels like part of their lives (I've seen this comment 100x this week); it wouldn't be a good idea to force a new person on them right away, at least not in the Metroplex.

PS: Just listened to the Pugs Moran show from yesterday. He's speculating that Billy the Kidd might take over on the morning show. Haven't heard that anywhere else, but it's an interesting theory.

Elvis in the bible belt I doubt that...too raunchy humor. People initially in the Reading/Lancaster Area were angry over FM 97 switching to Elvis in the AM.

Billy the kid would be my choice if I were the one making it. He has a big heart when it comes to Kidd's kids and he's joined them on the Disney world trips. He has a nice sense of humor and I think he would be a good fit into the existing cast.

Gordonradio said:
Billy the kid would be my choice if I were the one making it. He has a big heart when it comes to Kidd's kids and he's joined them on the Disney world trips. He has a nice sense of humor and I think he would be a good fit into the existing cast.

You know what? That is a good ideal. I think he would be great in the morning

Billy was very emotional when he went on the air to break the bad news to the Kiss listeners. Kidd's work needs to continue because he made such a difference in so many people's lives. Not only did he make folks smile and give them a reason to laugh in the mornings, he also brought some happiness to families who were going through things so rough and challenging that most of us could never imagine. We need someone who knows this market and cares about the listeners. Kraddick was a fixture here for the past 21 years in the morning not including his time at the Eagle. So I would really like to see Billy join the gang and keep Kidd Kraddick's work alive. Things will never be the same, but I think he could fill those shoes as big as they are.

Gordonradio said:

Kraddicks magic was being a smart ass & candy ass simultaneously. He could win over the ladies with his caring demeanor, but keep 'cool' with the fellas getting some shots here and there. I haven't heard that balance with Billy. As harsh as this sounds, he seems too femine/soft to cover all the bases. Go ahead and throw rotten fruit at me, wouldn't be the first time.

metroneck said:
As harsh as this sounds, he seems too femine/soft to cover all the bases.

He'll fit in pretty well, but I think he'll learn that he has to appeal to the male audience here and there.

XCountry285 said:
Elvis in the bible belt I doubt that...too raunchy humor. People initially in the Reading/Lancaster Area were angry over FM 97 switching to Elvis in the AM.

http://www.elvisduran.com/pages/allstations.html

He's in a lot of places in the Bible Belt already, but a lot of his affiliates are in college towns like Tuscaloosa, Alabama and College Station, Texas (I guess the students mainly listen?). I'm surprised he's in Chattanooga, TN and several small market cities in Georgia.

I think the best move would be to just carry on the show with more responsibilities to Al and Kellie. Then maybe add a 5th voice who would be the new minor personality a la Jenna/J-Si. I think they could still be #1 in Dallas and in their older affiliates like SA. Continuing on Dish Nation would also continue to give them exposure.

Atomic344 said:
I think the best move would be to just carry on the show with more responsibilities to Al and Kellie. Then maybe add a 5th voice who would be the new minor personality a la Jenna/J-Si. I think they could still be #1 in Dallas and in their older affiliates like SA. Continuing on Dish Nation would also continue to give them exposure.

That's likely the scenario of what will happen.

Hey I wouldn't mind being the new 'minor' 5th voice of the show.

With all due respect, I would suggest to you that without Kidd, there is no show.

Ask yourself, could Ed McMahon have carried the Tonight Show if something happened to Johnny?

Could Paul Schaffer host Late Night if Letterman was gone?

Am I the only one that thinks it is somewhat creepy to keep hearing "best of" shows when the main player has passed away?

It is a sad reality, but sooner not later, an attempt to move forward needs to commence.

The last thing you would want is for there to be a perception that this is somehow being used for self promotion on the part of the station.

In addition, listeners come to us in radio to be picked up, propped up informed and entertained. It is entirely appropriate to react to this incident initially, but a week long wake on the air could be sending many listeners elsewhere in hopes of finding fun. I am confident the staff is reeeling in shock and sadness, but there are listeners still looking for happiness, fun and positives.

Steve Eberhart said:
With all due respect, I would suggest to you that without Kidd, there is no show.

Ask yourself, could Ed McMahon have carried the Tonight Show if something happened to Johnny?

Am I the only one that thinks it is somewhat creepy to keep hearing "best of" shows when the main player has passed away?

It is a sad reality, but sooner not later, an attempt to move forward needs to commence.

The last thing you would want is for there to be a perception that this is somehow being used for self promotion on the part of the station.

In addition, listeners come to us in radio to be picked up, propped up informed and entertained. It is entirely appropriate to react to this incident initially, but a week long wake on the air could be sending many listeners elsewhere in hopes of finding fun. I am confident the staff is reeeling in shock and sadness, but there are listeners still looking for happiness, fun and positives.

I agree with Steve's assessment, the show was Kraddick. Period. The bit players while talented in each their own way are just that, bit players. The players contributed to the overall chemistry which was "cooked up" by Kidd, But without Kidd to tie all the elements together, the chemistry that was "the show", is over.

Could Billy do a new show? OF COURSE!!

BUT, he will need to bring in his own players.

That's harsh I know, but Billy would not be able to brand and grow the show with the previous players. Billy would need his own fresh players to develop the chemistry to keep the show moving forward.

On the continuing "Best of" shows, I'm pretty certain from having worked with Kraddick for five years at the Eagle, he would definitely want the station to "get past this" and QUICKLY move on...

Jay Walker said:
Steve Eberhart said:

I agree with Steve's assessment, the show was Kraddick. Period. The bit players while talented in each their own way are just that, bit players. The players contributed to the overall chemistry which was "cooked up" by Kidd, But without Kidd to tie all the elements together, the chemistry that was "the show", is over.

Could Billy do a new show? OF COURSE!!

BUT, he will need to bring in his own players.

That's harsh I know, but Billy would not be able to brand and grow the show with the previous players. Billy would need his own fresh players to develop the chemistry to keep the show moving forward.

On the continuing "Best of" shows, I'm pretty certain from having worked with Kraddick for five years at the Eagle, he would definitely want the station to "get past this" and QUICKLY move on...

So you're saying there will be no more Kellie, Big Al, Jenna, J-Si? Where are they going to if that happens?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom