• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz returns to State College, PA!

E

elevator_opratr

Finally some GOOD news in this time of smooth jazz stations slowly dropping off. Smooth Jazz has returned to an interesting, rural market ... State College, Pennsylvania, in the form of 94.5 WSMO. Interestingly, smooth jazz was tried in this market in 2002, I believe, only to have its plug quickly pulled after all of one or two books. Lack of promotion, however, I feel was the main problem with the old station, which I believe was called WOJZ and was somewhere in the 97 point something or other frequency. My facts escape me right now.

Anyhow, back to the point at hand, despite it being an odd market, there's no reason it can't work in this market. State College is a cultural and artsy little city, nestled in the mountains of north central PA, and home to PA's biggest college, Penn State University. Let's route for the new WSMO. They've already got their website up, too!

http://smoothjazz945online.com/home/

> Finally some GOOD news in this time of smooth jazz stations
> slowly dropping off. Smooth Jazz has returned to an
> interesting, rural market ... State College, Pennsylvania,
> in the form of 94.5 WSMO. Interestingly, smooth jazz was
> tried in this market in 2002, I believe, only to have its
> plug quickly pulled after all of one or two books. Lack of
> promotion, however, I feel was the main problem with the old
> station, which I believe was called WOJZ and was somewhere
> in the 97 point something or other frequency. My facts
> escape me right now.
>
> Anyhow, back to the point at hand, despite it being an odd
> market, there's no reason it can't work in this market.
> State College is a cultural and artsy little city, nestled
> in the mountains of north central PA, and home to PA's
> biggest college, Penn State University. Let's route for the
> new WSMO. They've already got their website up, too!
>
> http://smoothjazz945online.com/home/
>

Looks like you have the jones radio feed, which I think is the way smooth jazz radio should be done. I listen to the Tallahassee (Jones) station all day at work.

Nock

Great news! Let me say though, how does the general Central PA vicinity have TWO Smooth Jazz stations and such markets from Boston to Pittsburgh to Charlotte to Nashville (and more now that others have signed off) don't? LOL Though, and maybe I'm giving radio consultants too much credit, but with all the Smooth Jazz stations changing format and the fact there was a Smooth Jazz station in that market that signed off as elevator_opratr mentioned, someone must have came up with some type of research that Smooth Jazz could work there. Maybe. LOL Anyway, best of luck to it, I'll be pulling for it too. I'm heading west to Ohio in a couple weeks so I should be able to sample it. <P ID="signature">______________
Nick Langan
WNJL.com Radio
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom