• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz return to Seattle airwaves

Unfortunately, it is not a full over the air signal, but at least it is an HD2 channel. KKWF 100.7 "The Wolf" dropped All Comedy Radio yesterday and added the new "listen to the smooth rhythmic sounds of 100.7 HD2." They don't mention smooth jazz, I guess because they are scared to call it that, but they are definitely playing a 75/25 ratio of contemporary/smooth jazz cuts to soft rhythmic AC cuts. Being commercial free is also an advantage, and they are showing all the titles and artists of songs played over the HD receiver. A win-win for all of us who were heartbroken back in December when KWJZ 98.9 dropped Smooth Jazz after 19 years in the format.

Entercom programs a similar Smooth Jazz station in Kansas City, coincidentally on the WOLF 106.5 WDAF's HD 2 channel.

Great! I like their mix of vocals and instrumentals. Much more variety than KWJZ in it's last year. Glad I own a HD radio. Hopefully they stream also.

KKWF HD2 switched to "The Delta" blues programming this week. Even though KMTT HD2 is broadcasting the same thing. So much for variety in HD programming in Seattle.

Not quite accurate Jake. KKWF HD2 is "THE DELTA" and KMTT HD2 is some other crap they are programming. It is a mix of obscure Classic Rock smashed together with some blues music. See my comments on the Seattle board. Someone has a screw loose thinking anyone would listen to the garbage on KMTT HD2. Have to listen to Sirius/XM Watercolors now at home and in the car, way to drive HD radio listeners away. The Smooth Jazz format was the last vestige of my HD Radio listening.

discjockeyjohn64 said:
Not quite accurate Jake. KKWF HD2 is "THE DELTA" and KMTT HD2 is some other crap they are programming. It is a mix of obscure Classic Rock smashed together with some blues music. See my comments on the Seattle board. Someone has a screw loose thinking anyone would listen to the garbage on KMTT HD2. Have to listen to Sirius/XM Watercolors now at home and in the car, way to drive HD radio listeners away. The Smooth Jazz format was the last vestige of my HD Radio listening.

HD had a LOT of potential. But instead of utilizing it to it's maximum potential, which these station clusters could EASILY afford to do, they just slap together something or some syndicated feed on a computer and let it rip.

And then they wonder why nobody is interested in HD Radio? HD Radio was supposed to compete head to head with satellite, but satellite is still whipping it's butt. And roughly about 5 average, non-radio people in each HD market even knows HD Radio exists. Why is that?

If HD Radio is going to survive, the industry is going to have to either get serious about making it the revolution it was supposed to be 10 years ago. Or just turn the damn things off and save some money.

What they get out of HD Radio is what they put into it. Period. But they better do something. Soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom