• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz During Commercials on KMGL in OKC

Has anybody notice Renda's AC KMGL in Oklahoma City have been playing "Smooth Jazz" during the commercial period? They have been doing this for two weeks already. When they did it for the first time I thought the program was interrupted with a 30 secs smooth jazz song, but it turn out to be a whole 2-3 minutes smooth jazz song. So, I thought the program was interrupted by a whole smooth jazz song signaling a format change to Smooth Jazz, but thank god it didn't since I just realized it was played during the commercial period. After that, they have continued to play Smooth Jazz during commercials for a while already.

I've been wondering why KMGL have been playing smooth jazz during commercials for over two weeks already. After a while, I was still worried it's a sign that KMGL is fixing to dropped their AC format for Smooth Jazz, but after a while I believe that's not how a station signals a format change. I believe it must be some type of commercial program going on. Maybe it could be a 9/11 tribute which is a good thing. Why would an AC station standing at 6th place in the market with 4.9 market share dropped it's AC format for a dying Smooth Jazz format. Anybody knows what's going on with KMGL?

I really like KMGL. It's a very good AC station compare to other AC stations in the nation. It is the only AC station in OKC.

Btw, I know that Renda's KMGL and KOMA runs the Ad Council Ads on their commercial program. I'm not sure if the smooth jazz songs that is played during the commercial period is part of the Ad Council.

andrewduong77 said:
Are the smooth jazz songs played during the commercial period on online streams are played on the over-the-air 104.1 as well?

All radio stations that stream online will almost never let over-the-air commercials on the stream. Advertisers pay for over-the-air ads only...they would have to pay alot more for the benefit of their ad being available worldwide. The smooth jazz stuff you're hearing is just filler until the commercials end and they can put the stream back online.

ionosphere said:
andrewduong77 said:
Are the smooth jazz songs played during the commercial period on online streams are played on the over-the-air 104.1 as well?

All radio stations that stream online will almost never let over-the-air commercials on the stream. Advertisers pay for over-the-air ads only...they would have to pay alot more for the benefit of their ad being available worldwide. The smooth jazz stuff you're hearing is just filler until the commercials end and they can put the stream back online.

All three Renda stations KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO in OKC have been streaming online since last May. All three stations have been running Ad Council Ads to fill up commercial breaks on their streams. Other two Renda stations KBEZ and KHTT in Tulsa recently brought back online streaming as well, but I don't know since when, I think around July or August, I guess. Both stations are also running Ad Council Ads to fill up commercial breaks on their streams.

I do understand your point that Renda runs Ad Council Ads to fill up commercial breaks on their online streams. All three Renda stations KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO in OKC and both Renda stations KBEZ and KHTT in Tulsa runs Ad Council Ads on their online streams, but KMGL is the only station out of the 5 stations that is playing smooth jazz during commercial breaks along with the Ad Council Ads recently. They never done this before ever since they got their online stream, they just normally play Ad Council Ads and now they're the only station starting to play smooth jazz songs during commercial breaks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom