• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz died in Dallas/Fort Worth

I agree...they could have dumped another station. Now Houston is the only city in Texas with smooth jazz. Oh well...I've always have Watercolors and Beyond Jazz on XM.

Jay F...it's a trend...Broadcast Arch doesn't really need the SM affiliates the way they did...with the new SJ Network they're launching they'll get more business...with national shows with jocks like Ramsey Lewis...and don't be surprised of Chris Botti, Dave Koz or other SJ stars or even top talent from Philly or Dallas pop up. What will be gone are the local jocks and expensive market vets on SJ stations (the ones with no prior history of SJ...maybe AC, talk or something like that). BA will get more sign ons since now SJ will be able to operate more cheaply and only have top talent presenting the music. Maybe a few local VTs here and there on weekend and fringe, but Ramsey Lewis, Whoopi and others will be the SJ morning stars, and top talent or musician stars will be afternoon or nights. Good performing SJs will remain status quo, but look for more defections from the format from some struggling stations, but BA won't be hurting. SJ will get bigger, just cheaper to operate. But the music will be exactly the same. Have you ever looked at Dave Koz Show playlist? Just like any other SJ station. So new stations will sign on while others sign off and go for MOVIN' Rhythmic AC and other new flavors for a quick turn-around. Keep in mind that SJ is for folks who don't know any better. The market isn't big enough for people (like us on these boards) who "know" music. Remakes of past hits and barely there arrangements is the thing and this will continue to be the staple of SJ music. SJ is almost 20 years old and the network will be celebrating this first quarter of 2007. SJ will basically become a national playlist. It will no longer be of significance to see what SJ stations around the country are adding. And new sign-ons won't have to put that music in their data base. I thought the format was goingto die after the Philly thing...but in 2007...it's going to be huge..but with FAR less on-air players. Look for SJ talent to drop off in chunks over the next few months as stations "upgrade" (read: save money, operate smoothly, get rid of talent) to the new network. BA will reap the hugest benefit. No wonder they're so excited.

I am a Texan and we aren't all country bumpkins! The Oasis was awesome. I live in the north Dallas area but when I was in Houston, remember when 95.7 changed from Country to Smooth jazz. It is a very GOOOODDDD station. But your right, probably another country or rap station. Sad day in paradise>

I am a Texan too and I started this thread. I'm not country bumpkin either. In fact, I cannot STAND country and western music. They could blow all of those stations up and I wouldn't be upset.

With that being said, The Oasis was getting a "little" long in its teeth. The playlist wasn't completely smooth jazz and hadn't been for a long time. I made this same observation oh the DFW threads.

When you start playing Earth Wind and Fire, Phil Collins, Sting and Gerry Rafferty to name a few, that is NOT Smooth Jazz. I remember they (The Oasis) used to play a MUCH better mix of music when it was on 106.1 and owned by Gannett. They played Horizont and some "cool" songs like "Sleepwalking" by Level 42. I'm sorry, I'm a huge Phil Colins fan but some of his "hit songs" are not truly in my opinion in the smooth jazz genre.

Hopefully, somebody will come back and blow up another format and give smooth jazz another chance in Dallas, but I kind of doubt it. :(

geez i was looking forward to another texas city with smooth jazz...so i guess houston is the only city in tx w/ smooth jazz. Austin's 106.3 is long gone along with san antonio's 106.7. at least i have watercolors on xm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom