• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Skipping...

I was recently in the US, and while listening to various radio stations in various cities, I noticed that there seems to be a lot of (what I would discricribe as) audio skipping. It was only half a second, but it was very noticable, especially during cold read ads, where whole words would go missing. What would cause this?

Would that be on sat. delivered radio stations in their spot-breaks? There is a flaw with some of the automatic spot delivery systems within sat tuners that has created that half a second stumbing issue. The spots are regionalized spots that are delivered and played directly out of the sat tuner.

OKCRadioGuy said:
Would that be on sat. delivered radio stations in their spot-breaks? There is a flaw with some of the automatic spot delivery systems within sat tuners that has created that half a second stumbing issue. The spots are regionalized spots that are delivered and played directly out of the sat tuner.

No, it was happening on big city stations, that (I'm guessing) were live.

Stations included...
KITS (San Francisco)
WXRT (Chicago)
WWFS (New York)
KYSR - (Los Angeles)

Lots of possibilities. Hard drives that are on the edge of failure, overloaded shared storage subsystems, network latency when using NAS or SAN technology ... there are lots of scenarios for momentary disruption in a digital data stream.

Were you listening to these stations via the Internet?

R

Bet the iPod takes the FM signal and converts it to digital and buffers it for playback just like all other tuners used in computers.

boiseengineer said:
Bet the iPod takes the FM signal and converts it to digital and buffers it for playback just like all other tuners used in computers.

It didn't do it this time last year (when I was in the US), and I was listening on an iPod then as well.

Same exact iPod Nano?
No software or firmware updates?
No new apps?

Poor signal may cause buffering.

Listen on an analog radio and see if you hear the same thing then get back to us.

I also suspect it's an iPod issue.

R

That's a hell of a cross-country trip!

For what it's worth, I've never heard any audio skipping on WWFS when listening OTA... or any other CBS music station for that matter.

Any skipping I've ever heard has been caused by satellite-delivered spots.

It's the marvel of digital audio. It must do that sometimes..
Just like carts had to have head azimuth issues, wow/flutter.
Just like unbalanced audio will pick up rf and hum, it's the nature of the beast.

Could also be blips in the STL -- If their using a Digital STL Path...

A local FM Cluster where I live recently moved and I hear skips and drop outs in their audio often (I found out from someone that they are using an unlicensed 5 Ghz IP Link for STL now - which is also evident by the Wifi dish on top of their studios) ...

My automation (Audiovault) never 'blips', ever. Now, there are two stations in town that do. Both of them use public internet and IP solutions to get the audio to the transmitter. That is more than likely what you heard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom