• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius XM loses over a quarter-million subscribers in Q1 of 2024

"In a given month."
I'm sorry, but that's not particularly impressive. It also doesn't mean they are spending much time listening when they are reached once a month, either.
If the average person went to restaurant 1 once a month... that's great, but when the full picture is that they're eating the rest of their meals at the other restaurant...
One reason I didn't subscribe was that I found out there is a separate subscription for each receiver, so if I wanted to listen at home, I had to pay twice as much ... AND buy another receiver. Ridiculous. Why not have the ability to use two receivers with one subscription? So if I had subscribed it would have only been in the car. Also, back then, there were better channels than there are now. I wouldn't be happy with any one channel but I would be going back and forth to different channels. For ten years after I first considered getting Sirius/XM I didn't have fast enough Internet to stream but I had a good radio station in my area, at least during the day. Then after it changed I found a streaming station that was poor quality and worked with my slow Internet.
Not to mention... much of that listening happens in the car. Why? Because that's the entertainment form that many cars still have.
I don't even listen to "radio" except in the car where I have to because getting Internet access would be costly and complicated. I could get Sirius/XM but that's a big expense just for the car. Back when I first considered it, the car was so old there didn't seem to be a point. Then I got a newer car where I at least had cassettes as an option but I never took advantage.
I think this is the issue Sirius is going to have long-term. The difference between them and terrestrial radio is that when people tune in once a month to Sirius, they cancel their subscription. It doesn't cost a listener anything to tune into terrestrial radio once a month.
The radio station I listen to in the car most has a lot of good songs. And if I go in one direction, the music is pretty much all good even if the signal isn't. Sometimes I end up changing to a station with a lesser signal but better music. I have many choices at home.

3. Lately I'm noticing more and more dropouts, many on major roads. They're all in the same spots and never seem to resolve.
Why would you think dropouts would resolve themselves? A satellite footprint doesn't change to fill in some hole, no more than a transmit tower would move. It's all just physics.

The quality of audio on SiriusXM is also rather dreadful. It really sucks to pay for something that sounds so mediocre. I do really like the programming of some stations (Octane) but I think that’s the extent of it. Everything else I can find locally with better audio and local DJs or on my playlist. Spotify is an amazing service.

I also think MANY people wouldn’t pay to stream radio content when they can just simply stream podcasts they want to listen to or music playlists tailored to their need.

Maybe a weird opinion, but satellite radio has less of a future than FM Radio. Their stream catalogue is simply counter intuitive into why people stream.

Maybe a weird opinion, but satellite radio has less of a future than FM Radio. Their stream catalogue is simply counter intuitive into why people stream.
How many Satellite subscribers have you interviewed to come to that conclusion'

For example, I like a variety of music from the last 4 decades of Country to Classical to 70's, 80's and some 60's pop to classic rock to.... But generally I do not want them mixed; I want a specific kind of music at any particular moment. So I do not fit you assumption.

So tell us why you think people stream?

(Research says the main reasons are personal choice and no commercials)

SiriusXM will make that more difficult than you can ever imagine.
It‘s almost as bad as canceling a cable subscription. It took me 15 minutes once to convince them I DID NOT want to keep a radio subscription because I no longer had the radio. I didn’t need streaming since I already had it with my car, I didn’t want another subscription for the radio at a discounted rate, etc etc etc. They stop at nothing when it comes to trying to cancel.

One can cancel a paid iHeart or TuneIn plan, Spotify, Youtube Music, or Apple Music subscription in less than 2 minutes without having to be bothered with a retention department. The cancellation process feels like something from 20 years ago.

One can cancel a paid iHeart or TuneIn plan, Spotify, Youtube Music, or Apple Music subscription in less than 2 minutes without having to be bothered with a retention department. The cancellation process feels like something from 20 years ago.
It's likely that they have considerable research in "what it takes" to reduce churn. We are the victims of it. It's something we go through every year or two, just like a dental appointment. But at least we get to pick our own chair!

Median means there are an equal number of listeners on either side. So a station with a median age of 50 has half of its listeners under 50.

CHR is targeting women 25-49 so nearly all are in that range.
I understand that, but in the case of an age 50 median, it also means half of them are over 50, in some formats (news talk, format #3; Classic Hits #5 and Classic Rock #6) even higher. Is that a potential problem? Seven of the top ten formats listed on p. 17 have medians of 50+ or 49. Has it always been this way? And are the average ages different -- if they even know that from the research.

EDIT: I just saw that BigA probably answered my question. Fair enough.

I understand that, but in the case of an age 50 median, it also means half of them are over 50, in some formats (news talk, format #3; Classic Hits #5 and Classic Rock #6) even higher. Is that a potential problem?
No. Buyers who use ratings, mostly agencies, don't even look at that. They look at the listening in the target demo of their campaign and compare it to the rate they wish to pay for that amount of listening.
Seven of the top ten formats listed on p. 17 have medians of 50+ or 49. Has it always been this way? And are the average ages different -- if they even know that from the research.
It's getting older as those under 25 and many in 25-34 don't use radio as much as older groups.

My personal opinion-

As I recall one satellite radio company used booster transmitters on Earth, in addition to their satellites. If the combined company still uses them, in many markets listeners may be hearing a terrestrial booster most of the time. Also depending on how the company uses its available broadcast channel (considering backwards compatibility with existing receivers) it may be possible to use time, frequency and redundancy to mitigate reception problems in moving receivers. And at the GHz frequency used, it may be possible for a receiver to use a diversity antenna.

On the audio side, considering the number of stations offered and the broadcast channel bandwidth, audio quality of the over the air received signal of a satellite radio company is likely to be poor when compared to the audio quality possible with existing analog FM radio. On Internet streaming everyone theoretically has a level audio playing field. But for private, subscription-free over the air entertainment, the existing analog FM system is capable of providing the best audio sound quality to the audience.

Here in the United States the marketplace chose independent, private over the air broadcast years ago. Analog AM and analog FM broadcast provide service to the public with independence, diversity of voices and can do it without relying on a single point of failure, or delivery system monopoly or cartel.

AM and FM provide the audience unique benefits for over the air reception of audio entertainment and information.
After all these years, I still love radio.

Last edited:
It‘s almost as bad as canceling a cable subscription. It took me 15 minutes once to convince them I DID NOT want to keep a radio subscription because I no longer had the radio.

It's the same old story. People don't want to pay for something they can get for free. Radio, TV, music, event tickets. Everyone is looking to be entertained for free. The bad news is the people who make the entertainment all want to get paid. The recording artists keep increasing the music royalty. The people who make TV shows & movies all signed a new deal to get paid more. Who pays? The consumer. And advertisers have many more options for their money too. So it will mean that advertising won't be enough to pay for the content. We already see this in broadcast radio. We need another revenue stream, because :30 spots won't pay all the costs for radio. Somebody has to pay for all this!

It's the same old story. People don't want to pay for something they can get for free. Radio, TV, music, event tickets. Everyone is looking to be entertained for free. The bad news is the people who make the entertainment all want to get paid. The recording artists keep increasing the music royalty. The people who make TV shows & movies all signed a new deal to get paid more. Who pays? The consumer. And advertisers have many more options for their money too. So it will mean that advertising won't be enough to pay for the content. We already see this in broadcast radio. We need another revenue stream, because :30 spots won't pay all the costs for radio. Somebody has to pay for all this!
That's an interesting point that's seen here on a regular basis: "Free radio and TV doesn't play/show what I want all the time, so it's no longer anything I like."
"Subscription streaming and SXM costs money and isn't as convenient as free radio and TV, so I refuse to pay for it."

That's an interesting point that's seen here on a regular basis: "Free radio and TV doesn't play/show what I want all the time, so it's no longer anything I like."
"Subscription streaming and SXM costs money and isn't as convenient as free radio and TV, so I refuse to pay for it."

Add to that: There are too many commercials. What about public radio? Too much begging for money. What about free streaming? They interrupt the music with commercials.

So people want it for free, and they don't want any commercials or pitches for money or subscription fees.

Oh yes, they also want their own personalized playlists. For free. No ads, no nothing.

Why would you think dropouts would resolve themselves? A satellite footprint doesn't change to fill in some hole, no more than a transmit tower would move. It's all just physics.
Then how did the dropouts occur? Nothing on the ground has changed - no trees, no new buildings. I'm not a tech genius like you.

Then how did the dropouts occur? Nothing on the ground has changed - no trees, no new buildings. I'm not a tech genius like you.
Whether satellite or terrestrial radio signals, countless natural or man-made things could cause reception dropouts depending on the frequency in a particular physical spot. Antenna orientation toward the satellite in the southern sky is another reason. Examples can include tree canopies, rock formations, buildings, or anything that could reflect or shield an antenna from receiving a signal. Blaming the provider or broadcaster because your receiver is affected in certain spots is placing blame where the laws of physics are the one that rules.

Add to that: There are too many commercials. What about public radio? Too much begging for money. What about free streaming? They interrupt the music with commercials.

So people want it for free, and they don't want any commercials or pitches for money or subscription fees.

Oh yes, they also want their own personalized playlists. For free. No ads, no nothing.
And add another one that I just replied to: "I'm hearing dropouts in a particular area, so why would I pay for the service?"

So they want everything they want all the time, with no expectation of commercials or interruptions, no asking for donations,
don't expect any interruption to the service, and don't want to pay anything for the service
No doubt I missed a few things.

Whether satellite or terrestrial radio signals, countless natural or man-made things could cause reception dropouts depending on the frequency in a particular physical spot. Antenna orientation toward the satellite in the southern sky is another reason. Examples can include tree canopies, rock formations, buildings, or anything that could reflect or shield an antenna from receiving a signal. Blaming the provider or broadcaster because your receiver is affected in certain spots is placing blame where the laws of physics are the one that rules
Blaming the provider? Please note that my post said:
A few thoughts: ... 3. Lately I'm noticing more and more dropouts, many on major roads. They're all in the same spots and never seem to resolve.
That's known as an "observation." If I remarked that LED traffic lights are affecting my AM reception does that mean I'm "blaming" the radio stations? Of course not.

Everyone wants something for free. It's interesting though - my kids (20 and 24) have been Spotify subscribers for a long time and pay for the ad-free version. It's really changed their views of what they want to listen to. We've had SXM in our cars for years and they always enjoyed Alt Nation. We all enjoyed the ad-free presentation. Recently my son was home and we were going somewhere with SXM playing. During a brief stopset, he says, "I HATE it when they talk in between songs!". So, for him, even commercial free radio is too cluttered.

So, for him, even commercial free radio is too cluttered.

I think that's what I was getting at earlier in the thread. Because most streaming services are unhosted, people assume all music delivery is unhosted. That may be playing a part in why people are dropping Sirius. Also why broadcast radio struggles. I imagine a commercial free version of Jack would do well. While some view human hosts are value added, others see it as an interruption and clutter.

Back
Top Bottom