• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sinclair selling KOMO, KVI & KPLZ

Yes, I remember Kent Alan calling Kube on the air. I think it Tom Hutley they had on. Also there was Urban Assult vehicle. Around 90,91 Kube went to Pirate radio, then came hiphop. I remember Kplz going to party radio, then came Star. David, I've always thought 1st impression is important in every aspect of life. Give listen next week and love to hear your impression. Still interested in the 9 stations you owned and where? You for sure have me beat for years in the biz. I started at 15, I think Seatown may have started at a younger age at C 89?
(I edited your post as it appeared as a quote from another poster)

First impressions are important, but Lotus may have had the choice of turning all the stations off for a few days or trying hard to do hundreds of transition-based things while continuing to broadcast.

Lotus is a good private and debt free company. They generally run good but frugal operations and do well in all their markets. So give them some time, and then criticize them if warranted

I have been in radio since 1959 when I started at WJMO and WCUY in Cleveland. In 1964 I founded a group in Ecuador that grew into 5 FM (the first FMs in that nation) and 4 FM in Quito, and an AM each in Guayaquil, Cuenca, Ambato, Tulcan, Lago Agrio and Bahía de Caráquez and about a dozen FM CPs that I never built. https://www.davidgleason.com/1964-1970-Ecuador-Main-Page.htm

Sorry, I don't think anyone was intentionally ignoring you. What was the question?
Didn't mean you Kelly, David said he owned a cluster of 9 stations in the 60s. I mentioned c89, I thought oyou ran it when I believe you won a couple of teen books. I know you know your stuff. Have nothing but respect for you and your career. I even remember hearing Don Kelly. You've been a fantastic mentor to many that have contributed to our industry. Have you listened to the new 101.5. Would be great to get your take. Music sounds tightened up this weekend.

(I edited your post as it appeared as a quote from another poster)

First impressions are important, but Lotus may have had the choice of turning all the stations off for a few days or trying hard to do hundreds of transition-based things while continuing to broadcast.

Lotus is a good private and debt free company. They generally run good but frugal operations and do well in all their markets. So give them some time, and then criticize them if warranted

I have been in radio since 1959 when I started at WJMO and WCUY in Cleveland. In 1964 I founded a group in Ecuador that grew into 5 FM (the first FMs in that nation) and 4 FM in Quito, and an AM each in Guayaquil, Cuenca, Ambato, Tulcan, Lago Agrio and Bahía de Caráquez and about a dozen FM CPs that I never built. https://www.davidgleason.com/1964-1970-Ecuador-Main-Page.htm
That's awesome! I'd give Lotus a pass, but even the morning team. Said they we're practicing starting 4 weeks ago. Studios have been available during those 3 weeks. Your right, they should turned off the xtrans. Lol. I heard the on air staff practicing live last weekend. I know you know the Kamelson family. I've heard nothing but great things about Howard.

Btw, 2 times I've been part of format or with a brand new staff. We came in with well researched music, kept talk to a minimum to start, TV, billboard and bus promotion and a big buck giveaway. Results were amazing. You can see the reaction to this transaction on the Star105 Facebook page.

Btw, 2 times I've been part of format or with a brand new staff. We came in with well researched music, kept talk to a minimum to start, TV, billboard and bus promotion and a big buck giveaway. Results were amazing. You can see the reaction to this transaction on the Star105 Facebook page.
It makes sense that there would be some listener pushback after all of these changes have taken place. Star 101.5 has been the same for decades at this point, and we’re seeing the station for the first time without Kent Phillips. Even if the music didn’t change, there was bound to be some complaints with three new shows.

I mentioned c89, I thought oyou ran it when I believe you won a couple of teen books.
Yes those were interesting times. It was great to work with the students and volunteers to build (at the time) a pretty disruptive force, at least for a high school radio station. You're correct, for about two years C89 was number one in teen demos, and something like fifth in 18-24MF. I knew we were doing well, when one of the commercial station program directors called me one day and lost his mind, berating me and the station. That alone confirmed we were doing something right. Ironically, that same PD, along with other PD's in the market and beyond, ended up hiring some of those same students and volunteers. Mission accomplished.

You've been a fantastic mentor to many that have contributed to our industry.
Thank you, appreciate the kind words.
Have you listened to the new 101.5. Would be great to get your take. Music sounds tightened up this weekend.
I haven't had the opportunity yet. Was in Seattle for the holidays, but have been back working in Washington, D.C. since. Will see if I can catch the stream this week.

Eric Powers comes to mind. What a career so far. From Pd, music director, and a real force on whatever shift he does, all here in the Seattle market, but would do well in any market in the US.

Have you listened to the new 101.5. Would be great to get your take. Music sounds tightened up this weekend.
On your suggestion, I listened to Star 101.5 via the stream yesterday over a couple hours while at my desk at work.
My impression: Sounds like they widened the playlist a little to accommodate some older but safe hot AC artist/titles. My guess is those titles were probably tested in advance with some call-out research. Some of older songs could be an effort to spread the demo slightly. That, and there isn't a lot of new music coming out, so if you want to freshen up the sound, you may need to go further down the bench.

Sometimes doing this might also help drive some 'sample cume', to see how many older titles would be acceptable prior to adding talent and imaging. I'd expect a little more early experimentation and tweaking of the playlist before the final product will be unveiled, so those on this board shouldn't get too wrapped around the axle as adjustments and research is conducted.

I think that the rules have changed somewhat, but not a lot. You go with the proven hits. You go with safe new music. Especially in this pandemic time, you want to program to those looking for comfort radio. And that means, familiar and proven songs. This won't last forever, but it is the solution right now.

It's easy to blame our personality disorders on other peoples' thin skin.
As radio centered people (active listener, hobbyist, current-former professional, college, amateur or anything connected with getting voices/music out on analog airwaves) I've always felt we have our own Asperger's-like, unique place on the personality spectrum; Everyone's got a particular unique specialty (if completely unbeknownst to them) and are almost genius level at it. But a stubborn, almost gospel-like adherence to what they know/think they know about anything else. And I'm just as guilty as hell of that too.

Have to say you are probably correct here, BW. And I am guilty as well.

Concurrent with this thought is the idea that we are all very different and bring a different view to a channel like this. Some of us get pretty antsy if the conversation veers too wildly from the originally posted subject. Those would be folks who are essentially self-appointed moderators, and I believe have an honest goal of attempting to keep an interesting (albeit very specific) subject going. Other folks view a forum like this much more like a conversation, and like any normal conversation the actual subject may wary wildly from what was initially proposed. One type will post "this thread has completely gone off the rails" like that's a bad thing, because in their view it definitely is. The other extreme will post "this thread has gone off the rails, which is interesting, and here is another post to get it even further off the rails."

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle, probably more towards the "stoned, dorm room conversation" end of the spectrum. But I can definitely see why it is hard moderating a board like this!

My impression: Sounds like they widened the playlist a little to accommodate some older but safe hot AC artist/titles. My guess is those titles were probably tested in advance with some call-out research.
From my experience running a 60 person research operation I can make some observations:

First, music testing has changed dramatically over the last six to eight years. No longer are "Auditorium Music Tests" done in hotel meeting rooms or community centers. A local research recruiter or a phone bank recruiter provides the proper number of people to do an online music test where they hear the songs and score them. There are very few in-person tests, and the pandemic likely ended that forever.

Generally, an online test will look for about 100 persons, give or take. They will do multiple "sessions" of several hundred songs and might do a total of 500-600 in what might be a normal format test, and up to and over 1000 in a variety format test or a test for a "new" format where the operator wants to cover everything.

A phone test might still be used for currents / recurrents but that methodology does not work for more than 25 to 30 songs at a time. Currents, at better stations, are tested with a recruited panel who does 25 or so songs online every 10 days or so for perhaps 6 to 10 total tests before being replaced. Often a phone bank will find the recruits and handle the verification and data processing with their own software or Cornerstone's product. Hooks may be done by the station or by a hook provider.

So, my suspicion is that Lotus has a "safe list" that they found works in its other markets or which they have acquired and they are adding some of that music in preparation for a full Music Test in the many hundreds of song range. One of the reasons why they would not test "a few" songs is that the recruit cost for a small test is just as high as for hundreds of songs. While this varies by market, a recruiter may charge $100 up to around $150 for the recruit and an additional fee will go to the recruit... often as much as the recruit fee (but variable depending on the market... money is worth less in New York City than in Sioux Falls. Then there is a data processing fee as well... so it adds up. Test 200 songs or test 600, it is going to cost just about the same.
Some of older songs could be an effort to spread the demo slightly. That, and there isn't a lot of new music coming out, so if you want to freshen up the sound, you may need to go further down the bench.
Or widen the lens, either in artists and styles or in deeper cuts. The problem is that once the core is departed from, most songs will have widely differing scores among respondents.
Sometimes doing this might also help drive some 'sample cume', to see how many older titles would be acceptable prior to adding talent and imaging. I'd expect a little more early experimentation and tweaking of the playlist before the final product will be unveiled, so those on this board shouldn't get too wrapped around the axle as adjustments and research is conducted.
A new version of the format or even a fine tuning of the old one has to have a full music test. It can't be done in kibbles and bits. One reason for that is that unless you test all songs with the same group at the same time you have "climate variables" such as sad cloudy days and n ice sunny ones that change median scores. But mostly you need all songs heard by the same group so you can do cluster / factor analysis to see things like fit, subgroups with polarization, etc.

That said, the first test I did in the 70's was a gathering in a room of about 15 fans of our music and we played hundreds of cuts and the people did a thumb up, thumb down or flat hand for like, hate, no opinion. Oh, we had beer in a cooler. And snacks. We cut the station playlist from over 1200 to around 400, cut currents from over 40 to about 18. The station had been dead last among FMs in the market and the next book it was an overwhelming double digit #1. So even some amateur badly done research is better than absolutely nothing.

Oh, that test was in a market of over 2,000,000 with over 40 stations in our coverage area.

Now is there any room to squeeze an analog translator for KVI somewhere? If they can get that going, new doors can open for KVI. possibly as a music format?

Now is there any room to squeeze an analog translator for KVI somewhere? If they can get that going, new doors can open for KVI. possibly as a music format?
Nope. Short of buying an existing translator from someone else, the windows for getting new translators for AM stations were open only for a few years and have been closed since 2018.

KPLZ is now an HD radio station.

I smell KOMO (or KNWN or whenever that was supposed to take place) and KVI simulcasts coming on KPLZ-HD.

Nope. Short of buying an existing translator from someone else, the windows for getting new translators for AM stations were open only for a few years and have been closed since 2018.
Wow. And the pickin's here look kinda bony....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom