• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Since when is it illegal to carry cash?

Stories like this really bug me. This woman was carrying nearly $47,000 in her bra. The feds seized the money for no other reason than it was a lot of dough. She is suing. I hope she wins.

"Anthony Pettigrew, a spokesman for the DEA in Boston, said he could not comment on the lawsuit. But he said federal asset forfeiture <big><u>laws allow agents to seize suspected drug profits.</u>

Full text of story here</big><P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

> Stories like this really bug me. This woman was carrying
> nearly $47,000 in her bra. The feds seized the money for no
> other reason than it was a lot of dough. She is suing. I
> hope she wins.
>
> "Anthony Pettigrew, a spokesman for the DEA in Boston, said
> he could not comment on the lawsuit. But he said federal
> asset forfeiture laws allow agents to seize suspected drug
> profits.
>
> Full text of story here
>

Well, if she was carrying $47,000 in her bra, that is a little suspicious. But the feds better have a good case. The gov. is pissing me off these days.<P ID="signature">______________
Dennis</P>

> Stories like this really bug me. This woman was carrying
> nearly $47,000 in her bra. The feds seized the money for no
> other reason than it was a lot of dough. She is suing. I
> hope she wins.
>
> "Anthony Pettigrew, a spokesman for the DEA in Boston, said
> he could not comment on the lawsuit. But he said federal
> asset forfeiture laws allow agents to seize suspected drug
> profits.
>
> Full text of story here
>

I have known for a long time you can't withdraw money from a bank more than $10,000 or deposit more than that in cash a day. That's why Rush Limbaugh was withdrawing $9000.00 several times a week..or so for his drugs they said.

He knew he would have to account for carrying around $10,000 cash or more..

I think this is supspicious..$47,000 is alot to carry around. I think she's avoiding the IRS maybe for the sale of her business.

<div align="justify"><font face=arial size=3>"I have known for a long time you can't withdraw money from a bank more than $10,000 or deposit more than that in cash a day. That's why Rush Limbaugh was withdrawing $9000.00 several times a week..or so for his drugs they said."

If you know that, you know wrong. It's not illegal to withdraw more than $10,000 at a time. The law requires that the bank <u>report</u> the transaction to the feds if it's more than $10,000. That's why Rush Limbaugh is alleged to have withdrawn $9,000 several times per week. I haven't followed this closely. Do we know for sure that he withdrew money in that fashion or is that just something you recall reading in the news? I recall reading it in the news, but I don't remember if it was well-sourced or if it's one of those news rumors. Since Limbaugh hasn't even been charged with a crime, it would concern me if his banking habits could be reported to the public like that. It concerns me because if it can be done to him, it can be done to me.

"I think this is supspicious..$47,000 is alot to carry around. I think she's avoiding the IRS maybe for the sale of her business."

You think it's to avoid the IRS, the feds think it's drug money. Doesn't it strike you as a little odd that you need a jury of your peers to convict you if you are charged with a crime, but the DEA can conviscate $47,000 unless you prove it's NOT drug money?

I know drug dealers deal in cash. But I had a eccentric uncle who did the same thing. The woman is not even suing for damages, she merely wants her $47,000 dollars back.<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

> Well, if she was carrying $47,000 in her bra, that is a
> little suspicious. But the feds better have a good case. The
> gov. is pissing me off these days.

The feds have no case and don't need one. As has been the case for years, the DEA has broad powers to confiscate cash, cars and boats. It's scary. <P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

>

I can read regular size print.

You don't have to enlarge for me.

I do read the news or hear it on radio and TV...

I don't remember all the details how Rush's banking habits became public
but I remember hearing about it. Just was using it as an example of what most
Americans should know already about carring alot of cash around. You don't do it. It's looks suspicious. It's that simple.

It's just one of the downfalls of livin' in the Usa..

What if she does turn out to be a drug dealer?.. How will you feel about that?

How hard is it to convert cash to paper like a certified check/money order bank acount anyway? We have atm/visa/debit cards now..Travelers checks, MONEY ORDERS. Why go from Boston to Texas to get plastic surgery? Is the clinic near the Mexican Border?.. Maybe they only take cash deposits for surgery. I doubt that. Would you carry that much cash around with you and on an airplane? Forget the DEA guys..
I would be afraid of getting mugged and robbed..
This isn't the 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's..
Cash is just too easy to be stolen or lost..

When the DEA is satisfied she is not dealing drugs maybe they will give her money back.

I can read regular size print.

Sorry. Seems like people in radio or on average, old, so I'm sometimes not sure how good the eyesight is. Okay, that's not really why I did it. It's just a small style thing I sometimes do to make my posts different. But if <font color=red>c<font color=green>o<font color=blue>n<font color=black>f<font color=red>o<font color=green>r<font color=black>m<font color=red>i<font color=blue>t<font color=green>y<font color=black>is important to you, I'll make mine the same font and size font as everyone elses.

"I do read the news or hear it on radio and TV...

Now come on. You don't believe everything on radio and tv do you? It seems as if everyone knows better than to believe everything they read on the internet but if a newspaper, radio or tv station reports it, that's perceived as authoritative. I guess I know too many idiot reporters at Brand Name media outlets to be so inclined.

"I don't remember all the details how Rush's banking habits became public but I remember hearing about it."

I remember hearing something about a lot of people. It's called gossip. When reported in the news media, it's news gossip. I did a Google search Results here but was unable to substantiate it. But with 5,390 results, I'm not going through all of them. I can't find any substantial media outlets. Just a bunch of nameless blogs with no attribution. I will assume it to be gossip unless someone can reference it for me.

"Just was using it as an example of what most Americans should know already about carring alot of cash around. You don't do it. It's looks suspicious. It's that simple. It's just one of the downfalls of livin' in the Usa..

Apparently so, but it didn't used to be. It used to be that you had to go to places like the Soviet Union to find this kind of law enforcement. Now that the USSR is gone, I guess the US DEA is taking up the slack.

"What if she does turn out to be a drug dealer?.. How will you feel about that?"

It depends on what you mean by "turns out". Do you mean that a DEA agent says she is? A reporter? Or do you mean if she is convicted by a jury who finds her guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Even if convinced she is a drug dealer, I would be angry about the power of the DEA who can act with impunity.

"How hard is it to convert cash to paper like a certified check/money order bank acount anyway? We have atm/visa/debit cards now..Travelers checks, MONEY ORDERS. Why go from Boston to Texas to get plastic surgery? Is the clinic near the Mexican Border?.. Maybe they only take cash deposits for surgery. I doubt that. Would you carry that much cash around with you and on an airplane?

From my way of thinking, carrying cash is much less convenient but that's beside my point. You may be comfortable with the idea of having to justify your perfectly legal activities to the feds but I'm not.

"Forget the DEA guys.. I would be afraid of getting mugged and robbed..

I can replace my money. The feds can take much more than that.

"When the DEA is satisfied she is not dealing drugs maybe they will give her money back.

I can see you are comfortable with the idea that she must prove her innocence. I still like it better when the government has to prove you're guilty. <P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

The forfeiture laws are ridiculous. You set up a booth at the flea market, have a good day and carry the cash with you so you can deposit it, the feds will just "assume" its drug money. But people put up with it, because we're all sheep. There are times we need the Soviet Union back for the sake of comparison.

> > Well, if she was carrying $47,000 in her bra, that is a
> > little suspicious. But the feds better have a good case.
> The
> > gov. is pissing me off these days.
>
>
> The feds have no case and don't need one. As has been the
> case for years, the DEA has broad powers to confiscate cash,
> cars and boats. It's scary.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
I'll get back to you when I think of a cute quote</P>

> > Stories like this really bug me. This woman was carrying
> > nearly $47,000 in her bra. The feds seized the money for
> no
> > other reason than it was a lot of dough. She is suing. I
> > hope she wins.
> >
> > "Anthony Pettigrew, a spokesman for the DEA in Boston,
> said
> > he could not comment on the lawsuit. But he said federal
> > asset forfeiture laws allow agents to seize suspected drug
>
> > profits.
> >
> > Full text of story here
> >
>
> Well, if she was carrying $47,000 in her bra, that is a
> little suspicious. But the feds better have a good case. The
> gov. is pissing me off these days.
>

$47,000 in a bra??? This kind of defines the difference between "strapped for cash" and actually being poor.

Just to tick 'em off

> I have known for a long time you can't withdraw money from a
> bank more than $10,000 or deposit more than that in cash a
> day.

Not true.

You can deposit or withdraw any amount you wish in a single day
(provided you have the money).

What does happen (if it's a cash deposit or withdrawal), the
bank has to fill about a pound and a half of paperwork for the
feds.

On occasion I've been piSSed off at some action of a bank, like
cashing a check for an amount other than I wrote it for. So
I go down to one branch, withdraw $10,001. Walk across town
to another branch of the same band and deposit the cash. Then
wander back to the first branch and withdraw it. After about
5 of these transactions I ask to see the manager of the bank
and ask whether he'd prefer to fix the transaction they loused
up or see me go from bank to bank generating paperwork for
them.

Amazing how well it works!

Only drawback, you lose interest on the money while in transit.
All of about $0.03!<P ID="signature">______________
lesahab.jpg
Due to underwhelming popular demand...</P>

Solution:

Legalize drugs and have the government controll it and tax it!

Thats the only reason the government gets into it - they cant make money off of it. Cigarettes and booze are bad for you, yet are still sold....<P ID="signature">______________

AOL IM: wnjoldies or jamminoldies105
CBS-FM lives at http://67.83.115.5:8010
Oldies Board co-moderator</P>

Re: Solution:

> Legalize drugs and have the government controll it and tax
> it!
>
> Thats the only reason the government gets into it - they
> cant make money off of it. Cigarettes and booze are bad for
> you, yet are still sold....
>

A tempting argument, but flawed for the following reasons:
- Cigarettes don't impair one's ability to function normally.
- Alcohol can be consumed in moderation without impairing ability, especially when consumed with food.
- Drugs are used for one reason: to get high. Period. The user's goal is impairment.
- The social toll of alcoholism is too high as it is. Add legalized drugs, and the toll climbs. And no government money can make up for it.
- We lose so many people to vehicle accidents caused by drunken driving. That loss will only increase if drugs are legalized. Again, no tax money can make up for that.

> Legalize drugs and have the government controll it and tax
> it!

> Thats the only reason the government gets into it - they
> cant make money off of it. Cigarettes and booze are bad for
> you, yet are still sold....

You'll get no argument from me. I've researched this and was surprised to find that the US didn't pass strong anti-drug laws until the late 1800's/early 1900's. Up until then, taking drugs was considered merely stupid.

Here's what Milton Friedman had to say recently on the topic. Friedman is now 92 years old but has been writing on this topic for many years. He is the recipient of the 1976 Nobel Prize for Economic Science: <big>""I've long been in favor of legalizing all drugs," he says, but not because of the standard libertarian arguments for unrestricted personal freedom. "Look at the factual consequences: The harm done and the corruption created by these laws...the costs are one of the lesser evils." </big>

This is a June 2nd 2005 quote at Forbes.com. Full text here <P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

Shall we debate? :)

> - Cigarettes don't impair one's ability to function
> normally.

That may be true in a superficial sense, but consider the following: an addiction is an addiction, no matter what form it is in. An addiction to ANYTHING (including cigarettes) will change how someone thinks, reacts, or controls their behavior. Think of the smoker who "needs" the cigarette break at work every hour or so, or think of how moody a smoker who usually smokes a pack every day gets when they don't have their cigarettes. The hallucinogenic properties of drugs may be powerful, but the mind when addicted can sometimes be stronger than chemicals.

> - Alcohol can be consumed in moderation without impairing
> ability, especially when consumed with food.

I read a report on a study that was done with about 100 college students, the jist of it follows: 100 college students; 50 given a clear alcoholic beverage, the other 50 given a clear non-alcoholic beverage.

The whole night, all 100 college students drank and partied. The odd thing was, they all got drunk. At the end of the night, the 50 non-alcohol-drinking students, who stammered, stumbled, and, for all intents and purposes, WERE drunk, were told that they hadn't had alcohol at all. Those 50 students (very quickly) sobered and went on with their night.

Again, the effects of alcohol, though not completely, are a sort of mind game. The level of impairment, as this study shows, almost seems baseless, except for how impaired the drinker wants to be. The point though: not food nor anything else controls how "drunk" someone is going to get, the person does, irregardless of moderation.

> - Drugs are used for one reason: to get high. Period. The
> user's goal is impairment.

And what say you about the medicinal benefits of some drugs? What about the person who only gets a numbing effect from drugs such as marijuana, and doesn't become impaired at all?

> - The social toll of alcoholism is too high as it is. Add
> legalized drugs, and the toll climbs. And no government
> money can make up for it.

Agreed. I have no argument for this except that the levels of drug abuse are already almost the same as the levels of alcoholism. Which leads to...

> - We lose so many people to vehicle accidents caused by
> drunken driving. That loss will only increase if drugs are
> legalized. Again, no tax money can make up for that.

...the fact that we don't see half as many accidents due to drug use as drunk driving. While being "drunk" impairs the sense of prudency (a drunk driver is more inclined to driver faster and more irratically), being high slows you down (and in essence makes you safer!). Plus, it would seem that a person who is high more often than not lacks the lucidity to even get behind the wheel at all! I doubt we'd see an increase in accidents caused by impairment from drugs as we see with drunk driving.

You make very valid points and I hope I get the honor of a response from you! Understand, I've never even touched cigarettes, alocohol, nor any drugs, I simply enjoy a good, clean debate (and have studied this for the past few years). :) I hope you do as well!<P ID="signature">______________
Chris Roberts
fifthphoenix.com / fpxmedia.com
phoenixvillecommunity.com</P>

> Shall we debate? :)

I'm game.

>
> > - Cigarettes don't impair one's ability to function
> > normally.
>
> That may be true in a superficial sense, but consider the
> following: an addiction is an addiction, no matter what form
> it is in. An addiction to ANYTHING (including cigarettes)
> will change how someone thinks, reacts, or controls their
> behavior. Think of the smoker who "needs" the cigarette
> break at work every hour or so, or think of how moody a
> smoker who usually smokes a pack every day gets when they
> don't have their cigarettes. The hallucinogenic properties
> of drugs may be powerful, but the mind when addicted can
> sometimes be stronger than chemicals.
>

The act of smoking the cigarette doesn't lead to impairment. You've cited effects of withdrawal, not smoking, but while you have evidence of a person's mood change due to withdrawal, you have no evidence that the body's reaction causes impairment of motor skills. Same with coffee. Same with nervousness.

> > - Alcohol can be consumed in moderation without impairing
>
> > ability, especially when consumed with food.
>
> I read a report on a study that was done with about 100
> college students, the jist of it follows: 100 college
> students; 50 given a clear alcoholic beverage, the other 50
> given a clear non-alcoholic beverage.
>
> The whole night, all 100 college students drank and partied.
> The odd thing was, they all got drunk. At the end of the
> night, the 50 non-alcohol-drinking students, who stammered,
> stumbled, and, for all intents and purposes, WERE drunk,
> were told that they hadn't had alcohol at all. Those 50
> students (very quickly) sobered and went on with their
> night.
>
> Again, the effects of alcohol, though not completely, are a
> sort of mind game. The level of impairment, as this study
> shows, almost seems baseless, except for how impaired the
> drinker wants to be. The point though: not food nor
> anything else controls how "drunk" someone is going to get,
> the person does, irregardless of moderation.
>

First, I'd need to see the report itself before I can accept its validity.

Second, were those students in that study tested for actual impairment, or were they just acting stupid? You said yourself that they very quickly sobered up, which leads me to believe the latter. Drunkenness and the accompanying loss of motor skills cannot be controlled. Although a person may act in control, his motor skills are still compromised by alcohol. The effects of alcohol are not a mind game, they're a physiological fact.

Third, it's a medical fact that certain factors mitigate blood/alcohol content (bac). Examples include body size and food consumption. It's the bac that determines the impairment, not how stupid the person is acting.

Fourth, the fact that we have a minimum threshold for impairment (0.08% for driving a vehicle in most states, 0.04% for flying an airplane) suggests that there is a tolerable level of impairment.

> > - Drugs are used for one reason: to get high. Period. The
>
> > user's goal is impairment.
>
> And what say you about the medicinal benefits of some drugs?
> What about the person who only gets a numbing effect from
> drugs such as marijuana, and doesn't become impaired at all?
>

The numbing effect is evidence of the impairment. Again, impairment is defined by the effect on the body, not by the person's actions. The theoretical person you cite is impaired.

Our nation has consistently allowed the use of narcotic substances, such as codeine, under strict medical supervision. We haven't quite worked out how to implement medical marijuana, but I'm confident that we will.

> ...the fact that we don't see half as many accidents due to
> drug use as drunk driving.

I'm not sure of your statistics, but you need to take into account that habitual drug use is still kept down by the mere fact that it's illegal. That is, many people don't even start, or stop at experimental stage, just because drugs are illegal. Take away that inhibition and it's almost certain that habitual drug use increases. And so will accidents.

> While being "drunk" impairs the
> sense of prudency (a drunk driver is more inclined to driver
> faster and more irratically),

Not necessarily true. I know a fellow who used to get drunk in HS - when driving home, he drove slowly, not fast. That's why drivers who are driving too slowly are also pulled over by police on suspicion of alcohol impairment.

> being high slows you down (and
> in essence makes you safer!).

Again, not true. Police have pulled over speeders who were high on crack, meth, whatever. You're likely citing the common perception that smoking marijuana makes you mellower. Maybe, but if you're driving the wrong way on a road because you're high, it doesn't matter how slow you're going - you're NOT safer.

> Plus, it would seem that a
> person who is high more often than not lacks the lucidity to
> even get behind the wheel at all! I doubt we'd see an
> increase in accidents caused by impairment from drugs as we
> see with drunk driving.

And you've hit the trifecta! You yourself cited accident statistics above, proving that even you don't believe what you just wrote here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom