• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should the Networks Launch Their Own Awards? (Editorial)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/in-contention/emmys-saturday-night-live-broadcast-tv-1234739114/

Remember when the “Saturday Night Live” cast touted itself as the Not Ready for Primetime Players? These days, the long-running NBC sketch comedy series appears to be almost the only broadcast show ready for the Primetime Emmys.

“SNL” landed 15 nominations this year, easily the most of anything in broadcast. The second-most-nominated broadcast program was ABC’s coverage of the Oscars, which landed nine. Scroll down further: NBC’s “The Good Place” and “The Voice” were the most-nominated primetime series this year among broadcaster shows, with six each.

The broadcast networks’ Emmy woes are not new; you can call them part of an “anyone but Netflix and HBO is suffering” story. All told — including PBS but not The CW, which I’m not sure Emmy voters know exists — broadcasters landed 127 noms this year, down from 151 in 2019. Cable received 246, down from 299.

Its an interesting editorial.

What exactly would the "broadcast" awards be celebrating? There's very little on broadcast television that's worth awarding, especially in the comedy categories.

What exactly would the "broadcast" awards be celebrating? There's very little on broadcast television that's worth awarding, especially in the comedy categories.

True and also awards are either going to cable or Streaming on demand outlets due to where the median demos are at.

There are plenty of good shows on network TV.

"Good Girls" is one show I haven't seen mentioned much but the critics like it.

"This Is Us" and "black-ish" continued to get nominations and would occasionally win. "mixed-ish" might also be good enough. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" used to get awards.

I admit without "Modern Family" or "The Good Place" there are fewer comedies worth honoring.

One new show is "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" which seems to be "God Friended Me" meets "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" meets "This Is Us". Two of those three have been nominated for awards.

Does anyone take the CW seriously, look at the ratings for the network.
Shows that I think would be honored if these awards existed are "The 100", "Supergirl", "The Flash", and "Riverdale".

I don't know why I said "This Is Us" above. There are numerous shows where people go through tragic situations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom