• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should 80's be played on Hot AC stations today?

Since Houston doesn't have a good Classic Hits station, AC KODA/Houston is an adult targeted station. KODA doesn't flip to all-Christmas until Thanksgiving and they flip back to regular programming right after Christmas day, so that way they wouldn't take adult listeners from AC staples like Rod Stewart and Elton John for too long. Unlike KODA, AC KVIL/Dallas flips to all-Christmas in mid of November and flip back to regular programming 2 days after Christmas since adult listeners here in Dallas can veer off to Classic Hits KLUV/Dallas during Christmas, IMO.

Actually, I may be wrong. AC KMGL/Oklahoma City doesn't flip to all-Christmas until Thanksgiving and they flip back to regular programming right after Christmas day like KODA, even though adult listeners can veer off to Classic Hits KOMA/Classic Hits for Christmas for a short.

carolinaradio said:
WNIC in Detroit, if I haven't mentioned them already, is an EXTREMELY conservative Hot AC that still plays plenty of 80s - sometimes 3-4 an hour....and a lot of it's the "In Your Eyes", "In The Air Tonight", "Higher Love", "Crazy For You" sleepy type 80s. They even played "Old Time Rock & Roll" recently - which I believe is from '79. Looks like they do a lot of dayparting. I think it's a stretch to call them Hot AC.
A lot of people now associate "Old Time Rock & Roll" with 1983, which is when Tom Cruise danced to it in Risky Business.

firepoint525 said:
carolinaradio said:
WNIC in Detroit, if I haven't mentioned them already, is an EXTREMELY conservative Hot AC that still plays plenty of 80s - sometimes 3-4 an hour....and a lot of it's the "In Your Eyes", "In The Air Tonight", "Higher Love", "Crazy For You" sleepy type 80s. They even played "Old Time Rock & Roll" recently - which I believe is from '79. Looks like they do a lot of dayparting. I think it's a stretch to call them Hot AC.
A lot of people now associate "Old Time Rock & Roll" with 1983, which is when Tom Cruise danced to it in Risky Business.
Good point, but still, it's a rare song to hear on Hot AC - especially in 2011. A lot of times during the day, WNIC/Fresh 100.3 just looks like an uptempo AC station, while they become Hot AC at night. I also see "Rocket Man" is in WNIC's rotation, and that was at night - when they have a hot AC sound :eek:
'NIC probably dayparts because they were an AC station that did well for many, many years - up until their change to Fresh late last year, so they're probably trying to hang on to the old 'at work' audience from their older AC format.

KMYI in San Diego still plays some 80s music, which is Clear Channel.

I feel it depends on what listeners want in your area. Forget about the time-era, just play the music people want. If the audience asks for "Moves like Jagger" mixed with "Sweet Escape" and "Blue Monday" so be it. Play the currents and re-currents but still have a nice selection of older tunes mixed in.

Not to mention there is a lot of people who live in areas without a Adult Hits station. Or an AC that is too light to play anything other than ballads. Could I hear "Come on Ellien" by Dexys Midnight Runners on a AC.

I'm starting to become more adverse to 80s music on Hot AC. As the format has gotten more rhythmic friendly, it seems more out of place to play those slow 80s power ballads or dated new wave. Let Adult Hits, AC, and classic hits have the 80s - if you want to play more older stuff, how about the 90s? A lot of the tracks that were huge hits on Hot AC in that era receive very little aiplay in many places these days.

My local Hot AC - WMYI - still plays Pat Benatar, The Romantics, J. Geils Band, and Cyndi Lauper - up against Karmin, Demi Lovato, One Direction, Gym Class Heroes, The Wanted, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. I think it sounds messy and the 80s totally disrupt the flow of the 90s, 00s, and present. WNIC in Detroit is similar, still playing a lot of those older artists (but I believe they are more conservative than My, not sure though).

I think Cumulus has dropped the 80s from WPLJ in NYC.

carolinaradio said:
I'm starting to become more adverse to 80s music on Hot AC. As the format has gotten more rhythmic friendly, it seems more out of place to play those slow 80s power ballads or dated new wave. Let Adult Hits, AC, and classic hits have the 80s - if you want to play more older stuff, how about the 90s? A lot of the tracks that were huge hits on Hot AC in that era receive very little aiplay in many places these days.

My local Hot AC - WMYI - still plays Pat Benatar, The Romantics, J. Geils Band, and Cyndi Lauper - up against Karmin, Demi Lovato, One Direction, Gym Class Heroes, The Wanted, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. I think it sounds messy and the 80s totally disrupt the flow of the 90s, 00s, and present. WNIC in Detroit is similar, still playing a lot of those older artists (but I believe they are more conservative than My, not sure though).

I think Cumulus has dropped the 80s from WPLJ in NYC.

I don't think the 80s have any place on Hot AC today. The 80s have moved on to what remains mainstream AC and the greatest/classic hits stations. I will state this for all markets.

Hot AC should be more current..not as current as CHR..with 90s and 00s mixed in as gold only.

Seltzer said:
I don't think the 80s have any place on Hot AC today. The 80s have moved on to what remains mainstream AC and the greatest/classic hits stations. I will state this for all markets.

Hot AC should be more current..not as current as CHR..with 90s and 00s mixed in as gold only.
Agreed. WHBC/Canton plays REO "Keep On Loving You" next to "Call Me Maybe" and it couldn't sound more awkward.

I still love the idea of "nineties, zeroes, and now!" Forget the '80s and leave that decade to mainstream AC, soft AC, and Classic Hits.

gamefreak said:
I feel it depends on what listeners want in your area. Forget about the time-era, just play the music people want. If the audience asks for "Moves like Jagger" mixed with "Sweet Escape" and "Blue Monday" so be it. Play the currents and re-currents but still have a nice selection of older tunes mixed in.

Not to mention there is a lot of people who live in areas without a Adult Hits station. Or an AC that is too light to play anything other than ballads. Could I hear "Come on Ellien" by Dexys Midnight Runners on a AC.

That is a regular song on ACs today. Likely yes.

I feel it depends on what listeners want in your area. Forget about the time-era, just play the music people want.

Agreed: Why cut out the songs that test well on your station.

My local Hot AC - WMYI - still plays Pat Benatar, The Romantics, J. Geils Band, and Cyndi Lauper - up against Karmin, Demi Lovato, One Direction, Gym Class Heroes, The Wanted, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc.

All of the songs above fit the desired 25-54 female demo. If you can get mom and her daughter to listen. You have a winning station.

Not to mention there is a lot of people who live in areas without a Adult Hits station.

The could also be the reason your market plays those so called outdated 80's.

Once again, if it works for your station and or market. Why not.
Why cut the B52's, Romantics, heck even KC & The Sunshine Band if if works.

I agree, certain songs will work better, others won't.

I think upbeat '80s still works on Hot AC, but there's some things that just need to be laid to rest...REO Speedwagon, Journey's ballads, Michael Jackson, Stevie Nicks...I could go on.

Basically, I think rock and new wave from the '80s are OK to be sprinkled in. But ballads and songs by groups like those mentioned above just stick out and/or sound outdated. I still wouldn't be disappointed if all '80s were dropped (even though I was a teen during the '80s).

Some of these songs are still big with the younger demos, so tracks like "Don't stop believing" would be ok next to call me maybe or payphone. Most 80s should be dropped though.

chrocket87 said:
Some of these songs are still big with the younger demos, so tracks like "Don't stop believing" would be ok next to call me maybe or payphone. Most 80s should be dropped though.

That's why I mentioned Journey's ballads. Things like "Don't
Stop Believing" and "Separate Ways" are sort of ok. But "Open Arms" and "Faithfully" are better left to traditional AC.

KBIG still plays 80s stuff even though they tout themselves as being "From the 90s Til Now", but its market appropriate hits. Generally, its new wave and alternative from the 80s that made KROQ famous- so it has a market history. If your market didn't have an alternative station in the 80s though, I wouldn't touch 80s alternative on Hot AC in 2012.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom