• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shotgun Tom clip on YouTube

There sure are some cool people on this thread! George, Ox, John, Jeff - good to see you all here.

I will second the statement that Tom is one of the nicest people ever to grace a control room (and one of the savviest record collectors ever - Tom, I'm still waiting for those Who white label Lps! It IS good to see Tom finally getting the recognition he deserves. He's one of this business' living legends, and we ought to remember that there are damned few of those left, and fewer still that remain active on the air. I give thanks every time I turn on KRTH and hear those energetic pipes revving up!

A little perspective on the original B-100's flip to soft A/C: it did indeed happen in 1980. Remember that, as the 70s came to a close, there was a massive backlash against disco and everything identified with it - especially the Top 40 stations that had ridden high on it. Here in San Diego, no one was more identified with that era than B-100. Listenership to all the remaining Top 40s was bleeding off rapidly - KCBQ and 13K were in the ratings dumper, as was KHJ up in LA. No one would have imagined this to have happened just a year before. With that in mind, the decision was made to flip B-100 and go for a share of the lucrative A/C segment. I still remember the TV commercials that ran, with two hot chicks pulling up to a guy in a convertible with "Boogie Fever" blasting out the stereo, and wrinkling their noses, with the message "You've grown up. So has your radio station."

Personally, I hated the switch. At the time, San Diego was packed with A/C stations, and the last thing I wanted to see was another. But in retrospect, it probably saved the station. Gene Knight pulled off a very tough switch and kept it a winner, until the time when Hot A/C came into its own.

- Doc

The long-awaited KGB video of the Shotgun is FINALLY now on Youtube....search on Shotgun Tom 136 and you'll bring it up...

Man. the beginning breaks are really time & temp and un-Shotgun-like...he loosens up a bit later on..

This must be just before the end of 136/KGB as it is dated 1972 and he mentions several times on-air that it is Easter Sunday...Maybe the day before KGB recycled and became the Mellow Home?

And what kind of crap car is that the Shotgun is driving? I don't even recognize what it is....He probably owns that dumpy apartment building now...

Pretty funny - this flashback to 1972. It is mostly in-studio audio. I wonder if the loud 8mm camera noise was heard on the air that day during the live spots...

GeorgeJ. said:
The long-awaited KGB video of the Shotgun is FINALLY now on Youtube....search on Shotgun Tom 136 and you'll bring it up...

Shotgun Tom, don't you think you did a bit too much back-cueing on a couple of
records? I know you were demo-ing it for the camera, but think of the cue burn! ;D

It is interesting that KGB was still not airing songs from carts by 1972...but it was
nice seeing the (three?) QRK turntables and the (four?) Gates cart machines. You
may have noticed Tom seemed to start the carts directly from the button on the
machine, although it appeared there were remote start buttons next to the board.

Back to carts vs. 45s--I was shocked some years back when I learned that KHJ was
playing 45s on air in the 1960s, having figured a major-market powerhouse would have
gone the cart route from the beginning (or as soon as they could spool it up after the
rush to get Boss Radio on the air in 1965). Did KHJ finally go to carted music, and if
so, when? Heck, Satisfaction could be cart #440 just as it was record #440. ;)

oldiesfan6479 said:
It is interesting that KGB was still not airing songs from carts by 1972...but it was
nice seeing the (three?) QRK turntables and the (four?) Gates cart machines. You
may have noticed Tom seemed to start the carts directly from the button on the
machine, although it appeared there were remote start buttons next to the board.

Back to carts vs. 45s--I was shocked some years back when I learned that KHJ was
playing 45s on air in the 1960s, having figured a major-market powerhouse would have
gone the cart route from the beginning (or as soon as they could spool it up after the
rush to get Boss Radio on the air in 1965). Did KHJ finally go to carted music, and if
so, when? Heck, Satisfaction could be cart #440 just as it was record #440. ;)

I'm trying to recall if KHJ had the music on cart even 1980: I did my newscasts from a booth looking directly at the jock and his console from a side view and for the life of me I can't recall whether they played vinyl, but I always thought the old one-track mono carts just did not have very good fidelity and with the lack of rewind ability it was impossible to rehearse talking up the to post as you could by playing a record through the cue channel with the ability to immediately put the needle back to the beginning. And of course as FM stereo came along, you'd want stereo music. Back in the 70's even as a music director at a small market station I could get as many copies of pretty much any record even if it didn't fit our format so we could always have spares around in case on got damaged.

Bob_Hudson said:
...but I always thought the old one-track mono carts just did not have very good fidelity and with the lack of rewind ability it was impossible to rehearse talking up the to post as you could by playing a record through the cue channel...

WABC played all songs (currents and gold) from cart at least as early as 1964,
from things I've read, heard or seen. I also recall, from the musicradio77.com
site, that their cart machines had a fast forward function built in.

Back in the 70's even as a music director at a small market station I could get as many copies of pretty much any record even if it didn't fit our format so we could always have spares around in case on got damaged.

When KIKX Tucson was doing Top 40 the first time (1967-1969), they had an
absolutely horrible record (pun intended) when it came to cue burn. The same
45 copy would play for weeks at a time--its probable KIKX chart shelf life--
getting worse and worse with burn. Anyone remember My Girl/Hey Girl ("medley
music from Bobby Veeeee"--as Shadoe Stevens, before he was Shadoe Stevens,
would say in the talkup) in the spring of '68? It was just about the worst case of
cue burn on the station. Oldies too, of course, and they were more apt to also
have pops, crackles and other surface noise. (Twine Time--oh my!)

I recall seeing a mimeograph (should I use my "you younger posters..." line here? ;D)
of a KIKX music sheet one week where at the bottom it asked the labels to send
five copies of each 45 and two of LPs (to Dick Donovan, MD, at...yada yada yada).
Obviously five copies were nowhere near enough, unless I suppose it was a Capitol
45--they seemed to hold up forever. A bit more "surface noisy," but practically
immune to cue burn.

Meanwhile, across the street, heritage (even then) Top 40 KTKT had only rare cases
of cue burn and other noises on their 45s.

rickityone said:
Shotgun's car: a Rambler American (late sixties and low budget version)

I drove one of those when I worked at KPRI and KCBQ in 1978-79. I used to joke that you could tell a radio station parking lot because half the parking lot was full of Porsches from the sales department and the other half was Ramblers belonging to the jocks: that perception changed when I went to KHJ in 1980 and Rick Dees had a brand-new Cadillac parked in a reserved space on the lot (everyone else had to on the streets).

One incredible thing about that movie is that Shotgun is still doing Top 40 radio some 36 years later (yes, it's the Top 40 from decades past....) and doing it even better than he did in 1972.

GeorgeJ. said:
This must be just before the end of 136/KGB as it is dated 1972 and he mentions several times on-air that it is Easter Sunday...Maybe the day before KGB recycled and became the Mellow Home?

George: He actually kind of slurs the phrase "It's a Sunday". The title at the beginning of the video says it's January, 1972...the music supports that, and he does a live spot for an event at Disneyland coming up on February 12.

The recycling of KGB actually happened on Easter Sunday, April 2, 1972.

---Michael Hagerty

rickityone said:
Shotgun's car: a Rambler American (late sixties and low budget version)

rickity
After that the crappy orange VW, the "infamous" blue van (y'all know about that) and the the VW bus...must be nice to be able to borrow new cars from dealers. Oh yeah, long live top 40 brrrrrrraaaaahhhh!

GeorgeJ. said:
jlliv, I don't know why he has not commented here, but Shotgun Tom has read this thread and I spoke to him this morning about it...

He does not recall the incident, and doesn't think it was him; he says that even if he was having a bad day, he would have talked you guys up to turn it around....As I mentioned before, he will talk up just about anyone on the street, so I believe him...

He seems to think that you may have walked-in on Mac Hudson of Hudson & Bauer on KFMB-AM, which was right across the hall from the B-100 studio...He said that was typical behavior for Mac (Joe Bauer was across the glass from him in another room)..

Whenever I see him on the air (because I'm usually videotaping) he's always wearing THE HAT; but he says that normally, when no ones around, he doesn't wear his Smokey The Bear hat on the air...Mac Hudson would have been almost twice his age, but they looked a little similar (beard and losing their hair; sorry Shotz if that's a secret)...

So if you stop him on the street now and ask....he'll say it wasn't him..."that wasn't me, man"

I'm sure he must remember it that way, but the year was 1978, it was a smallish size journalism class from Clairemont High School and it was indeed Shotgun Tom. I KNEW the difference between Mac Hudson and Shotgun Tom. So he may recall it that way. And I never said he was wearing the HAT on the air. He wasn't wearing the hat that day. He was wearing it not long ago when I saw him out in public many, many years later. So, sorry... it happened just the way I said it did and it was Tom. :-\

bossradiofan said:
I worked with Tom at KBEST 95 for a couple of years and he's the nicest, most giving jock with strangers and fans I've ever known. He's a sweetheart. Back in the '70's I worked at KFMB-AM which shared a forever-shaking wall with B-100, and Tom was super then, too. Nope, it's my guess - or hope - that you must have met someone else. I won't name names...but heck, I'm sure if you email Shotz and identify yourself, he'll treat you right.

Ox in the Box
K-BEST 95, KFMB, KyXy...(don't get me started...)

Look... I really hesitated to even bring this story up. I'm over it. I only brought it up as a cautionary tale to those in the public eye that sometimes people who look up to you may only have ONE contact with you and it can be the only impression. Listen, you had to live under a rock not to know the difference between Mac Hudson and Shotgun Tom back then. Ummm... for Pete's sake... I don't think Mac Hudson would have said "BBBRRRREEEE -YAHHHHH!!! This is Shotgun Tom!" on the mic, in front of my journalism class, do you? I didn't bring this up to bag on Tom... really... but now I'm disappointed to hear that he claims it wasn't him. Oh well.

jlliv said:
bossradiofan said:
I worked with Tom at KBEST 95 for a couple of years and he's the nicest, most giving jock with strangers and fans I've ever known. He's a sweetheart. Back in the '70's I worked at KFMB-AM which shared a forever-shaking wall with B-100, and Tom was super then, too. Nope, it's my guess - or hope - that you must have met someone else. I won't name names...but heck, I'm sure if you email Shotz and identify yourself, he'll treat you right.

Ox in the Box

Look... I really hesitated to even bring this story up. I'm over it. I only brought it up as a cautionary tale to those in the public eye that sometimes people who look up to you may only have ONE contact with you and it can be the only impression. Listen, you had to live under a rock not to know the difference between Mac Hudson and Shotgun Tom back then. Ummm... for Pete's sake... I don't think Mac Hudson would have said "BBBRRRREEEE -YAHHHHH!!! This is Shotgun Tom!" on the mic, in front of my journalism class, do you? I didn't bring this up to bag on Tom... really... but now I'm disappointed to hear that he claims it wasn't him. Oh well.

You're talking about something that happened 30 years ago. It may have happened just as you say and it's perfectly conceivable that Shots doesn't remember it. I guarantee you I know him well enough to know that if he did remember it he'd be the first one to apologize and make it right. As you can see from what many of us have posted about him, it just doesn't fit his MO. Maybe it went just as you say and maybe he was having some kind of awful day. I'm not saying you're making this up, I'm just saying if it did happen as you say there had to be circumstances that caused this very approachable man to act this way.

RadeoEngineer said:
jlliv said:
bossradiofan said:

Ox in the Box

You're talking about something that happened 30 years ago. It may have happened just as you say and it's perfectly conceivable that Shots doesn't remember it. I guarantee you I know him well enough to know that if he did remember it he'd be the first one to apologize and make it right. As you can see from what many of us have posted about him, it just doesn't fit his MO. Maybe it went just as you say and maybe he was having some kind of awful day. I'm not saying you're making this up, I'm just saying if it did happen as you say there had to be circumstances that caused this very approachable man to act this way.

Yes... I KNOW it was 30 years ago and I think if you ready my posts along the way, I've been very careful to include all of those caveats. I've acknowledged it was 30 years ago and said that I can totally UNDERSTAND that people have bad days. From what people have written here, it's obvious that he was just having one of those... I can't really think of any other explanation. Tom obviously doesn't remember it and perhaps that's for the best, but I guess it bothers me to be told it had to be someone else, or I don't remember, or I suppose I'm making it up. I *did* happen and again... as I said myself it was 30 years ago... I *only* mentioned it to remind those who are in the "public eye" to try to remember that sometimes your "bad day" is the only day a member of the public might see and sadly, they can negate a whole bunch of great days. I have no reason to not believe what you tell me about Tom. I suspected as much... he seems like a nice guy and I'm glad to hear that what I witnessed as a kid was an anomaly. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom