• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SF & SJ ARBITRON RATINGS: AUGUST 2011

Michael Rivers Kramer said:
1069_KIFR said:
Whoa!!! What a huge jump for KMVQ (997 NOW). Holy Smokes!!
And KQED is still number 1

Michael Martin must really love programing against WILD!

Well, yes, that's the whole reason he went there, to get back at CCU. Note how he hired away St. John and Strawberry. Couldn't hire away JV but he got Fernando & Greg who make a nice counterpoint to him.

What's interesting to me is that NOW's cume is actually a tiny bit lower than Wild's. Go figure.

MM is very much a strategic thinker and can 'see around corners' down the road. He has to have a big ol' smile right now!

KDFC got a .6 as usual and KUFX got a 2.5 in SF and KFOG got a 2.6.

KGO-am in SJ got a 7.4 and KUFX got a 5.0 in SJ.
KCBS-AM for San Jose is 3.2 while KCBS for SF has a 6.4.

KMEL also jumped up by the same amount as KMVQ (both up 0.7) and KYLD down 0.4...but those three make up half of the Top 6. Wow...contemporary music dominates while last year's market leading music station KOIT is down to 8th with other AC's KIOI at 12th and KLLC at 19th. Any idea why all three CHR-type stations have become so big while AC's are dropping?

robman said:
KMEL also jumped up by the same amount as KMVQ (both up 0.7) and KYLD down 0.4...but those three make up half of the Top 6. Wow...contemporary music dominates while last year's market leading music station KOIT is down to 8th with other AC's KIOI at 12th and KLLC at 19th. Any idea why all three CHR-type stations have become so big while AC's are dropping?
I think KOIT's drop is due to Oldies 103.7 taking a bite out of them. The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it only applies if your the only game in town. Once a newcomer sets up a stick and transmits to your demo then it's time to break out the tool box for some tweaking. Yeah I know KOIT is still ahead but that is where it all starts. This time next year it could be a couple points that separate them both. Still even though they are #8 overall, they are still #1 in their respective demo.

Some surprises... KGMZ is an FM Sports station. That usually means success. But not in San Francisco, even though it is carrying a major league baseball team, the Athletics. #29 is pretty bad.

San Francisco has a much larger Latino community than African-American. Yet KMEL, which leans more Urban, beats KYLD, which is a Rhythmic Top 40 aimed at Hispanic listeners. And why is KBLX doing so poorly? Usually Urban AC stations have better ratings than Urban stations. Is its playlist too adventurous?

I see KISQ is listed in the ratings as Urban Oldies but it really is Rhythmic Oldies. It plays Madonna, Miami Sound Machine, Lisa Lisa. I'd assume its audience is more Latin than African-American.

KSAN has opened a sizable lead over KUFX/KUZX in the Classic Rock race. Why?

Michael Savage does his nationally syndicated show from San Francisco. For local outlets, he's bounced from KSFO to KNEW to KTRB to where? Does he have any station near the Bay Area or do you have to try to pull in 1080 KSCO Santa Cruz to hear him? (Not that I would.)

Even though KGO has trouble these days making the Top 5 in the SF ratings, it remains consistantly #1 in the San Jose ratings... as it did before People Meters.

KKSF is tied for #12. Yet when 106.9 KFRC was an Oldies/Classic Hits station, it did very poorly in the ratings, ususally below a one-share. What magic has Clear Channel found that CBS could not?

Gregg
[email protected]

OK - here are my non-expert speculations. Take them for what they're worth...nothing perhaps

Some surprises... KGMZ is an FM Sports station. That usually means success. But not in San Francisco, even though it is carrying a major league baseball team, the Athletics. #29 is pretty bad.

It's a new station, they've made a lot of adjustments and recently changed their branding to "The Game." Shouldn't we give them some time before we declare failure? And from what I understand, the Athletics have not been too exciting this year.

San Francisco has a much larger Latino community than African-American. Yet KMEL, which leans more Urban, beats KYLD, which is a Rhythmic Top 40 aimed at Hispanic listeners. But KYLD usually beats KMEL

I noticed that, too, but KYLD usually does better than KMEL, as you said. So maybe it's too soon to draw conclusions? It makes sense that Now 997 would be putting the hurt on KYLD more than KMEL.

And why is KBLX doing so poorly? Usually Urban AC stations have better ratings than Urban stations. Is its playlist too adventurous?

KBLX too adventurous? That's funny. Too "soft," maybe. I'd speculate its because Kiss-FM has stolen some of KBLX's audience by broadening their playlist, and including a lot of songs by popular non-soul artists of the 80s - George Michael, Madonna, etc.

I see KISQ is listed in the ratings as Urban Oldies but it really is Rhythmic Oldies. It plays Madonna, Miami Sound Machine, Lisa Lisa. I'd assume its audience is more Latin than African-American.

See above

Michael Savage does his nationally syndicated show from San Francisco. For local outlets, he's bounced from KSFO to KNEW to KTRB to where? Does he have any station near the Bay Area or do you have to try to pull in 1080 KSCO Santa Cruz to hear him? (Not that I would.)

The Weiner has no local outlet right now. He left KSFO voluntarily a few years ago for a better deal. Maybe he should have stayed - but from what I understand, station management (Disney then) and even his fellow right-wing talk hosts thought he was such a giant a**hole, they said "good riddance." And if you want to hear him, 650 KSTE from Sacramento comes in decently in the more northerly parts of the Bay, including SF in some neighborhoods..

Even though KGO has trouble these days making the Top 5 in the SF ratings, it remains consistantly #1 in the San Jose ratings... as it did before People Meters.

Does San Jose have a higher ratio of old people? ;D. Seriously though, I'm turning 60 next year and I've come to the conclusion that KGO skews too old for me. Some time in the last decade or so, traditional talk-radio shows started driving me almost comatose with boredom.

KKSF is tied for #12. Yet when 106.9 KFRC was an Oldies/Classic Hits station, it did very poorly in the ratings, ususally below a one-share. What magic has Clear Channel found that CBS could not?

Nothing. Oldies 103.7 is no better or worse than 106.9 KFRC. Perhaps listeners were more disillusioned with 106.9 because they were expecting more of it with that nostalgic "Big 610" pedigree. A lot was said about the 106.9 frequency being a problem because it had been a religious non-comm for so long. Or perhaps 103.7 is doing better because Classic Hits were gone for awhile, so listeners aren't as burned out on the format anymore. Maybe they even missed it a little.

One big reason Oldies 103.7 is doing better than 106.9 KFRC did is because it doesn't blow off it's core audience by running Baseball 5 hous a day
7 months out of the year.

1954 said:
One big reason Oldies 103.7 is doing better than 106.9 KFRC did is because it doesn't blow off it's core audience by running Baseball 5 hous a day 7 months out of the year.

<Sound FX of me slapping my forehead>. You're right. That was probably the main reason 106.9 KFRC was such a flop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom