• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seth MacFarlane's album

Some of you may have heard that Seth MacFarlane, the creator of "Family Guy" and "American Dad!," is coming out with an album of big band and standards. It should be out this fall sometime and apparently it includes a duet with Norah Jones. I'm not a regular "Family Guy" viewer but have watched it enough to know that MacFarlane seems to have a real affinity for standards and show tunes in particular... there was at least one "Family Guy" episode where Frank Sinatra Jr. guest-starred, and on occasion the characters will break into a show tune as a musical number (everything from "If Ever I Would Leave You" from "Camelot" to "Somewhere That's Green" from "Little Shop of Horrors" has been used). He actually also has a pretty good set of pipes himself. The crude humor in the show is a turnoff for some (for me sometimes), but I have to give MacFarlane props for exposing "our" music to a new audience that might not have heard it otherwise. He seems to know his standards - and not just standards but the soft AC oldies we get mixed in there too.

There was one episode where several of the adult male characters admitted they really liked Barry Manilow, despite having bashed him for most of the episode, and ended up getting in a singalong of what is probably one of his more syrupy (but I still like it) songs: "Ready To Take A Chance Again." (vchimp - you might appreciate this given your discussion about Barry Manilow on the AC board recently.)

I wonder if some of the cuts from his album will show up on standards radio once the album is out, or if maybe the crude humor of his show will be a turnoff for the standards demo? I guess it depends on how crude, if at all, the songs themselves are. "Glee" has attracted its share of controversy as well but that didn't stop Matthew Morrison from getting airplay on Dial Global.

he was on lteerman last night and sang the lp title tune...very much like a sinatra big band tune and very good. he has the voice for that style.

We just got the album at The Penthouse this week...really good stuff. It was recorded in studio A at Capitol Studios. Must be nice to have cubic money!

I do like the music on "Family Guy". It does have humor that's hard to take, but the fact these characters are so adorably drawn makes up for that--usually. "The Cleveland Show" sometimes goes too far.

The album was made at Capitol Records Studio A (Sinatra's studio of choice) live in front of a full 55 piece orchestra (no over-dubbing) recorded from analog to tape to add texture to the sound. The microphone was the same Neumann that was used by...you guessed it...Francis Albert...on loan from the Smithsonian.

Vchimp, I agree about "Family Guy." I'd say my favorite character would have to be Brian. :) And it's always a treat to hear them suddenly reference a show tune like "Sixteen Going On Seventeen." Seth knows his music, that's for sure. I'll have to check out the album.

I always liked Stewie, but I guess Peter would have to be my favorite now. When the syndicated reruns began and I was checking them for an episode I missed the ending of, I realized I had forgotten how evil and sadistic Stewie once was.

Should be titled Brian Griffin Sings The Great American Songbook

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom