• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Serving The Universe, and from Mesquite, Texas too

JRZFM100 said:
Saturday in the Park sounded quite differently arranged, with an added emphasis, instruments very prominent and very much stand out-ish during non-vocal periods in a way that I'm not familiar with from FM or anywhere else.

Also, the background vocals on Outfield's "All The Love In The World" seemed much more prominent and emphasized as compared to lead vocals at many different points.

I was right & I was wrong! what synergy...

Just checked Chicago SITP from 2 sources, Chicago 40th Anniversary 2007 remaster AND Chicago V, SITP sounded normal, no added emphasis on instruments in between vocals.

I'll have to listen to the rebroadcast on Monday and mark the times.

But... Rhapsody don't have Outfield (cheap), so I pulled it off of YouTube, indeed, the background vocals on the track were recorded significantly hotter as compared to the lead vocal. Who woulda thought.

And I was wrong-
Robert Bass said:
The private source feed that I send to LG's HQ is NOT run through Breakaway before it is sent.

The Bass Master does NOT use AGC prior to sending (There must be some misunderstanding...
There must be some kind of mistake!!). Wow, he must run a tight board as not to overdrive the peaks, especially on the main announce mic. I couldn't do it w/o AGC.

The moral of this story... two wrongs don't make a right!

I "do" use very light AGC, but not via Breakaway. I'm using a Symetrix 422 AGC box in the source feed. The primary purpose is to prevent the entire audio mix from overloading the sound card on my streaming PC. I run all audio from the OtsAV and cart machine sources (a cart was used to play the backwards song audio clip) "lower" than my mic level. You'd be able to tell right away what is going on by listening to the raw feed. It's going to be interesting to hear how Breakaway handles the raw source material on Legendary80s.

R

I checked my source file for the Outfield track, in this case not from TM, and found the backing vocals were a little louder during the first chorus only. For the remaining duration, lead and backing vocal levels were about the same.

R

Robert Bass said:
I "do" use very light AGC, but not via Breakaway. I'm using a Symetrix 422 AGC box in the source feed.

I thought you did have AGC, in this case I have confused your Live 365 feed which I believe correctly uses Breakaway in a light AGC config with the LG-73 feed which does not.

Optimally, I have used Aphex Compellor-Dominator pairs as pre-processing to feed and protect T-1 with analog, two channel stereo. Using the Compellor with it's optional (LED!) peak limiter defeated, followed by a Dominator, doing only 1-2 dB of "catch" Protection Limiting on peaks. This works combination great in front of everything broadcast from Optimod 8100 w/XT2 to modern DSP processing.

I think Phil would find this arrangement to be acceptable, as it doesn't at all color the audio, but provides protection only. "Safe audio" can be good audio!

Exactly! Legendary80s gets Breakaway and Phil gets The AGC.

I'm going to test a special encore broadcast of last night's show at 2:00 PM Central this afternoon (i.e. in just under an hout). This broadcast will use the same raw audio feed that is sent to LG73. So this encore broadcast will have both the Symetrix AGC and Breakaway! Tune in if you can! This will be on Legendary80s only!

R

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom