• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seques

Listened to an automated station the other day - no humans involved :)

There was a segue from "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" to "Take a Letter Maria".
Kind of appropriate being different takes on the same subject.

I am wondering what other segues might make sense (similar or opposite)...
"You Don't Own Me" to "Bobby's Girl"
"It's Late" to "Wake Up Little Susie"

Others?????

American Made Oak Ridge Boys / American Woman Guess Who
I Wanna Hold Your hand Beatles / Let Me Go Heaven 17
Touch Me Doors / You Make Me Wanna Touch Myself Divinyls
Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay Otis Redding / Stand Sly And The Family Stone
Lay Lady Lay Bob Dylan / Lay Down Sally Eric Clapton / Layla Derrik & The Dominoes (Clapton)
Smoke On The Water Deep Purple / Smoke Gets In Your Eyes Platters
I Hate You Ronnie Milsap / Any Love Song By Any Artist!

The First Time--Roberta Flack/The Last Time--Rolling Stones
Gettin Better All The Time--Beatles/Worst That Could Happen--Brooklyn Bridge
Sad Mood--Sam Cooke/Good News--Sam Cooke

How about MTA by the Kingston Trio, Bus Stop by the Hollies, Thank God & Greyhound by Roy Clark, and Another One Rides The Bus by Weird Al Yankovic?

Do any singers record "answer songs" anymore? They were common in the 1950s-60s. Kitty Wells' It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels was an answer to Hank Thompson's Wild Side Of Life, in which he sang "I didn't know God made honky tonk angels." Jeanne Black's He'll Have To Stay was an answer to Jim Reeves' He'll Have To Go. The Spokesmen sang Dawn Of Correction as an optomistic answer to Barry McGuire's doom-and-gloom hit Eve Of Destruction. There are dozens of other examples...and each pair of songs would make a perfect segue.

LARadioRewind said:
Do any singers record "answer songs" anymore? They were common in the 1950s-60s. Kitty Wells' It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels was an answer to Hank Thompson's Wild Side Of Life, in which he sang "I didn't know God made honky tonk angels." Jeanne Black's He'll Have To Stay was an answer to Jim Reeves' He'll Have To Go. The Spokesmen sang Dawn Of Correction as an optomistic answer to Barry McGuire's doom-and-gloom hit Eve Of Destruction. There are dozens of other examples...and each pair of songs would make a perfect segue.

My favorite example of answer songs is:

"Oh Carol"--Neil Sedaka
"Oh Neil"--Carol King

LARadioRewind said:

Bobby Goldsboro's Honey got a response from Vicky Carr (something like "and I miss you too...") ; Jody Miller retorted to Roger Miller's King of the Road with Queen of the House. But, more to the point of your question, not too many response songs are happening today. The most recent retort I remember is Lynrd Skynyrd, swiping Neil Young "...heard Neil Young put her down..." The Van Zandts were responding to Young's Southern Man performed both solo and with Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Remember the Smothers Brothers episode where Tommy was making money by giving tours of the "Honey house"? Guests could see the car she wrecked, they could see the spot where she slipped, and they could buy a tiny souvenir tree that was "just a twig." :D

K6JHU said:
Answer song - "Judy's Turn to Cry"

And can we classify "Lucy in Disguise" as an answer song.

"Lucy in Disguise"? If you're referring to the smash hit by Jonathon Fred & The Playboys, that should read, JUDY In Disguise. Or did you mean The Beatles' Lucy... from Seargant Pepper? Help, I'm so confused...

jfrancispastirchak said:
K6JHU said:

"Lucy in Disguise"? If you're referring to the smash hit by Jonathon Fred & The Playboys, that should read, JUDY In Disguise. Or did you mean The Beatles' Lucy... from Seargant Pepper? Help, I'm so confused...

I think he's referring to the immortal Judy In Da Sky with Diamond Glasses by John Fred Lennon and his Playboy Beatles. ;D

KeithE4 said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
K6JHU said:

I think he's referring to the immortal Judy In Da Sky with Diamond Glasses by John Fred Lennon and his Playboy Beatles. ;D

Thanks, Keith. I needed that. ;D

I thought "Judy's Turn To Cry" was the answer song to "It's My Party".

Although perhaps the only time both were from the same artist.

Girl With No Eyes - It's A Beautiful Day/Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol

Of course they aren't doing it today. How do you respond to this stuff today were every other work is F%$^ or B@#$%% or W^%&*$ or Kill or Beat or M@#&*#$ F&#$@*$. Any response would just be more of the same crap.

K6JHU said:

Would that really be an answer song? It was Lesley Gore's follow-up to "It's My Party" in which Judy walked in and spoiled her party. More of a sequel/part two than an answer song per se. Didn't they always come from different artists? (Most popularly, male responding to female or vice versa.)

The Beatles covered "Money (That's What I Want)," then a year or two later, had the big hit with "Can't Buy Me Love," which features the line, "I don't care too much for money." Obviously, that line was the polar opposite of anything that they sang in "Money." 8)

firepoint525 said:
The Beatles covered "Money (That's What I Want)," then a year or two later, had the big hit with "Can't Buy Me Love," which features the line, "I don't care too much for money." Obviously, that line was the polar opposite of anything that they sang in "Money." 8)

I have collected answer songs for years
there is a 4cd compilation of country answer songs....titles "And the answer Is"
here are just a few:
1. Wild Side Of Life - Hank Thompson
2. It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - Kitty Wells
3. Back Street Affair - Webb Pierce
4. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
5. There Stands The Glass - Webb Pierce
6. Please Throw Away The Glass - Betty Cody
7. Yesterday's Girl - Hank Thompson
8. I'm Yesterday's Girl - Goldie Hill
9. I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Knew About Him - The Davis Sisters
10. I Found Out More Than You Ever Knew About Him - Betty Cody

and Ace UK has released a nice pacakge with about 30 pop answer songs."The answer to everything-60's answer songs"
here are a few:
1. Just Tell Him Jane Said Hello - Gerri Granger
2. I'm No Run Around - Ginger Davis & The Snaps (runaround sue)
3. Jerry (I'm Your Sherry) - Tracey Dey (Sherry)
4. Queen of the House - Jody Miller (king of The Road)
5. Sugar Shack Queen - Georgia Lynn
6. Gary, Please Don't Sell My Diamond Ring - Wendy Hill
7. You Should Know I'm Still Your Baby - Sammi Lynn
8. I'll Believe It When I See It - Sierras
9. Yes, I'm Lonesome Tonight - Dodie Stevens
10. Not Just Tomorrow, But Always - Bertell Dache

Contrary to popular belief "Bertell Dache"..is not Tony Orlando..I don't care how many times Bobby Box sez that. he is wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom