• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Separating "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!"

I know there are a handful of markets in which Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! are on separate stations (which is like Oates without Hall, or Oreos without milk). Can we name them all? It would be interesting to compile a list.

Also, in any of these markets, do the two shows compete with each other, or do Sony and CBS Television Distribution prohibit that type of scheduling? Have significant efforts been made by CTD to "unite" the two shows on one station in these markets? Why do I ask so many questions? How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

In Memphis, Jeopardy is on WREG (CBS) and Wheel of Fortune is on WMC (NBC). I don't know why they're on separate stations.

In Dayton, Ohio. Wheel is on WHIO 7 (CBS) and J! on WDTN 2 (NBC). In Nashville, TN Wheel is on WKRN 2 (ABC) and J! on a MNT affiliate. In Birmingham, AL Wheel on ABC 33/40 and J! on CBS 42. In Corpis Cristi, TX J! is on NBC and Wheel on ABC. Other markets like Joplin, MO and Oklahoma City, OK does this.

But NYC before September 1990, J! was on WNBC 4 before the second half of 1984-85 season before relocated at WABC 7 while Wheel was on WCBS 2. Washington, DC J! is on WJLA 7 while Wheel was on WUSA 9 until September 1990. Then-CBS (now NBC O&O) WTVJ 4 (now 6) in Miami had Wheel while WPLG 10 (ABC) had J! (still does) until September 1988. In Los Angeles, KCBS 2 had J! in the 1984-85 season while KCOP 13 had Wheel. Then in 1985, J! moved to KCOP along with Wheel, then moved to KCBS in September 1989, and moved again to their present station KABC 7 in September 1992.

Mr. X said:
In Memphis, Jeopardy is on WREG (CBS) and Wheel of Fortune is on WMC (NBC). I don't know why they're on separate stations.

It was mainly because WMC wanted to start a block  of news from 4 to 5 PM, and they were carrying Oprah at 3 PM, so apparently they thought there was no room for Jeopardy and it was moved to WREG. I don't remember when exactly this happened, but this always looked like another one of WMC's not so brilliant moves from the 80's and 90's to me.

Jepoardy and Wheel was on one station, WAFF, in Huntsville until fall 2010. Then Jeopardy went to WAAY. I don't know why they split them up.

Question: in those markets where Wheel & J! are on separate stations, what about those "cross-promos" for each other's show? I'd assume that they are not aired; but aren't there contests and such where the two shows are in cohoots?

cd

In the Atlanta, GA market, Wheel of Fortune is on weeknights at 7:00 P.M. ET on myATLtv WATL 36, an affiliate of MyNetworkTV. Jeopardy! is then on at 7:30 P.M. on duopoly sister station WXIA-TV 11Alive, an NBC affiliate. While Wheel is on WATL, WXIA airs a 7PM newscast. That is all.

In Duluth, MN Jeopardy is on at 5:00 on CBS KDLH
Wheel is on at 6:30 on KBJR NBC

(Granite Broadcasting owns KBJR and runs KDLH)

In Topeka, Wheel has been on WIBW-TV, the CBS station, at 6:30 p.m.
Jeopardy is currently on KTKA-TV, the ABC, at 5 p.m.

Topeka is the home of one of the few "triopolies" in TV; the NBC, ABC and Fox affils are all operated by the same owner. WIBW is a heritage station that generally exceeds the news viewers of the other three combined.

spencerkarter85 said:
...In Nashville, TN Wheel is on WKRN 2 (ABC) and J! on a MNT affiliate...

Jeopardy (first run) airs on WUXP-MyTV30 and Jeopardy Daytime (second run) airs on Sinclair sister station WZTV-FOX17.

In Colorado Springs, Wheel and Jeopardy have been separated since this spring. They were back-to-back at 6 and 6:30 respectively
on KKTV (CBS). Now, Wheel remains at 6, but Jeopardy was moved back to 4 pm. KKTV's 4 pm news moved to 6:30.

Notice that most of the markets where Jeopardy and Wheel run on different stations are in the Central and Mountain Time Zones.

In the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones, where Prime Time starts at 8pm, there's plenty of time for a top station, usually the ABC station, to air Jeopardy and Wheel (or in some cities Wheel followed by Jeopardy) back-to-back at 7pm.

But in the Central and Mountain Time Zones, your local news ends at 6:30pm and you only have one half-hour time slot to run Wheel at 6:30 before Prime Time kicks in. Some CT and MT stations that have the rights to both shows run Jeopardy earlier in the day. But in the markets listed above, another station is willing to run Jeopardy at a better time.

I guess King World makes sure the two shows never run in the same time slot. But I suppose if another station, maybe a Fox, WB, My or Independent station, can give Jeopardy a more visable time slot, they can get the show.

EJ204 said:
Notice that most of the markets where Jeopardy and Wheel run on different stations are in the Central and Mountain Time Zones.

In the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones, where Prime Time starts at 8pm, there's plenty of time for a top station, usually the ABC station, to air Jeopardy and Wheel (or in some cities Wheel followed by Jeopardy) back-to-back at 7pm.

But in the Central and Mountain Time Zones, your local news ends at 6:30pm and you only have one half-hour time slot to run Wheel at 6:30 before Prime Time kicks in. Some CT and MT stations that have the rights to both shows run Jeopardy earlier in the day. But in the markets listed above, another station is willing to run Jeopardy at a better time.

I guess King World makes sure the two shows never run in the same time slot. But I suppose if another station, maybe a Fox, WB, My or Independent station, can give Jeopardy a more visable time slot, they can get the show.

CBS Distribution bought out King World. So Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune are now distributed by CBS in the USA & Sony outside of the USA. As for the Chicago market, Jeopardy was successful in the 3:30pm timeslot since WLS-TV picked up the program in 1983. Thanks to corporate for signing all 8 of their stations to carry Katie at 3pm, WLS-TV was forced to move Jeopardy to 2:30pm, after ABC gave the 2pm CT timeslot back to the affiliates, & made Katie be on at 3pm. It's sad that Katie will be on WLS-TV at 3pm for another year. I personally believe Jeopardy did better in the 3:30pm timelot, leading into the 4pm news. As for Wheel of Fortune, it's been on in the 6:30pm timeslot since they picked up the syndicated version in 1984 (NBC owned the daytime version at that time), & done well. If it weren't for the 6pm news, it might be possible for WLS-TV to run both shows side by side.

Technically not the same market but both stations are available OTA and on cable in the Watertown and Kingston markets. Up until recently when CJOH stopped airing Wheel and Jeopardy I used to be able to get Jeopardy at 7 on WWNY while CJOH-6 was playing Wheel at 7. Then at 7:30 the same thing except WWNY aired Wheel and CJOH-6 aired Jeopardy. You could watch one show at 7, memorize the answers and then watch again at 7:30 and know everything.

In the Jackson, Miss. market, ABC affiliate WAPT Ch. 16 has aired Wheel at 6:30 p.m. for mny years. Until a few years ago, Jeopardy aired at 4:30 but was moved to 12:10 or 15 a.m. to accomodate Judge Judy for a 4 and 4:30 p.m. run.

EJM said:
Also, in Dallas/Fort Worth, WoF is on CBS O&O KTVT, while J! is on duopoly partner KTXA. (Boston may have had a similar situation between co-owned WBZ and WSBK, but both shows now air on WBZ.)

Not quite true. Both shows air on KTVT. However, Dallas is one of the few markets that runs Jeopardy! at 11AM. A rerun is the one that runs at 6 on KTXA.

Interesting how Wheel and Jeopardy are the two most successful syndicated game shows these days. Yet when one station in the Central or Mountain Time Zones have both shows, it's Wheel that runs at 6:30 and Jeopardy that has to find a daytime slot.

Are there any other syndicated game shows, except for Millionaire and Family Feud? And only two on the daytime network schedule, Price Is Right and Let's Make A Deal, both CBS. At one time, prime time, fringe time (between news and network) and syndication had many more game shows. In the early days of TV, What's My Line, To Tell The Truth, Password, I've Got A Secret, You Bet Your Life and other game shows were on Prime Time every week. You Bet Your Life gave Groucho Marx a mid-life TV career after his early days in the Marx Brothers movies.

I can't believe it!

$100K loss in 2 game shows on $ The Price is Right & Wheel of Fortune!

On Pay the Rent for the 2nd time, at lease more than 2 during Bob's years

Reeshemah Hall quits with $10K in her bank, she wouldn't had $100K to make that her total $100,816

On Wheel of Fortune, remember yesterday's bonus round puzzle "It was bound to happen" Jason Fanelli loss $25K, when he had $16,350, which he would had won $41,350, and speaking of Jason.

guess what it did really 2 times today, Jason Dingess loss $100K!

Darn, 2 in a row, the other Jason would had won $122,228, what a painful loss, glad that Hailey & Bailey saw that part, as well as Bob Barker, Marvin Zindler, Chavo, Gospel Bill, Star Family Singers, Colby, Immortal, Psalty, Mario & Mooh Bros, Xena, Marines, etc.

It's all right he and the wheelwatcher have to settle down with $22,228 to of the channel numbers in Houston, where the smile of a child programming is seen on both Daystar & GEB.

Today in price is right we have a $16K winner!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom