• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Senate hearings about talk radio stations?

The news section of Radio-Info has an article about possible Senate hearings regarding talk radio.

The Michigan Democrat (Sen. Debbie Stabenow) appeared on the syndicated Bill Press show today (2/5) to say that losing progressive talk-formatted stations in D.C., San Diego, Sacramento and Miami is “such a disservice to the public.” She talks about “the airwaves dominated by one view that…then overwhelms people’s opinions.”

I'm so tired of this left wing rhetoric about conservative talk radio. What about the overwhelming leftist views of the NY Times, Washington Post etc etc. They use public highways to deliver their papers. So if radio gets slammed with a so-called "fairness doctrine" then let's have one for newspapers. Cable news outlets use public spectrum for their satellite uploads so let's get the "fairness doctrine" in for them, too.

Where does it end? Let's hope this idea never goes further than in the mind of Sen. Stabenow.

Hey!

I have an idea!

Why don't both sides stop being so dishonest and tell BOTH sides of the story, so the public can actually have a fair chance to understand an issue and develop an opinion?

Can you imagine, for example, Rush not leaving out info that hurts his argument?

Imagine the possibilities!

So...if another Smooth Jazz fails will the government step in to stop this tragedy?

Progressive talk is not a viable business model in many markets across the country. Sure there are pockets of success but for every Madison Wisconsin there is a failed Miami. Why should an owner be forced to air something that will lose them money?

Senator, get over it. Your party controls the entire government even with conservative talk radio stil existing. I know it's much easier to get your way if there wasn't some pesky little opposition out there, but the rest of the media is 99.9999999999999% in favor of Obama and Democratic policies.

Perhaps the Senator has a vested interest in Air America. The Wikipedia entry for Senator Stabenow says in 2003, Stabenow married Tom Athans, now the executive vice president of Air America.

jimbo said:
Perhaps the Senator has a vested interest in Air America. The Wikipedia entry for Senator Stabenow says in 2003, Stabenow married Tom Athans, now the executive vice president of Air America.
That fact was pointed out today by Neal Boortz and Glenn Beck.

Low-rated Bill Press calls for Fairness Doctrine- affirmative action radio!

What a piece of work this once respectable pundit/ talking head is.

Calling on the U.S. Senator to reinstate the FD.

"So when will we have hearings on this?" he asked her in his radio interview played on a local show I heard this a.m.

So radio needs tokenism, quotas and affirmative action?
If so, it means this particular host ain't good enough to make it on his own and would be an affirmative-action hire, something he likely viciously attacked and alleged of Clarence Thomas.

jimbo said:

The wikipedia entry is outdated - he left as AAR syndication chief in 2006.

As noted above, Debbie Stabenow (Democratic Senator from MI) is married to Tom Athans, founder of both Democracy Radio and TalkUSA Radio radio syndication operations. Democracy Radio founded/launched the: Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller & Bill Press libtalk radio shows. TalkUSA Radio founded/launched the Leslie Marshall show in August 2007.

bigtalkradiofan said:
jimbo said:

The wikipedia entry is outdated - he left as AAR syndication chief in 2006.
As noted above, Debbie Stabenow (Democratic Senator from MI) is married to Tom Athans, founder of both Democracy Radio and TalkUSA Radio radio syndication operations. Democracy Radio founded/launched the: Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller & Bill Press libtalk radio shows. TalkUSA Radio founded/launched the Leslie Marshall show in August 2007.

You would have to think that he still that the relationship (personal or business) borders on a conflict of interest.

Have the hearings and then admit the obvious: Goebbels said it best: if you repeat a lie long enough then sooner or later people begin to believe it is the truth.

Conservatives have been trying to pass off the same lies for years, now they have to sit back while the rest of us push back.

Let's see....hmmmm...

Radio: no need for regulation, there are now more places to get news (but it is the SAME news.) Consolidation is good for the industry (it has killed it)

TV: ditto

and then there are the myriad of political issues, but this is a RADIO board not a GENERAL POLITICS board.

Too bad there aren't airchecks of every station in a market on the same day so we could see how "different" the news was from station to station. Hmm..murder on the west side, check. Big fire? check. Accident on the interstate? check.

Sen. Stabenow is being disingenuous by not pointing out her familial conflict of interest.

And I think many broadcasters with personal views on both sides of the political fence are against government imposition of "Fairness" standards.

I could care less about a fairness doctrine. I want these blessed operators to be forced to go back to doing local news and some local programming....period.

justareporter said:
I could care less about a fairness doctrine. I want these blessed operators to be forced to go back to doing local news and some local programming....period.

A lot of them do. When they do local news, people change the station. How is that in the public interest?

Yeah, they do, unless it's a news station. We've got around 30 stations here. Why in the world do all 30 have to do local news? There really aren't 30 takes on the accident that closed the interstate.

No...but 10 might be nice. Betcha you don't have that many doing local news. And you forgot that "competition makes you better."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom