• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Semi-dumb IBOC question

Why are AM IBOC stations allowed to turn the digital on at 6am and leave it on until 6pm, even now that sunrise is after 6 and sunset well before 6?

=====

If AM IBOC *doesn't* cause severe adjacent-channel interference at night, then why are stations required to turn it off at 6pm? Why can't they leave it up all night?

=====

If AM IBOC *does* cause severe adjacent-channel interference at night, then why are stations allowed to leave it on for an hour or more (of prime afternoon drive!) after sunset? Why aren't they required to turn it off at sunset, the same time many stations are required to cut power and/or change pattern?

=====

(I suspect I know the answer, and it's not technical<grin>)

> > (I suspect I know the answer, and it's not technical)
>
> Gee, ya think...?
>
The times should deffinitely be linked with pattern change times, although I think Canada has something to do with it.<P ID="signature">______________
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.xstreamer.net/xinfo/v2/xstreamer.8.DC0000.ai4i.png>Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology</a>
</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ai4i on 12/08/05 02:42 PM.</FONT></P>

YES I HOPE CANADA PUTS UP SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT NIGHTTIME IBOC USE INTERFERING THAT THEY CAN THE WHOLE STUPID IDEA!!

COME ON CANADA!!!!!!!! WE WANT OUR NIGHTTIME DX ON AM TO REMAIN :)

Just wait until this coming weekend - a lot of the AM stations here in the States are going to flip the HD IBOC switch at 12:01AM Friday September 14th and never look back to turn it off - UNLESS - our friends in Canada realize what a mess they've got on their AM band at night after this happens! Canadian interference from 500KW WLW to CFRB is the main reason the FCC denied WLW's half million watts renewal.

Canada Doesn't Care

In case you haven't been paying attention, Canada has been killing off its AMs and assigning FM frequencies to broadcasters. AM is dieing, if not dead in Canada.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom