• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Self (aka Station) Inflicted Wounds

With the impending demise of “The Eagle”; has any other station had more self inflicted wounds that resulted in a format change?

The only ones that immediately come to mind are KMET from 85-87 and the slow death of KLOL from 1993-2004.

With the impending demise of “The Eagle”; has any other station had more self inflicted wounds that resulted in a format change?

The only ones that immediately come to mind are KMET from 85-87 and the slow death of KLOL from 1993-2004.
The "self inflicted woulds" are, in both cases, caused by not getting out of the format soon enough.

The death of KMET had to do with the failure of essentially all free(er) form rock stations to survive against researched and focused stations in the same format area. KMET was finally researched and deemed unsalvageable.

KLOL was victim of the changing demographics in Houston. That market is now less than 34% non-Hispanic white, and that has affected at least two formats that don't do well with the ethnic population: rock and country.

(Note: while later generation Hispanics may like all kinds of formats, among first and second generation neither rock or country have much... if any... appeal)

Agree with your assessment regarding KMET, but will push back a little on KLOL.

Post Rusk KLOL could have skewed older and capitalized on their heritage (Classic Rock) or skewed younger and been cutting edge (legitimately Active/Alternative hybrid); instead the many owners went right down the middle (which turned out to be the wrong rock path in Houston).

"The "self inflicted woulds" are, in both cases, caused by not getting out of the format soon enough."

The self inflicted wounds were:

*) Wrongfully thinking there was another talk show that could get away with talking on Eagle other than Russ.
*) Playing 50 year old classic oldies mixed with alternative music
*) Letting Scull go
*) Putting the Mavs on
*) Not having a morning show

Getting out of the format is an option only to people who don't know the format and can't tell what the problem is.

WIOT - Toledo
WCHI - Chicago
WMMS - Cleveland
KISW - Seattle
KISS - San Antonio
WJRR - Orlando
WXTB - Tampa
WRKZ - Columbus
WRIF - Detroit
WRXK - Ft. Myers

These are Active Rock stations who are getting it done.

*) Hire a morning show
*) Drop the alt and classic rock
*) Apologize for the past awful music
*) Drop the talk shows
*) Play only music that were top 5 hits in the format from the past 20 years
*) Hire jocks with attitude

Agree with your assessment regarding KMET, but will push back a little on KLOL.

Post Rusk KLOL could have skewed older and capitalized on their heritage (Classic Rock) or skewed younger and been cutting edge (legitimately Active/Alternative hybrid); instead the many owners went right down the middle (which turned out to be the wrong rock path in Houston).
Remember, the switch to Hispanic was based on the horrible results KLOL was getting in the pre-2008 tests of the PPM in Houston. Obviously, they saw no future there yet found doing a Spanish Adult CHR could be a major long term growth opportunity. They were right.

WIOT - Toledo
WCHI - Chicago
WMMS - Cleveland
KISW - Seattle
KISS - San Antonio
WJRR - Orlando
WXTB - Tampa
WRKZ - Columbus
WRIF - Detroit
WRXK - Ft. Myers
You have named a batch of markets that are very lightly Hispanic. Even San Antonio, despite being 52% Hispanic, has only about 8% Spanish dominant Hispanics and the multi-generational group even over-indexes on country!

Every other market has a high non-Hispanic white population, although Orlando is declining rapidly.

Comparing those markets with Dallas which has less than 40% of the under-50 population made up of non-Hispanic whites, and you have a shrinking target audience that won't be increasing either.

Remember, when a market has an overwhelming majority of Blacks and Hispanics, the younger listeners tend to be nearly all focused on rhythmic music.

Have white men moved away from Dallas?

Just answer that.
I already answered that. The market has grown immensely, but all the growth is from ethnic groups and non-Hispanic whites are down to about 40% and shrinking in 18-49 age groups.

I've spoken in the past with two friends who programmed rock stations in Dallas, and both agree that the rock segment is much smaller today than it was 20, 30 and 40 years ago. There are fewer non-Hispanic white men in the younger demos who listen to rock at all, and in the full 18-49 range the group of non-Hispanic whites has not grown and is now about half the percentage of the market it was 20 years ago.

Who were the programmers? I'd love to know who expelled that wisdom.

You keep saying the same thing, yet it still doesn't make any sense. If more Hispanic people MOVE here, then yes, the percentage of white people in the overall population demo is less. That doesn't mean that white people have moved or that there are less white people.

Rock is dead huh?

David isn't wrong, Dallas used to be a huge rock market. 20 years ago we still had The Edge, The Bone, The Eagle, KZPS, and Jack all playing rock at the same time.

DFW is different now, 20 years ago KLNO or any similarly formatted station could never be on top. Rhythmic has been a leader for longer than that. Rock is great and I'm a fan but radio is money.

I already answered that. The market has grown immensely, but all the growth is from ethnic groups and non-Hispanic whites are down to about 40% and shrinking in 18-49 age groups.

I've spoken in the past with two friends who programmed rock stations in Dallas, and both agree that the rock segment is much smaller today than it was 20, 30 and 40 years ago. There are fewer non-Hispanic white men in the younger demos who listen to rock at all, and in the full 18-49 range the group of non-Hispanic whites has not grown and is now about half the percentage of the market it was 20 years ago.
Are you trying to say that Hispanic/ethnic groups tend to have larger families than non-Hispanic whites without sounding racist? For the record, I'm under the impression that statistics prove that, but it is difficult to state anything, even facts, that might offend someone these days. I only mention this because it might provide an answer to Rudy's question about presumed "white flight" from DFW that might make more sense than the various stats and observations you've provided in this thread.

David isn't wrong, Dallas used to be a huge rock market. 20 years ago we still had The Edge, The Bone, The Eagle, KZPS, and Jack all playing rock at the same time.

DFW is different now, 20 years ago KLNO or any similarly formatted station could never be on top. Rhythmic has been a leader for longer than that. Rock is great and I'm a fan but radio is money.
Don't forget the old Q102 back in the day.

Are you trying to say that Hispanic/ethnic groups tend to have larger families than non-Hispanic whites without sounding racist? For the record, I'm under the impression that statistics prove that, but it is difficult to state anything, even facts, that might offend someone these days. I only mention this because it might provide an answer to Rudy's question about presumed "white flight" from DFW that might make more sense than the various stats and observations you've provided in this thread.

No.

My point is that just because the PERCENTAGE of Hispanics is rising, that doesn't mean that the white demo is shrinking.

Are you trying to say that Hispanic/ethnic groups tend to have larger families than non-Hispanic whites without sounding racist?
Yes, and all the Census data proves it... by a wide margin.
For the record, I'm under the impression that statistics prove that, but it is difficult to state anything, even facts, that might offend someone these days.
That is not opinion. It is fact.
I only mention this because it might provide an answer to Rudy's question about presumed "white flight" from DFW that might make more sense than the various stats and observations you've provided in this thread.
There is plenty of Census data that shows family size and household size. Both are significantly larger for Hispanics.

No.

My point is that just because the PERCENTAGE of Hispanics is rising, that doesn't mean that the white demo is shrinking.
As a percentage of the market, it is shrinking. If other groups increase in size, while non-Hispanic whites do not, then the portion of the market that they represent will decrease .

The potential sellable audience for the rock format is shrinking. That's why it's going away.

There are other formats that will attract that same demo without alienating it by playing the "wrong music."

If you don't play music, then you don't have to deal with Goldilocks saying "this porridge is too hot."

If you don't play music, then you don't have to deal with Goldilocks saying "this porridge is too hot."
Or, in a growing number of metroplex homes, "Esta papilla está muy caliente".

Or, in a growing number of metroplex homes, "Esta papilla está muy caliente".

The fact is that music taste in certain genres has become too individual. Radio has to recognize that rock music has changed, and bands today are not making hit songs for radio airplay. That's simply not what they're doing. They're making music for personal self expression. That's fine, but there's no reason why it needs to be broadcast on a radio station. Listen to it on your own device at your own time. We'll do something else with our radio signal.

Who knows...if this new format doesn't catch on, maybe it's time for Rumba in Dallas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom