• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Selections from Winnemucca, NV

Some of the recent Frequency of the Week threads are closed - so here's a selection of reception notes from north-central Nevada (Winnemucca) tonight.

740 - KCBS San Francisco! - noisy but steady. I heard the unmistakable voice of Phil Matier doing his "insider" commentary.
760 - KGB San Diego - strong
770 - KKOB Albuquerque - strong but there's something persistent under it that I couldn't identify
780 - Mix of KKOH Reno and WBBM Chicago - with KKOH being slightly stronger
810 - KGO San Francisco - fairly strong
820 - XEABCA Mexicali - heard the ID with call letters spelled out, noisy, faded in and out, but persistent
830 - KLAA Orange (Los Angeles) with Angels baseball - fairly strong
890 - KDXU St. George, UT (kind of obvious)
1000 - KNWN Seattle - strong
1010 - CBR Calgary! - varying but some strong peaks
1070 - KNX Los Angeles - could run a lightbulb off it

Would have liked to done more but it's been a long day. Interesting enough, there are no local AM stations in Winnemucca.

KWNA 1400 went dark several years ago and they eventually turned in the license. the FM is still around.

I visited in 2017.

I wonder what FM looks like out there. Do some of the high-power Reno stations make it? Elko? Even Boise? KTVB-7 and KBCI-2 (now KBOI) had translators out there at one point, channels 45 and 49.
The other 770 might be KCBC or KATL.

I've seen it. You don't get nearby KVLV 980 in Fallon? Unless they are off, of course. KVLV might make it into Winnemucca during the day as well. Along with KELK-1240 in Elko.

I've seen it. You don't get nearby KVLV 980 in Fallon? Unless they are off, of course. KVLV might make it into Winnemucca during the day as well. Along with KELK-1240 in Elko.
Distances are very far there. Elko was two hours away - on an 80-mph freeway. Fallon is even farther away. Note also that you're talking about daytime reception. I just didn't have time for that, as I have to be in Denver by Sunday! So I managed to get in half an hour in the hotel parking lot at 9 pm in Winnemucca. I did get a fairly strong signal on 980, in Spanish, which I believe might be KFWB, but I couldn't get a positive ID. A graveyard channel at night, of course, is just about hopeless.

There wasn't much on FM, either - two locals, one LPFM which I didn't hear, and a bunch of translators, most for religious outfits but one, thank goodness, for Nevada Public Radio (KUNR Reno + KLKR Elko).

I think you can't believe how empty northern Nevada is until you've driven it. What got me through it were CDs I burned of KFOG 10@10 airchecks.

KWNA 1400 Winnemucca, Nevada tower in the southeast part of town.. the studio used to be here but is on the main drag in Winnemucca.

On the roof of the studio building in town is a 10 watt translator at 104.5 powered by a Crown using a simple folded dipole.. that is the STL for KWNA-AM.. distance? About 1 to 2 miles by air.

kwnaamtower.jpg

Rack O' Equipment at KWNA AM/FM Winnemuca Nevada...satellite recievers, EAS, and Crown FM 100 transmitter for K283AP 104.5 which relays the AM, but i'm pretty certain the FM translator is what provides the program feed to the AM.
kwnarack.jpg

KWNA 1400/104.5 Winnemucca, Nevada studio

kwnaamstudio.jpg

KWNA 92.7 Studio and production room
1688248_10202567232999509_4113203377019588253_n.jpg

Now there's only the FM. It was broadcasting high school football last night (on a Thursday???)

Gosh, the studio looks like it's in somebody's bedroom and they haven't cleaned their room. But it's Winnemucca, not the iHeart cluster in Los Angeles...so they try!
My guess is SiriusXM has a good number of subscribers out there...

Gosh, the studio looks like it's in somebody's bedroom and they haven't cleaned their room. But it's Winnemucca, not the iHeart cluster in Los Angeles...so they try!
My guess is SiriusXM has a good number of subscribers out there...
Keep in mind that it's an isolated desert community. It felt a bit hardscrabble to me in places. There probably just aren't a lot of resources available.

Some of the recent Frequency of the Week are closed....
The suggestion was made several months ago to streamline. focus, and increase participation in "current" threads. So, after discussing the matter, the idea and objective of unsticking and then subsequently locking recent threads was put into effect. Agreement with this approach was at or very near universally met with positive reaction by everyone who commented. Including myself and our two administrators. The alternative was basically deleting old and very old. threads. But we felt that leaving up the old threads so that they could be accessed by anyone would still be useful. And if someone had something new they wanted to discuss or revisit, they could simply start a new thread or go to "Post Your Latest DX".

Hope that explains it to you. Mark, as well as to anyone new here. :)

The suggestion was made several months ago to streamline. focus, and increase participation in "current" threads. So, after discussing the matter, the idea and objective of unsticking and then subsequently locking recent threads was put into effect. Agreement with this approach was at or very near universally met with positive reaction by everyone who commented. Including myself and our two administrators. The alternative was basically deleting old and very old. threads. But we felt that leaving up the old threads so that they could be accessed by anyone would still be useful. And if someone had something new they wanted to discuss or revisit, they could simply start a new thread or go to "Post Your Latest DX".

Hope that explains it to you. Mark, as well as to anyone new here. :)
Thanks. I appreciate the explanation. I wasn't complaining about it; I was just surprised.

We arrived in Denver today, with the movers already waiting for us. Next stop....unpacking city. So I may not be able to do much with Frequency of the Week or other subjects for a while. I could mention 850 now.... that's rather easy here!

Thanks. I appreciate the explanation. I wasn't complaining about it; I was just surprised.

We arrived in Denver today, with the movers already waiting for us. Next stop....unpacking city. So I may not be able to do much with Frequency of the Week or other subjects for a while. I could mention 850 now.... that's rather easy here!

I lived in laramie wy, north of you about 150 miles.. and heard WQRM Duluth and KFUO St Louis over/under KOA at sunset a few times

Good luck with the new digs and unpacking. Always a heavy lift in ,more ways than one. I didn't take your post as a complaint. But rather it prompted me to explain how we had tweaked things earlier this year for those who might be newcomers or otherwise wondering what we're trying to do.

As for next week's FOTW, I'd suggest just holding off and just posting whenever you're comfortable and ready. Just chime in whenever you get the opportunity. It'll be welcome anytime. If needs be, I can keep the thread unlocked for an extra week or two if you need it.

Let me guess... at your new location you've got a local blowtorch on 850 with a monster signal There...I even helped you get started! :)

Interesting that KGB 760 was coming in clear and strong. There was speculation on the San Diego page that iHeart was not using the 50,000 watts at night for some reason.

But I doubt KGB was making it to Winnemucca with its daytime 5,000 watt signal. So it looks like the nighttime 50,000 watt signal is being used again after sunset!

Good luck with the new digs and unpacking. Always a heavy lift in ,more ways than one. I didn't take your post as a complaint. But rather it prompted me to explain how we had tweaked things earlier this year for those who might be newcomers or otherwise wondering what we're trying to do.

Thanks!
As for next week's FOTW, I'd suggest just holding off and just posting whenever you're comfortable and ready. Just chime in whenever you get the opportunity. It'll be welcome anytime. If needs be, I can keep the thread unlocked for an extra week or two if you need it.

Let me guess... at your new location you've got a local blowtorch on 850 with a monster signal There...I even helped you get started! :)
And they even kept their 3-letter calls!

I lived in laramie wy, north of you about 150 miles.. and heard WQRM Duluth and KFUO St Louis over/under KOA at sunset a few times
We drove past Laramie yesterday and spent the night in Cheyenne, a surprisingly lively city for its size. We plan to go back to visit once we have some more time....it's just about an hour and a half from Denver.

I'd also be interested in visiting Laramie, since I'm originally from a university town and it's always interesting to me to compare what different such communities are like (Columbia, Lawrence, Ames, Iowa City, Boulder, etc. - even Albuquerque sort of fits into that category with UNM - while Berkeley is on a planet of its own).

We drove past Laramie yesterday and spent the night in Cheyenne, a surprisingly lively city for its size. We plan to go back to visit once we have some more time....it's just about an hour and a half from Denver.

I'd also be interested in visiting Laramie, since I'm originally from a university town and it's always interesting to me to compare what different such communities are like (Columbia, Lawrence, Ames, Iowa City, Boulder, etc. - even Albuquerque sort of fits into that category with UNM - while Berkeley is on a planet of its own).

Laramie is a lovely city, safe, i think.... plenty of places to eat.. most of the radio sucks there, except for one or two stations.. one of which im still involved in. :)

Interesting that KGB 760 was coming in clear and strong. There was speculation on the San Diego page that iHeart was not using the 50,000 watts at night for some reason.

But I doubt KGB was making it to Winnemucca with its daytime 5,000 watt signal. So it looks like the nighttime 50,000 watt signal is being used again after sunset!
No speculation. They're diplexing KOGO 600 on the KGB 760 towers so work is/was being done. Quite a complex procedure.

Back
Top Bottom