• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seeking advice of a sales pro...

cricket08

Inactive
Inactive User
Season's Greetings everyone. What a fabulous forum this is. I have a couple questions for the radio pro's out there...

I'm thinking of applying for a sales position at a local radio station in my city. I have some sales experience, but nothing related to radio. I'm completely changing careers, actually, from 6 years in career/employment counselling and instructing. (other experience includes selling advertising for a 'yellow pages'-like product, door to door promotion sales, sales of nutritional products, and producing a documentary film). I'm changing directions because I'm craving something super-creative, challenging, and with open income potential.

My questions...
1. Can I get into radio sales with limited sales experience (about 2 yrs total)?

2. What makes a great radio sales rep?

3. Is there anything specific I should highlight on my resume?

4. Do you recommend any texts/books I can study before the interview?

Many thanks to anyone that can offer their wisdom to any of the above. And Happy Holidays!!

~Cricket

I'll bite, quickly, maybe others will fill in the gaps...

1. yes
2. Counseling background could help tremendously. Unlike the yellow pages radio is abstract so the presentation of features and benefits must be done more artfully. My list includes; empathy, imagination, persistence, closing the sale from the time you enter the door (subtly).
3. Whatever will get you the face to face interview, that is where you start selling.
4. Beyond the normal sales gurus for media specifics I recommend Jason Jennings and Chris Lytle. There was a very good book that the Radio Advertising Bureau push a decade and a half ago by (Roussou and Pierre ?) call "I tried it and it didn't work".

Good luck, if you try it allow me to implant three clinches: first - always ask for the buy; second - ask for the moon 'cause it's easier to go down rather than up; third - if you sell the numbers you'll be living by them which means you'll also die by them as well.

Hey I'll chime in also. First a bit about my background. Started as a dj back in the 70's when I saw automation coming I ran, not walked to the sales department. About 15 years ago I got a great offer from the local TV station in the market. I've been in Tv sales since, but I'll tell you it doesn't matter if it's TV or radio. Know your product, make sure you are working for a good operation and treat your clients as if the money you are asking for is your own money. Treat your clients like gold and they will continue to spend with you. Remember not only are you selling advertising you are also making new friends that if you treat them right will be with you for a life time. Now here are my answers to your questions.

1. Absolutley- Beck in the 80's I hired a former grocery store clerk and taught her the ropes, In 2 months she was the top biller at the station I was running. Go for It!

2. I think I described it in my opening paragraph

3. In your cover letter tell them upfront of your background and let them know you are up for the challenge.

4. Not necessarly any studying beforehand since you are not in the business. But be prepared to cram once you are hired.

Good luck to you...hope this helps.

you might have already read these but...

1) How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carneguie - This book changed my life, wish I had read it AND understood it 10 years ago

2) Ogilvy On Advertising - Gets your mind ready to deal w/ a lot of the day to day stuff...

After 17 years in "Radio" ... Another GREAT book, that I found a few years back ... "Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads" by Roy H. Williams .... GREAT BOOK!

And if you haven't read it in a while ... re-read ... Green Eggs and Ham!

Read: the 33 ruthless rules of local advertising. Corbet.

Should be the one book every AE in America should read. Won't tell you how to sell. it will tell you how to make radio advertising really work for local direct accounts.

Are you kidding? They'll hire Tom McCann show salesmen as long as it's commission based, now.
I'm selling major market radio right now, and our GSM has been raiding the used car lots as of late, for sales talent.
Anyone with a decent sales background can get in the door, it's just a matter of how good you are at cold calling.

Great in major market the sales manager is hiring used car sales people. Just what you’d want taking to advertisers. In market 47 the GM hired a stripper for sales. She had a great body. Is this the best we can do?

pocket-radio said:
Great in major market the sales manager is hiring used car sales people. Just what you’d want taking to advertisers. In market 47 the GM hired a stripper for sales. She had a great body. Is this the best we can do?

I've said for years they (strippers) are good at asking for the business (Want a private dance), handling rejection (No, are you sure, I'll make it worth your money), obviously they can command any room they enter, should be self confident, willing to work hard to get by, negotiating skills, etc. That's the upside. The downside will only happen if they become really "personal" to get the order, of course I'm sure that has NEVER happened in radio sales before.

A book I learned a lot out of is Tom Hopkins' "How to master the Art of Selling."

Best advice...never ask a question that can be answered "no".

Example, not "Can I help you?," but, "How can I help you?"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom