• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle-Tacoma Radio Ratings - Holiday 2022

But I was doing a live FM show at the same time! And Seattle is not a small market. Could this be the era where everything changed?

Last edited:
Nearly $100 k in Go-Carts and Instacarts and the controller! That is the equivalent of $500 k, more or less, in today's dollars.
Gawd, Instacarts! One of the stations I worked at dumped a ton of money into those. Once we put them in service, had to take them off line almost immediately. I had to completely redesign and rebuild the tone filters from scratch. The main problem; if a station used tertiary and secondary tones on their carts, the crappy filters that came on the Instacarts most times couldn't differentiate between the two tones. If you used one cue tone for say, telling the automation to load the next song/spot/promo, and the other tone for rolling a voice track, the machine would mix the two up. Sometimes a tertiary would trigger the wrong function, or both functions. Sometimes a secondary tone would generate a stop command, so the cart stopped suddenly and was left in the machine un-cued. Then you had those three foot long capstans, which caused the top bearings to fail regularly, or if you had multiple decks running live on the single capstan and motor, the wow and flutter would be noticeable because the motor(s) didn't have enough torque.
I don't miss those days one bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom