• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle observations

Well, I was in the market for only the third time since I moved, and this was the first time I really got to do a largely comprehensive scan of the FM dial. About the only thing I was surprised about is that Star has another new voice, apparently Shawn Caldwell didn't last long. It also appears that they've adjusted their schedule back to what it used to be. Although I still don't recognize the station, it sounds more like what I recognize now than it did in January. Also, this might be a question for Kelly or David. Is there different processing that can be put on imaging? I noticed Howard Cogan sounded really different than he has on Jack, sounds like he might be using a different mic or something now. It sounds more like what you'd hear on the satellite version of the format. Other than that, not much surprised me, I would expect new imaging throughout the market after being away for a couple years, and that's pretty much what I got.

I'm not sure how to answer. I'll listen OTA when I come up there for Christmas. What I CAN say, is I'd give my left arm to program a station in Seattle. Those few that do it poorly should be ashamed of themselves. :)

The GEICO announcer ("15 minutes could save you 15% or more...") has been doing JACK FM sweepers for a few years now.

You don't need any real PD experience as obvious by looking around. Group SVP's who have Promotions background leading programming is a freaking joke. In all fairness though even a monkey with a lobotomy could program most of these formats as the local PDs have NO say in music and scheduling is all done via G Selector so there isn't much brain power required to hit schedule and run a log.

You don't need any real PD experience as obvious by looking around. Group SVP's who have Promotions background leading programming is a freaking joke. In all fairness though even a monkey with a lobotomy could program most of these formats as the local PDs have NO say in music
Going back to the days of WLS and WABC, PDs only guided a station. The music came from research.
and scheduling is all done via G Selector
Or, in more stations, MusicMaster. And stations have been using computer scheduling for over 40 years. But it takes enormous skill to set either program up to optimize rotations, music sets, etc.
so there isn't much brain power required to hit schedule and run a log.
But great skill is involved in setting the rules, and coding each song.

But great skill is involved in setting the rules, and coding each song.
Back in the late 80's I was trying to encourage RCS to start a BBS (pre-internet) where they would provide default codes for new music. Some of those fields (which most people don't use) are pretty tough -- like open/close musical key; but others could be defaulted and downloaded and then people could override with their own category codes, etc. or adjust things like mood/tempo if their own standards deviated.

Oh well.

Very true. The initial Metadata set up for a song is tedious. Some of it is straight forward like Artist, and timing, other boxes to tick and data to input require more skill. Even a format adjustment could mean you are adjusting not only the music software but the Metadata of the song

The GEICO announcer ("15 minutes could save you 15% or more...") has been doing JACK FM sweepers for a few years now.
I'd have to listen a little more closely when up that way again, but that may in fact be the voice Rogers is using now. Seattle is still using the same voice they always have, it just sounds like a different recording setup or processing now, the same setup the satellite format has used for some time. While I'll be in the market again in late October, I won't be anywhere near Canada this time as I was a couple weeks ago.

I'm not sure how to answer. I'll listen OTA when I come up there for Christmas. What I CAN say, is I'd give my left arm to program a station in Seattle. Those few that do it poorly should be ashamed of themselves. :)
What are your qualifications? How many successful stations have you programmed?

If this is who I think it is, He's OM/PD/On air of multiple stations in Nebraska and Kansas.. pretty talented guy overall.

If they're so talented, what's preventing them from saying so?

Maybe like you, he wants to remain a bit anonymous ...

He's apparently got arms, a prerequisite for being an armchair PD, although he implies he'll be amputating his left one in order to get the real job.
Thanks "Some Radio Guy".

• I've been programming succesful stations in medium and smaller markets for nearly 30 years. -
  • I don't have the time to sit here all day and respond to messages and threads. I usually just check in one a week or so on my lunch break.
  • I'm not looking for work or to leave my current position, just saying that I grew up in Seattle and would love to program in that market before or even after I retire.
  • Have you guys met your sales quota yet?

Kelly, when I come up there we should grab lunch at the Coins. DM me for my number. I'll be in Federal (Felony) Way and Auburn during my stay.
Would be great if we make that work, thanks. I'm at my other home/job in Washington D.C. until probably closer to the holidays. Will DM you to see if you're going to be around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom