• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Schulke music question

chrish

Inactive
Inactive User
I am a former Bonneville and Schulke programmed station CE and I have a song question if Phil Stout or Walt Powers lurks around this board as do many lovers of real Beautiful Music. This has stuck in my mind for years and would sure like to get a copy of this song or at least identify who recorded it.
I remember driving on I-95 crossing over the bridge into Delaware listening to WWSH 106.1 and hearing an instrumental version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" I was astounded by not only the incredible quality of the WWSH audio but also the quality of this song. I was driving a new Chevy Monte Carlo with their high end GM Delco audio system before the curse of automatic slow blend to mono circuits (which I have always disabled) and thought to myself Edwin Armstrong would be delirious....it doesn't get any better than this....It sent chills down my spine.

I am a member of a Yahoo group to which Mr. Stout used to belong, but there were several unfortunate incidents and he doesn't visit any more. I can present these questions to the group and maybe someone will answer. The name Walter Powers seems familiar; he might still be a member.

Walt Powers was part of the consortium under Loring Fischer and Marlin Taylor who ran Bonneville

I forgot to post this until yesterday but got a response immediately.

Tue Jan 3, 2012 1:29 pm (PST)

A good bet would be that the version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" you're seeking is the one
by Gordon Franks from his Deram LP 'Orchestral In The Night'. This album, along with
"Strings In The Night" (another classic Franks album) has recently been released on CD on
the Vocalion label.

Two more responses in that topic since then:

Thu Jan 5, 2012 8:08 am (PST)

I?ve been playing several tracks from that LP on Escape for several years ? a friend did
a CD transfer of the LP. Don?t have the other album, but will order ? thanks to Forrest?s
info.

MT

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:16 PM

Wow didn't think anyone remembered this one, found this Gordon Franks lp in a bargan box
at a place called "Ameba Records" maybe back in the late 80's and as Forest mentioned this
lp does include "Sweet Georgia Brown" I have the original Deram label with some
interesting liner notes on how it was recoreded producing a different type of stereo
sound.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom