• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Santa Didn't Like KOOL

Holiday numbers are out, and once again it was the most wonderful time of the year for KEZ with a commanding 15 share. Not so for KOOL with a 4.4 share. Very little of this matters as darned few sales are made based on the one time nature of this survey. Here's the Buckeye Media Hut advice for Entercom - let KEZ own All Ho-Ho-Ho and concentrate on what you do best. OK? (pls remit $35,000 to Los Buckeye Boyz for overnight analysis) https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057

However, KOOL had an impressive improvement over the December book, no? From a 3.3 to a 4.4.

They have reclaimed their spot in the Top 10.

Yeah but here’s the problem Doc, KOOL doesn’t do anything the “best” anymore. They are a station struggling to find an identity. Do they want to be classic hits? Do they want to be AC? Are they an 80’s station? Are they a 90’s station? The problem is, KOOL was doing great when they were oldies and even when they were classic hits. When they shifted to mostly 80’s and 90’s, 95.1 The Oasis came along and scooped up those listeners and they sound 1,000 times better than KOOL. KOOL is not so cool anymore.

It's a crowded field with KSLX, KYOT and KOOL competing in the Classic Hits genre. Then right after Halloween, KOOL decides to shyt-can what was working pretty well, and try to pre-empt a station that has been known for decades as the Christmas station. Don't axe Nurse Jeff and me why. But perhaps the Old Gringo can look beyond the 6+ numbers and tell us how KOOL did before and after they were simply having a wonderful Christmas time.

I sometimes feel I'm watching a cooking show, where the chef is there with a real sharp knife, chopping up the carrots.

Gotta side with the Doc here. KOOL used to be neck and neck with KESZ. Both KOOL and KESZ have made moves to keep from growing too old, but KOOL is getting flanked by KYOT, KESZ, KSLX, and KOAI.

iHeart and Hubbard have built some really nice clusters in the market. iHeart is drinking Entercom's milkshake in Phoenix right now.

Would someone explain the so-so ratings for KFYI to me? I moved here 2 1/2 years ago after living in LA for 50+ years although I've posted on this board for years.

Haven't KOOL, KFYI, KESZ, KMLE and KNIX been perennial powerhouses with solid 25-54 numbers for decades here a la KOST, KRTH, and KFI back home in LA?

Thanks!

Would someone explain the so-so ratings for KFYI to me? I moved here 2 1/2 years ago after living in LA for 50+ years although I've posted on this board for years.

Haven't KOOL, KFYI, KESZ, KMLE and KNIX been perennial powerhouses with solid 25-54 numbers for decades here a la KOST, KRTH, and KFI back home in LA?

Thanks!

Rush's act still plays well in Sun City.

That doesn't help you 25-54.

Thanks!

First, KFI is no longer a 25-54 powerhouse in LA. It is waaaaay outside the top 10.

And KFYI stopped getting good 25-54 numbers once KTAR-FM established itself. It does not help that KFYI is an AM in a market that long ago outgrew all of its AM signals.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 25-54 in Phoenix are preferring classic rock to classic hits, and they're preferring music to news.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 25-54 in Phoenix are preferring classic rock to classic hits, and they're preferring music to news.

It's safe to say that for those who prefer talk, the full market FM signals (KTAR, KMVP) outrank their AM competition.

But yeah, KSLX is a monster right now.

And KFYI stopped getting good 25-54 numbers once KTAR-FM established itself. It does not help that KFYI is an AM in a market that long ago outgrew all of its AM signals.

KFYI can still reach its aging audience (the Sun Cities, east Mesa, Apache Jct., Wickenburg) during the day, when Limbaugh and Hannity are on. But once they drop to 1000 watts at night, they might still be OK in Sun City, but they barely make it to my house in NE Mesa, and then only when I take the radio outside.

The market outgrowing KFYI's signal is not as much of the problem as being on Ancient Modulation. When KTAR moved to 92~Three, 5~Fifty became quite vulnerable in the money demos. While I Heart Media could have moved them to 95~Five, what was left for 5~Fifty, other than becoming another Sports Parking Lot? Oops, then they'd have another problem with what to do with 9~Ten. Los Buckeye Boyz believe KFYI will be conservative talk until the ratings can no longer be monitized.

How long did it take KTAR to pass KFYI after they moved to the FM side?

I've read several stories that over 90,000,000 folks listen to the radio weekly according to Nielsen and others, but is there any way to determine what percentage of those listeners listen to AM radio?

Is there currently a spot somewhere on FM to which KFYI could be moved to if needed to 'save' the station?

Is there currently a spot somewhere on FM to which KFYI could be moved to if needed to 'save' the station?

That's part of the problem. All five of iHeart's FMs are in the Top 10. Thy can't blow one of them up for conservative talk.

My view is the attraction for KTAR isn't the talk, but the news. Just putting syndicated talk on FM won't attract young audiences.

That's part of the problem. All five of iHeart's FMs are in the Top 10. Thy can't blow one of them up for conservative talk.

My view is the attraction for KTAR isn't the talk, but the news. Just putting syndicated talk on FM won't attract young audiences.

Even when KYOT was trying to segue from Smooth Jazz to Rhythmic AC, blowing it up to simulcast KFYI didn't make a lot of sense. It wouldn't outperform what they had at 550, simulcasting 550 and 95.5 would make less money than if they left it alone, and anything else they did on 550 wouldn't make more money.

KTAR moving to FM wasn't an overnight success - the station needed to evolve to get the demos right.

I'm with the Doc on this one. KFYI isn't what it used to be, but you'll lose more money if you mess with it than just let it be.

KTAR moving to FM wasn't an overnight success - the station needed to evolve to get the demos right.

Exactly right, and even Nurse Jeff and I thought the evolution would be sooner than later. Having both news/talk stations on the AM band helped each other. But when KTAR went to 92~Three, that same band sampling of the two stations went away. We can still remember how giddy Pat McMahon was telling listeners they could hear their favorite station in stereo. That wasn't the benefit, as the story became you could hear KTAR on a band where most people listen...especially those under the age of 55.

Yeah but here’s the problem Doc, KOOL doesn’t do anything the “best” anymore. They are a station struggling to find an identity. Do they want to be classic hits? Do they want to be AC? Are they an 80’s station? Are they a 90’s station? The problem is, KOOL was doing great when they were oldies and even when they were classic hits. When they shifted to mostly 80’s and 90’s, 95.1 The Oasis came along and scooped up those listeners and they sound 1,000 times better than KOOL. KOOL is not so cool anymore.

KOAI doesn't have much of anything with less than a 2 share. Just how did they "scoop" anything from KOOL-FM?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom