• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego stations silenced for Chelsea King

ncountysurf

Inactive
Inactive User
I happened to be driving in Carlsbad today at noon when several SD stations paid respect to Chelsea King. I thought it was admirable that nearly all stations in the market banded together. I noticed the silence on Z90.3, 91X, Magic 92.5, Channel 9-3-3, Star 94.1, FM 94/9, KyXy 96.5, KPRi, [email protected], and 105.7 The Walrus, and I'm sure I missed a few. Z90 followed with 'Miss You' from Aalyiah, and 91X followed with Vampire Weekend (a favorite of King's). Sara McLachlan's Angel was on 9-3-3, Star, and Sophie (and maybe KyXy). FM 94/9 followed with a different Vampire Weekend song. KPRi had Green Day's (Time of Your Life).

Just a nice tribute from San Diego radio today...

I think this was a really bad and cheap precedent which comes off as a bad publicity stunt for stations which really are becoming irrelevant media sources, such as the San Diego Union-Tribune.

While the Chelsea King murder is certainly sad and unfortunate, are these stations going to now do a "silence tribute" for everybody who is senselessly murdered? What about for the San Diego homeless who die an anonymous death and end up in potter's grave at Mt. Hope?

Or are these tributes going to be for only other beautiful blonde young women who are murdered?

Sad.

I agree.

sdwulfdawg said:
While the Chelsea King murder is certainly sad and unfortunate, are these stations going to now do a "silence tribute" for everybody who is senselessly murdered?

Or are these tributes going to be for only other beautiful blonde young women who are murdered?

Those are good questions.

way to go guys: dig far enough and you can find something negative.
at least your comments don't make you look foolish or bitter.
no, really. mean it.

You don't have to dig at all to find plenty that's negative about this story.

The TODAY Show does this all the time. White, pretty and missing gets at least 3 days of coverage, every time.

You'd think no poor women of color ever go missing and turn up murdered.

Sad, indeed.

The sad part of this is the fact that since this just happened, you cannot point something out (regardless if it's true or not) without coming across insensitive after a tragedy like this.

We should regard all human life as precious. That includes Chelsea.

The time to bring this up is if another child/teenager comes up missing and get's little or no press from the media.

My heart goes out to Chelsea.

Looooong time lurker, but these comments finally urged me to create a login.

I applaud those that took the time to recognize in any fashion what happened. I just don't see it as Chelsea was a caucasian girl from Poway and thats why they went silent.... this has everything to do with how the community came together to search and then grieve for her and share in her family's sorrow. These events touch many. And I think that is what the silent salute was all about, really. We as a community have done it in the past for others, even those of color (Jahi Turner is one). Let me remind you we do it often for fallen police officers and firefighters. We did it for all the victims of 9/11. Just one small way of paying respect to someone who has passed. Make it personal if you want...change the channel if it bugs you.

I believe in the past some stations (none in SD that I can think of) even observed moments of silence for deceased politicians (what were they thinking??).

So thats my $.099 (marked down from 2)

romer979fm said:
way to go guys: dig far enough and you can find something negative.
at least your comments don't make you look foolish or bitter.
no, really. mean it.
How was anyone "digging" to find something negative? In fact, how do asking questions make anyone seem "foolish or bitter"? For the record, I am for this, and glad stations banded together to do something like this. But, the other poster raises a couple of good questions there.

Granite Ridge Drive does not believe in tears.

It believes in $$$ and it believes in publicity, and wants to some how divert attention from how it has decimated its stations and entertainment and information sources.

The Chelsea King murder was an attempt on their part to nudge themselves into the local media spotlight. If you don't believe this, then I can sell you a couple of tickets to cross the Coronado bridge.

I will eat my words the next time a person of color in San Diego is brutally murdered and they do moments of silence, tributes, etc.

I totally agree with sdwulf. While her death is tragic, there are so many others who also have passed in the same manner. I think a nice message on the air would have been nice but not total silence. I remember when John Lennon was murdered, stations went off the air. Now that was different.

I would have felt pretty good if a few of those station had remained silent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom