• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego Radio Ratings - November 2022

Covering the period from Thu. October 13 thru Wed. November 9,
age 6+ overall: RadioInsight San Diego Ratings Nov. 2022

Magic 92.5 leads with 7.2 with sister station 100.7 Big FM at #2 (6.6).
KOGO got a little election bounce whereas KPBS was off slightly.
Up sharply: Magic, Sunny, Rock 105.3 (4.7!), Amor 102.9.
Downward: KGB-FM, KSON, Pulsar 107.3.

KGB-AM (San Diego Sports 760) cumes 61,400 while the stream of 97.3 The Fan cumes 62,700.
(The Fan over-the-air signal cumes 226,600.)
The Fan success can be attributed to Padres playoff games:
PBP of Games 3 + 4 vs. the Dodgers in the NLDS and the 5 games vs. the Phillies in the NLCS.

I don't think I have seen a stream rating as high as a 2.0 before. The Fan may have broken the record. 97.3 has a lot of signal issues in the north county, but intense interest in the playoffs with many people that were out and about listening on their smartphone, and while at the game, accounts for that big number. I suspect that rating will drop big time next month.

• The two CHRs (93.3, 90.3) have fallen quite a bit from near their market leading positions in prior years.
  • 91X has been back sliding - seems the excitement about their refocus to being more classic has faded. In fact, San Diego has been a good market for alternative for 40+ years... so it's not comforting to see both KBZT and XTRA-FM struggling with below 2s. Both were above 2 as recently as this summer (both July and August periods).

It's amazing that this Alternative battle between 91X and KBZT has been going on for 20 YEARS now! During this time they have had almost split even ratings, with 94.9 getting a slight upper hand. It's been a 20 year staring contest to see who blinks first (format change). I see no end in sight. Although I'm rooting for 91X.

I noticed Rock 105.3, which had been playing quite a bit of alternative product, has rolled back the spins devoted to such material in recent days (or weeks). They are rocking pretty hard again, and I like that!

I noticed Rock 105.3, which had been playing quite a bit of alternative product, has rolled back the spins devoted to such material in recent days (or weeks). They are rocking pretty hard again, and I like that!
Remember, the XETRA-FM 60 dbu signal only reaches Encinitas, while KBZT reaches beyond Oceanside and almost to Fallbrook. But, despite that, the two bill almost identically and the ratings, as you mention, are close to enough each other to be a virtual tie.

Remember, the XETRA-FM 60 dbu signal only reaches Encinitas, while KBZT reaches beyond Oceanside and almost to Fallbrook. But, despite that, the two bill almost identically and the ratings, as you mention, are close to enough each other to be a virtual tie.
Yeah, where I am at in Carlsbad, KBZT comes in great, 91X, not so great. Some static driving around town and no HD like KBZT. Similar issues with 97.3 The Fan. Probably explains why they have a 2.0 share for streaming - I bet a lot of those are North County listeners who can’t get the station well on 97.3 FM.

With KXSN having lost a decent chunk of 6+ shares over the past several months, I'm curious if they've done the same in the sales demos or if their performance in those demos actually improved in that time. Granted, they did bounce back a bit in 6+ this month, though not like 6+ really means anything.

It's interesting that 91X has problems in North SD County, but that during strong Summertime inversion conditions those 100 kWs at 700 above sea level from Mt San Antonio go right over the water and nearly wipe out coastal reception in VC and SB county of KUSC's 91.1 full power class B station KDSC located near Ojai.

It's interesting that 91X has problems in North SD County, but that during strong Summertime inversion conditions those 100 kWs at 700 above sea level from Mt San Antonio go right over the water and nearly wipe out coastal reception in VC and SB county of KUSC's 91.1 full power class B station KDSC located near Ojai.
During those tropo-ducting conditions, many of the San Diego FM stations (most of which have transmitters on Mt. Soledad) also come in very strong along the coast all the way up to Santa Barbara -- about 190 miles away.

I remember XETRA 690 it was a "San Diego" station, except they had a 77KW transmitter in Tijuana BC, they had an incredibly strong signal in L.A. some 120 miles away, sounded like a local. I believe the FOX TV affiliate is also licensed in Mexico.,

I remember XETRA 690 it was a "San Diego" station, except they had a 77KW transmitter in Tijuana BC, they had an incredibly strong signal in L.A. some 120 miles away, sounded like a local. I believe the FOX TV affiliate is also licensed in Mexico.,
XETV 6 used to be the SD Fox affiliate. It is now 100% programming in Español. The Fox station is now Fox 5...Cable 5, digital OTA ch 26, virtual 69.1

XETV 6 used to be the SD Fox affiliate. It is now 100% programming in Español. The Fox station is now Fox 5...Cable 5, digital OTA ch 26, virtual 69.1
I should add that the Fox 5 call letters are KSWB which stood for San Diego WB network. As I said they are now Fox.

Ch 8 (KFMB-TV) is still CBS digital OTA ch 8 & virtual 8.1, Ch 10 (KGTV) is still ABC digital OTA ch 10 & virtual 10.1. NBC is NBC owned KNSD, NBC 7 (Cable 7), Digital OTA ch 17, virtual 39.1. The CW affiliate is KFMB-TV virtual ch 8.2.

I should add that the Fox 5 call letters are KSWB which stood for San Diego WB network. As I said they are now Fox.

Ch 8 (KFMB-TV) is still CBS digital OTA ch 8 & virtual 8.1, Ch 10 (KGTV) is still ABC digital OTA ch 10 & virtual 10.1. NBC is NBC owned KNSD, NBC 7 (Cable 7), Digital OTA ch 17, virtual 39.1. The CW affiliate is KFMB-TV virtual ch 8.2.
Yeah, having the CW affiliate on a sub channel is a bizarre concept to me here in the San Diego television market. I would think that somebody would have to affiliate with them, but I guess not!

Yeah, having the CW affiliate on a sub channel is a bizarre concept to me here in the San Diego television market. I would think that somebody would have to affiliate with them, but I guess not!
Well...the last I heard KECC ch 9 in El Centro which used to be the primary CBS affiliate for the Yuma-El Centro market...ch 9.1 is now Fox and 9.2 is CBS...go figure...

I wish KUSI should be part of the larger group like Fox, Sinclair, Gray, or Hearst and having all the 5 major networks having affiliations on .1

During those tropo-ducting conditions, many of the San Diego FM stations (most of which have transmitters on Mt. Soledad) also come in very strong along the coast all the way up to Santa Barbara -- about 190 miles away.
Before interfering LP FM stations were authorized, during a strong inversion, you could sometimes hear 101.5 KGB from about San Luis Obispo all the way down the coast to San Diego almost without interruption.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom