• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego radio on air longevity

Okay, who has been:

On radio the longest in San Diego? (they have to be currently on-the-air)

On the same station the longest?

In the same air shift the longest? (everyone at KYXY :) )

radio-darn said:
Okay, who has been:

On radio the longest in San Diego? (they have to be currently on-the-air)

Gloria Penner has been at KPBS since 1969, but I don't know if she was on radio then or just TV? If she has been on KPBS-FM for 41 years, that would be hard to beat. She started on radio in the 1950's so she must be right behind Doug Best when it comes to being the oldest person with a regular program on San Diego radio.

KSON is the longest running station with the same format. KYXY was a beautiful music station while KSON was country. Also KYXY was automated. KSON always had live DJ'S

I'd say Nick Upton. A consumate professional. I never minded changing a broken mic off switch when he was unhappy with a break. Didn't happen often, but did happen. Good guy, great talent.

RadeoEngineer said:
I'd say Nick Upton. A consumate professional. I never minded changing a broken mic off switch when he was unhappy with a break. Didn't happen often, but did happen. Good guy, great talent.

I worked with Nick at KOWN Escondido in about 1975-76: great guy - he is right up there for air talent longevity at one station. I have heard he is the love child of Gloria Penner and Doug Best, which explains his steadiness in an unsteady business, but I wouldn't repeat that rumor.

Nick is now in his 32nd year at KSON, and Penner has been at KPBS for 41, but again, not sure if she's been on the radio side all that time.

Sam Bass currently on KYXY. I believe he's been on the air there since 1978 or so. Gene Knight and Sonny West, also at KYXY, have been on the air in San Diego for many years. Gene since the early 70's, I believe, and Sonny since about 1979 (I met him when he was working at K-105 (KITT).) And isn't Jim McGinnis still doing news at KFMB? Does that qualify or is he working for one of the news/traffic services? He's still on the air, though. I think it's a toss-up between Nick Upton and Sam Bass for being at the same commercial station for the longest. All hail the old vets!

Yes Nick Upton and Sam Bass for sure. And super guys as well. Longtimers right there. Just like JM has had a forever career in SD. I was thinking, female wise I think Coe Lewis has been on the air since her start in 1985 (?). Didn't she start at KSON? And I think she joined KGB not long after. Other than Gloria Penner who will reign supreme, I think Coe is next. Maureen Cavanaugh has been on the air for a really long time too. Wow, look at these names. These are real talents in San Diego. Wow.

JohnnyOhJohnny said:
Sam Bass?

Does anyone have any dates on when various KYXY folk started there? Sam would have to hold the record for doing the same shift for the most years and I wonder if anyone can beat Sonny for morning show longevity? I know he's been doing it at KYXY for at least 14 years and maybe for as long as 19 years.

And is Ralph Rodarte the longest-serving only overnight jock in San Diego?

KYXY also gets the Tortise and Hare award. Clear Channel came in, created all sorts of turmoil and chaos, paid big bucks for various talent, cut spot load, cut budgets, fired load paid staff, fired high pad staff, etc. and left a shambles.

KYXY meanwhile held a steady course, kept the talent and (hopefully) kept paying them a decent salary (albeit not in the JnJ and DSC neighborhood) kept its overnight show and kept its audience.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom