• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Same Old Same Old About FCC Regs.

Timewarp said:
Let’s put this in simple English. One Twentieth of a watt is cordless telephone power.
This will not effectively serve much more than a city block. Like your cordless phone,
someone with a deluxe setup may hear you miles away. But you may have trouble next door.
If you built a part 15 AM at a school, the principal may have trouble getting a clear signal
in the office. unless he turns off the computers.

Yeah... silly that this topic is making it to 20 pages guaranteed by this weekend no doubt. Many schools are operating Part 15 AMs with no trouble broadcasting and with children as DJs and having a blast... where else will the talent come from and it's a great way for kids/parents/teachers/school admin to get information/events on the air when parent school pickup is on the way all while in their cars... I mean it's happening right now... minipower transmitters but powerful voices can make it work as seen by the successful commercial and may I say noncommercial Part 15 AM all while doing it legally.

Radiopilot

It does not make sense to push part 15 AM on a church or school at a time when the FCC is talking
about opening thousands of LPFM channels.

I think some people would like to sell snow to a Canadian.

Timewarp said:
It does not make sense to push part 15 AM on a church or school at a time when the FCC is talking

???? Not sure I understand this... Our college of arts and design (Savannah College of Arts and Design - SCAD) has been trying for years since they opened the LPFM to get a CP but never got one, our high school for the arts has applied and never got anywhere even though we have been told we may get a chance on the next window, so what do we do all this time till 2013... twiddle our thumbs or do we go on the air with however numbers of transmitters to let everyone know we have a voice in our community?

Most of the LPFMs fell to translators and religious groups, they pounced on the applications and filings like fleas on a rabid dog... I know of ony a handful of LPFMs that went to community groups and organizations that have nothing to do with organized religion, I mean every FM station from 92.2 through 87.7 is filled with religious programming all owned by religious groups?????? What a waste of air and it's the FCC fault for allowing such.

In the mean time we can only do what Fox Sport 1650 in Flagstaff and many others are doing with Part 15 AM. Any suggestions?

Radiopilot

One Twentieth of a watt is cordless telephone power.
This will not effectively serve much more than a city block.
Originally cordless phones used what is now the expanded AM band; I will never forget roaming up to the top end of the AM dial back in the late 70's, and finding a conversation between a school teacher playing hooky from school and another woman who turned out to be another school teacher. It was then I realized we had a problem with our local educational system; the school teacher was bragging to the other woman about all the tryst her husband, a junior high school principal, was having with female students at the school. She told the other woman, he would bring the girls home for a little family romance with the two of them!

The other thing that really surprised me, was the fact the very strong signal was coming from over thee long (1/2 mile) blocks away. Here was a hand held phone with a small rod antenna indoors, lighting up the neighborhood with a very strong signal on another indoor radio. That was when I realized the viability of Part 15 AM broadcasting; I knew placing the antenna outdoors was only going to improve things; tuning the antenna would make it even better, and good grounding would make it sing.

The rest is history! Now we have turnkey certified transmitters that can cover a mile or two with ease. For the record: I know one 50,000 watt radio station, I can completely null out, just two short blocks from the transmitter site. Here in the desert; two 6,000 watt FM transmitters can't be herd two miles away in one direction, and one I know is non directional, and other one; FCC records showing it is too (not really). Not every station, regardless of its power or location, is going to provide 100 percent coverage of its market; anymore than a newspaper is going to have 100 percent readership among its subscribers. The fact is that FOX Sports 1650 AM, comes third in local surveys; suggest that its signal is adequate enough to attract a large audience, which is attractive to local advertisers; enriching the station owner.

Sometimes you have to separate theory from reality; theory says it can't, reality says it does. I am the type that prefers living in the real world of reality, as opposed to theory.

You might want to lay off the yellow snow! It might not be lemonade Yet!
To avoid reality is foolish!

What does not make since to you, is reality. The FCC is just talking; Why wait for what might happen, when you can deal with what is already available. Keep in mind; there is nothing stopping a part 15 AM broadcaster from applying for an LPFM CP, once a window opens. In the meantime, I will keep cashing the checks and enjoy what is reality today. In the case of a school campus, there is always the option of a free radiating antenna system and a bit more power, or carrier current AM.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

The power bill on three thousand watts is about $200 a month. The power bill is not
the major cost of operating a station.

In this life, if you want to reach for the stars, you must dream big!
But, I can't do if for you. If you are satisfied with cordless phone power, go for it.
I am not selling anything.

I understand what Mr Fry is saying this time. People were misrepresenting part 15 range
and rules. This was not fair to the people who want to build their own station.

Timewarp said:
The power bill on three thousand watts is about $200 a month. The power bill is not

But, I can't do if for you. If you are satisfied with cordless phone power, go for it.

I understand what Mr Fry is saying this time. People were misrepresenting part 15 range

The power bill on Part 15 transmitters is virtually pennies a month in comparison... ;) not sure what your take is on this... I myself don't sell transmitters, radio boards, antennas, wire, or anything else related to broadcasting... however I do sell air time on my station and lots of it and doing well, others as stated previously are doing very well as posted... now if this is cordless phone power GREAT and alot of us aren't complaining (all the way to the bank I might add)... it's always the 'rain on your parade' types doing it all the time, either too much time or they have some envy on what we have accomplished, why not join that parade!

Misrepresenting???? This is something most likely what you're doing here and taking Mr. Fry along on that ride... I'm sure that is one hell of a trip for sure!

Radiopilot

Timewarp said:

It's not a question of dreaming big, it is the other factors that get in the way; the FCC, banks, city counsels and so on. I've lost thousands of dollars trying to build an AM station the licensed way.

And while I was able to write off the monetary costs on my taxes, there is no way I can write off the emotional cost, time and frustration this experience caused me.

LPFM is a waste of time for a budding broadcaster. Let the churches and schools, institutions that have the resources to keep them lit, have them. Part 15 AM is cost effective (no money spent on hiring a broadcast lawyer) and makes sense for those who see a need for a station in their community and want to start building one immediately (as opposed to eight years from now).

C5

Anybody read the Jack Sellmeyer interview in this April's edition of "Breaking the Box: New Waves in Radio"? Fascinating stuff. Particularly page 8, where he mentions a licensed station being cited for spurious emissions that weren't even mathematically possible and his estimate that 50-60% of licensed stations aren't in compliance with their licenses. I'm not going to quote every interesting tidbit, it's a good article and well worth the read.

But in case anyone is still actually following this topic, I figured I'd mention it since a station being cited for spurious emissions that aren't mathematically possible reminded me a bit of the mentions in this thread of a part 15 station being told the power was still too high even after it had been turned down to zero. I don't like to think of it, but Mr Sellmeyer seems to be saying that there are a lot less engineers in the field working for the FCC anymore. Maybe there's a lack of personnel actually trained to operate the measuring equipment, and that isn't good news to anybody.

Daniel

Training isn't necessary for a real engineer. Give them a device and they can figure it out. If they can't, they're not an engineer. ::)
Interpreting readings is not for those who don't know what is involved and/or haven't built radios and transmitters.
I'm thinking the FCC has lost its mind if it can issue citations which cannot be mathematically explained.

Back in school we were given problems to figure out spurious/intermod/image responses. This is NOT high level math, it is arithmetic, common sense, and using your brain.

I'm just trying to learn about this stuff and it seems that the Fry posts are a lot more interesting than the shill posts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom