• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Sailor Moon" US Syndication - for Week of September 11 - 17, 1995

I remeber Pokemon was in syndication first then Kids WB started airing it in the afternoon. Back home when I was in Kansas City it aired on KSMO WB62 around 6:30 or 7am. Now it airs on Cartoon Network and Boomerang

TexasTom said:
wdb2003 said:
Fox only signed a 4 year contract deal with 4kids. Fox Kids somewhat contined but on ABC Family in the mornings. Many of the Fox affilates started to hate the Fox Kids block from what I heard. Their court shows, talk shows, expanison of evening news and sitcoms got more viewers vs. Bobby World and Power Rangers.

It was about more than ratings -- it was about the ability to sell advertising during the kids block. The problem was that as most childrens' TV advertising moved to cable, local stations were unable to sell their local breaks. And that meant that there was no money in carrying the kids block.

Aside from that, there were the same demographic issues that caused major market "big three" network affiliates to get out of the weekday kids' TV business back in the seventies -- which is that kids shows make a poor lead in to local news, since kids mostly don't want to watch the news. After Fox switched affiliates in many major markets in the mid-nineties, it ended up with a bunch of stations that had established news departmens...and no desire to lead into their newscasts with cartoons or "Power Rangers". And even some of the legacy Fox affiliates had started adding newscasts -- and once they started running morning and early evening newscasts, those stations also wanted to get out of the kids' TV business.

Very true I moved to Kansas City in 97 and I notice Fox Kids was on KSMO back then it was UPN 62 before the WB UPN switch The WB was on KCWB 29. And Rikki Lake was on WDAF Fox 4. I was like WTF??? I was use to watching Fox Kids on KTTV in Los Angeles. Power Rangers was usually the last show to air on the kids block. If I remeber KTTV aired kids programming from 2pm to 5:30pm. In 94 and 95 VR Troopers aired in the afternoon at 5pm. Which was syndicated not apart of the Fox Kids block. Back in Kansas City around 97 after Fox Kids KSMO aired the Marvel Superhero blcok which was Xmen. I also heard in the fall 2001 Fox Kids moved from KTTV to KCOP. KCOP hasnt aired afternoon cartoons in years. Normally in the mornings. But your right. When Beaksman World was in syndication a few years back I didnt see any childrens commericals. Mostly local ads or a public service announcement or a tv show promo mostly a sitcom. Its amazing how local affliates have relied on informericals to fill programming. Which would explain why Fox stop airing childrens programming after the 4kids contract ended. 2 hours of informericals=$$$$ for the network

wdb2003 said:
TexasTom said:
wdb2003 said:
Fox only signed a 4 year contract deal with 4kids. Fox Kids somewhat contined but on ABC Family in the mornings. Many of the Fox affilates started to hate the Fox Kids block from what I heard. Their court shows, talk shows, expanison of evening news and sitcoms got more viewers vs. Bobby World and Power Rangers.

It was about more than ratings -- it was about the ability to sell advertising during the kids block. The problem was that as most childrens' TV advertising moved to cable, local stations were unable to sell their local breaks. And that meant that there was no money in carrying the kids block.

Aside from that, there were the same demographic issues that caused major market "big three" network affiliates to get out of the weekday kids' TV business back in the seventies -- which is that kids shows make a poor lead in to local news, since kids mostly don't want to watch the news. After Fox switched affiliates in many major markets in the mid-nineties, it ended up with a bunch of stations that had established news departmens...and no desire to lead into their newscasts with cartoons or "Power Rangers". And even some of the legacy Fox affiliates had started adding newscasts -- and once they started running morning and early evening newscasts, those stations also wanted to get out of the kids' TV business.

Very true I moved to Kansas City in 97 and I notice Fox Kids was on KSMO back then it was UPN 62 before the WB UPN switch The WB was on KCWB 29. And Rikki Lake was on WDAF Fox 4. I was like WTF??? I was use to watching Fox Kids on KTTV in Los Angeles. Power Rangers was usually the last show to air on the kids block. If I remeber KTTV aired kids programming from 2pm to 5:30pm. In 94 and 95 VR Troopers aired in the afternoon at 5pm. Which was syndicated not apart of the Fox Kids block. Back in Kansas City around 97 after Fox Kids KSMO aired the Marvel Superhero blcok which was Xmen. I also heard in the fall 2001 Fox Kids moved from KTTV to KCOP. KCOP hasnt aired afternoon cartoons in years. Normally in the mornings. But your right. When Beaksman World was in syndication a few years back I didnt see any childrens commericals. Mostly local ads or a public service announcement or a tv show promo mostly a sitcom. Its amazing how local affliates have relied on informericals to fill programming. Which would explain why Fox stop airing childrens programming after the 4kids contract ended. 2 hours of informericals=$$$$ for the network

E/I mandates are the only things keeping some kids shows on broadcast TV.

I remember Pokemon on Fox 18 in the Quad Cities -- in syndication AND on Kids' WB!

KLJB also aired Tama And Friends.

Anyway, here are some ideas for 4Kids:
1. Either stick with TheCW4Kids or Toonzai (It's kinda absurd to go with both)
2. Remove the EI shows from Toonzai and just have stations air a 3 hour block each week (Of course, Magi-nation is also on Cookie Jar Toons now)
3. I remember 4Kids localizing 4Kids TV show promos for local stations...Do they do that for CW stations?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom