• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sad news for KFXM.

Based on the Spring Akron numbers, the station is 14th in 25-544, it's strongest demo. 22nd in 12+. It does about 65% better in men than women, too. It is very bobbly in the 12+ numbers, having gone as high as 1.9 in Fall of 2020 and as low as 0.5 in Fall of 2021. In real numbers, that's a cume iv about 22,000 and AQH persons of 800.

Of course, home-to-Akron stations only get 35% of local listening, with most going to Cleveland stations and some to Canton ones.
The " 3 times as many listeners" where probably about 10-15 years ago, maybe more. And I took it with a grain of salt that they had more listeners than WMJI. 680 watts vs. 16,000, I know who's winning that battle. I was up for a job there but I didn't get it. But the guy they did hire...I wish I had his set of pipes! I think he had his own personal reverb in his throat and when he spoke, I bet the transistors started glowing! But I do know they had a LOT of listeners, they mentioned the business I run now [involving movies] and the next week or so I got a flock of new people showing up , with their Sunday Oldies Jukebox static stickers plastered on the inside of their windows. I no longer have access to the numbers [everybody I knew in the business are either dead, RIFfed, or flat out got out of the business.] I've lost touch with many of the ones I used to work with....as usual, life intervenes and they move out of the area, find new jobs/interests, get married, etc.

I no longer have access to the numbers [everybody I knew in the business are either dead, RIFfed, or flat out got out of the business.] I've lost touch with many of the ones I used to work with....as usual, life intervenes and they move out of the area, find new jobs/interests, get married, etc.
That is what Facebook and other social media apps are for.

I spent an afternoon some years ago thinking of all the people I really like and love as individuals and started looking for the ones I had lost contact with. Now I have a collection of renewed friendships in places like Puerto Rico, Miami, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Mexico, Argentina and many more as well as from school days in Ohio and Arizona and even former neighbors from SoCal and the like.

Every few years, I go through my memories and look for people who might not have been on social media before and I always find a few.

In one case, a DJ I hired in 1965 showed up on Facebook, where he is now doing a morning show with his daughter on a big FM network. We got back in contact, and every so often I am up at 3 AM to do a bit with him about songs from "way back then" and traffic on familiar main streets and little comparisons of high school in that market then and what his daughter's kids are going through in the same city now!

That is what Facebook and other social media apps are for.

Most of the people I knew are of the age [probably about 5-10 years older then I am] that they don't use Social Media Apps [a few do and I have reconnected with them after several decades] a few remember me, a lot didn't since I was only there for a few months and the station was failing and everyone was in an "abandon ship, every man for himself" mode. Since I USED to be an avid DXer [What's the point anymore since most stations are running the same syndicated crap?] I actually called some of them....I remember a couple of them after playing a Paul Davis song wondering if he was still alive [after 2008, when he died] and they were from some station in NC or SC, can't remember exactly, and it blew their minds that I called them and I was listening to them from Ohio. And same for a DJ late one night back in the early 80s from WTMJ that sounded like he was bored and wondered how far away was that anyone was listening to him. I called and apparently I was the only one that had called. I ended up talking with him for a couple of hours. I was actually trying to pick up WSUN out of Saint Petersburg, which is what I used to listen to growing up there along with WLCY, and since WTMJ/WSUN were both on 620 they were fading in and out over each other.

Last edited:
Isn't it about time that this thread get retired??????
I guess it is open until someone finds out the status of the owner and the station

I will call Chris today.
Otherwise, we'll close this thread and it can be started as a new one once we have an update or resolution.

As a non-Facebook user, it's not easy to find info on the platform. But on KFXM's facebook page, a couple of months ago I found a reference from around July 1 saying that he had had some sort of medical problem and was resting comfortably.
the site at Dan Feely Netware Consulting is working, but some of the links that functioned a month or so ago now only link to the company that hosts the page.

Correction. The KFXM link I provided above goes to the hosting site now. My error. Oh, how I love caching pages. (Not.) Apologies.

As a non-Facebook user, it's not easy to find info on the platform. But on KFXM's facebook page, a couple of months ago I found a reference from around July 1 saying that he had had some sort of medical problem and was resting comfortably.
the site at Dan Feely Netware Consulting is working, but some of the links that functioned a month or so ago now only link to the company that hosts the page.

Someone posted there that CC was in the hospital a couple weeks ago and that KFXM was off the air. I don't know if that's permanent or not and hope CC is on the road to recovery. I really loved that station, and for now am listening to other oldies stations like Deep Oldies on TuneIn.

Plugging my own Internet oldies station would probably be against board rules, so I won't do it unless I know it's okay. But there are many dedicated Internet broadcasters with a wide range of offerings, from only established hits to mostly songs that never made it, and everywhere in between.
Of course I wish Chris Compton the best and admire his 18-year time on the Net and on the air in Lancaster. But I'd also urge you: don't be afraid to examine what's out there. Relatively speaking, many of us spend obscene amounts of money on licensing to entertain a small number of listeners. The main reason is that most people don't explore their options.
I do hope KFXM returns, but even more so, I wish the best for its owner.
Incidentally, I first heard Chris Compton promoted on KBMI during a 1969 visit to Las Vegas, just before 1400 AM there became the "Beautiful Music Island."

Of course I wish Chris Compton the best and admire his 18-year time on the Net and on the air in Lancaster. But I'd also urge you: don't be afraid to examine what's out there. Relatively speaking, many of us spend obscene amounts of money on licensing to entertain a small number of listeners. The main reason is that most people don't explore their options.
I do hope KFXM returns, but even more so, I wish the best for its owner.
Incidentally, I first heard Chris Compton promoted on KBMI during a 1969 visit to Las Vegas, just before 1400 AM there became the "Beautiful Music Island."
I do remember WDBN in Medina, OH. branding themselves as "The Quiet Island". I wondered how many other Easy Listening/Beautiful Music stations had some form of ID incorporating "Island" into their branding. Found this online:
On Thursday, February 26, 1981, a trademark application was filed for THE QUIET ISLAND with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The USPTO has given the THE QUIET ISLAND trademark a serial number of 73298904. The federal status of this trademark filing is CANCELLED - SECTION 8 as of Saturday, December 7, 2002. This trademark is owned by WDBN, Inc.. The THE QUIET ISLAND trademark is filed in the Communication Services category with the following description:

Radio Broadcasting Services

So, I'm guessing no other station could have called themselves "The Quiet Island" w/o having to pay WDBN to use it. Maybe the could have gotten away with The Island of Quiet or some such nonsense. WDBN began branding themselves as "The Quiet Island" in August of 1970 , about the same time I moved here [Ohio] .And, as an aside, I've heard that it was the first COMMERCIAL station in the nation to broadcast in stereo.
I wonder why they took so long to copyright "The Quiet Island". It was only 7 short years later they were sold and became WQMX and switched to a country format.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom