• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

S.A. 6+ PPM JUNE NUMBERS

Nothing crazy or seismic to see here... KONO rebounds to an (8.9), Q 1019 gets some of its office habitual listening back at a 7 share, KJ and Y100 are battling it out... KISS and its sister Eagle 1067 are dominating. JACK FM swings up nicely and Latino Hits 1045 continues downward for the 4th book in a row (talent or rotation changes?)

VIBE 1075 carried itself nicely to a (4.2) share leaving its sister KBBT far behind in the low 3s. Where is VIBE taking listeners from: Magic 1053, Y100 or its own family of KMYO and KBBT?

KROM and Norteno 1041 trade places and Tejano 957/1033 is steady... Me thinks the Classic County format has plenty of room to grow but KKYX (1.1) isnt quite cutting it at 680AM or the 104.9 translator which is a fairly decent signal.

KROM and Norteno 1041 trade places and Tejano 957/1033 is steady... Me thinks the Classic County format has plenty of room to grow but KKYX (1.1) isnt quite cutting it at 680AM or the 104.9 translator which is a fairly decent signal.
I'm not sure SA has the current demographics that fit well with that format. It's not going to be put on a full-market FM, and it's hard to think any rimshot or other operator would really be able to do much than Cox is doing.

As for the the 104.9 FM translator, I totally agree with you. It's very decent. On paper the TotA translators like 107.1 should be much better, but in the real world 104.9 is the best covering translator in the market (and it is Cox so you know they are following the ERP on the license). The worst is CSN's 106.3 which has a poor signal even close to the tower and suffers constant interference from co-channel KMLR.

If Univision wanted to shake the market up, it would flip KMYO to "CoYOte Country" similar to what it used to offer in Albuquerque. KKYX fiddles in the early 80's a bunch and The Bull/iHeart are not doing much with KRPT... a medium-paced delivery format staying in 1988-2001 country hits would work the market well. 95.1 covers a nice chunk and it would work well on an underperforming Latino Mix format.

If Univision wanted to shake the market up, it would flip KMYO to "CoYOte Country" similar to what it used to offer in Albuquerque.
Which never made any money at all.

Nothing crazy or seismic to see here... KONO rebounds to an (8.9), Q 1019 gets some of its office habitual listening back at a 7 share, KJ and Y100 are battling it out... KISS and its sister Eagle 1067 are dominating. JACK FM swings up nicely and Latino Hits 1045 continues downward for the 4th book in a row (talent or rotation changes?)

VIBE 1075 carried itself nicely to a (4.2) share leaving its sister KBBT far behind in the low 3s. Where is VIBE taking listeners from: Magic 1053, Y100 or its own family of KMYO and KBBT?

I'm not surprised by the steady decline of Latino 104.5. I know Bad Bunny's music is popular, but 104.5 has his music on overdrive.

As for Vibe, I definitely believe some of those listeners came from Magic 105.3. With the exception of Timber by Pitbull, Magic hasn't updated their Throwbacks in almost a year.

So how's KTFM doing with the Sports format?
The tweet is from 06/09/23 from Michael Jimenez Twitter:
Just got laid off from San Antonio Sports Star.
"Entire midday show eliminated for what I’m told is a financial move."

Imagine that. Perhaps, this is why Iheartradio never moved the format to a stronger signal. Especially, when the Spurs were on fire.

Last edited:
I did listen to the Spurs on WOAI in high school but that was over 15 years ago when streaming wasn't that big. Should have just watched it on TV but I wasn't always home.
I liked it for a while when WOAI was on 105.7 in 2012, I could hear the Spurs on FM (even if it was mono it still sounded better than AM). But that didn't last.

I remember Ticket 760 filed for 93.7 in one of the AM translator windows, but lost their CP due to not getting on-air in time...
This is iHeartRadio, I'd expect them to be one of the 1st to be able to get a tower crew and put a translator up, but apparently not.

KKYX is an amazing contradiction of beautiful audio on a weak 104.9 and horribly squashed audio on an extremely powerful 680. they could be so much better, even with the small play list. I think the 104.9 translator is on a medium sized office building over on Datapoint Dr. I cannot receive it inside the house, and it's marginal in the car. I'm not out of town, but near Fort Sam. As mentioned in another topic here, their sister KONO 860 has marvelous AM audio. Wonder why the difference?

The Tejano 95.7/103.3 combo has very nice audio, comparable to KKYX 104.9. Its just like a CD to my ears. Well, David said my hearing is faulty, so who knows?:cool: I just know that for me, music without dynamics is not pleasant to listen to for more than a few minutes.

KXTJ-LP has really squashed up audio, but it's an LPFM so that makes a bit of sense.
KPPC-LP, on the same frequency 96.9, has slightly better audio but is still kind of squashed.
KEPJ-LP 96.5 and WXEP-LP 101.5 sounded good last I heard them, but not sure if they're still on...
KHJS-LP 99.1 sounded good too, but KHJS-LP was mono audio with a stereo transmitter and they may have not been on in a while either.
When KIEI-LP 101.5 was last on it was compressed like KPPC-LP is and it had a low quality internet feed. KIEI-LP is in limbo right now with a pending application to move towers that still hasn't been acted upon in a year. I actually think I know why KIEI-LP isn't getting granted, they have the height at -318.25 m which needs to be fixed first! https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=ki...=&lmspl=&party_type=LICEN&latd=&lond=&lang=en

The worst audio? 93.7 K229BJ, which had a loud buzzing sound with it's over-the-air 89.7 broadcast that sounded like it couldn't tune 89.7 in properly half the time.

Last edited:
KKYX is an amazing contradiction of beautiful audio on a weak 104.9 and horribly squashed audio on an extremely powerful 680. they could be so much better, even with the small play list. I think the 104.9 translator is on a medium sized office building over on Datapoint Dr. I cannot receive it inside the house, and it's marginal in the car. I'm not out of town, but near Fort Sam. As mentioned in another topic here, their sister KONO 860 has marvelous AM audio. Wonder why the difference?
Why isn't that 104.9 on a tower then? Cox should have money to put it on one and make it travel further... See https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=87144
I can't get the height, FCCData has a bug and shows 0 for translators' height above average terrain (HAAT) but it's 61 m off the ground itself.

As for AM quality, Call 1310 KAHL sounded good when I heard it last but I also was told they have an engineer with lots of experience. Some of the KAHL FM translators seem to have some digital artifacts in the sound, though 105.9 sounded better, but hey I won't complain about good quality audio on 105.9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom