• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumor Mill Reports Big Changes This Week

I think they'll decide what it is over time. If current music eventually gets better, which I doubt, they could easily shift back to regular CHR if they wanted.
Or, as "Top 40" has done in the past, the format will adapt to changing tastes and content.

World-wide, we are in a rather rhythmic era. Stations that moved away from that trend, like Y-100 in Miami, have seem relatively poor ratings. And stations that have been considered Churban or rhythmic CHR seem to really be the mainstream.

Of course, the effect of large Black and Hispanic populations in some markets has influenced this as well. The higher percentage of ethnic groups in 18-34 and teens is a significant influence, too.

I think the way that Z100 has broadened its library to include 90s gold makes it possible to combine CHR with 90s throwbacks. But a format is more than the music. The presentation, which means the DJs and the imaging, will have a lot to say about the direction of the station, and that really hasn't been established yet. They have to determine who the target is, and then go about making a radio station that appeals to that target.

With FM100 going away, iHeart isn’t about to touch 101.9 any time soon. They have next to no competition soon for new pop music other than the Flinn translators and the limited new music played on WRVR, and I’m skeptical anyone else will be rushing to fill a void left by FM100.
Their ratings are below 2.0 consistantly. If anything move it to a stronger frequency. Maybe rebrand it as Hits.

umm It wil be on 105.9 FM since 104.3 Jams is going stong and B96 is going on low ratings due to high rates to WKSC-FM and if WCPT may need one FM simulcast so 92.7 WCPY will be WCPT Simulcast and the callsigns will be WCPT-FM and PolskiFM will be on it's HD2 Subchannel and it's translator on 96.7 W244BQ
Absolutely none of that is happening or will happen.

umm It wil be on 105.9 FM since 104.3 Jams is going stong and B96 is going on low ratings due to high rates to WKSC-FM and if WCPT may need one FM simulcast so 92.7 WCPY will be WCPT Simulcast and the callsigns will be WCPT-FM and PolskiFM will be on it's HD2 Subchannel and it's translator on 96.7 W244BQ
You realize that 105.9 is one of the highest billing stations in the market? 104.3 bills lower than both 96.3 and 105.9.

And people like me. My go-to late-night station is CFZM 740 Toronto.

But in the Boston area at night, those inside the I-95/Massachusetts Route 128 loop get little WJIB on 740 at night (despite just 5 watts nighttime power).

Just outside that highway (I live four miles southwest of I-95/Massachusetts 128 in.Norwood, Massachusetts), I find that if I turn my AM radio at night one way, I get WJIB and the other way, I get CFZM.

Absolutely none of that is happening or will happen.
They definitely won't blow up 105.9 news is a significant money maker . However I still have doubts they will blow up 104.3 it bills well and they run it super cheap . It also pairs well with 96.3 and now that 96.3 is a quasi Rhythmic CHR leaning Top 40 they flank one another. As well as they obviously think it's doing something right . About two years ago Audacy gave each of their music stations in Chicago a commercial free day . XRT has Wednesday B96 had Tuesday 104.3 Friday . I forget what day US 99 has or had, but my point is (even though it bills well) they pulled B96s commercial free day months ago . Meantime 104.3 still has theirs . If your getting ready to blow up a signal why not make every nickel you can until then . I really don't think they will blow it up. Like two years ago they took the dance music off 96.3 hd2 in favor of a gay music channel why not just put the score on there . If the Audacy execs were smart and please no one say they should have just kept K-Hits no they shouldn't have that format has been dead for a long time . They should have kept B96 throwbacks and made 104.3 CHR 104.3 NOW! or something to that nature and they wouldn't be in the middle of a identity crisis right now .

Or, as "Top 40" has done in the past, the format will adapt to changing tastes and content.

World-wide, we are in a rather rhythmic era. Stations that moved away from that trend, like Y-100 in Miami, have seem relatively poor ratings. And stations that have been considered Churban or rhythmic CHR seem to really be the mainstream.

Of course, the effect of large Black and Hispanic populations in some markets has influenced this as well. The higher percentage of ethnic groups in 18-34 and teens is a significant influence, too.

The Urban stations that focus on modern Hip-Hop in Chicago are getting pretty bad ratings lately compared to before, particularly Power 92 which focuses on Hip-Hop. I think most of the people that listen to Hip-Hop are mostly streaming it these days. That said, it does pretty well in Rockford. WYRB is more Rhythmic CHR than Urban though.

On the adult side of Urban & Rhythmic, WVAZ has always performed pretty good and still is. They program it very well.

You could call it that, but have never heard that phrase.
That does not mean that MarkW is not accurate in giving the station a more precise format definition, based on the playlist, rotation frequency and presentation.

If the offerings for CHR start to improve, I predict B will move back in the mainstream CHR direction - same for other CHR’s. I’m not sure yet if CHR adding in older music is a permanent thing, or if it’s to help avoid burnout on the limited “hits” and the slow moving charts. Just very strange to see stations like 96.3, Z100, etc playing songs that are considered too old for Hot AC even.

Audacy and even CBS would have put 670 on FM if they felt a need to or saw a benefit of basically losing a station in the cluster. They’ve had opportunities to simulcast 670 with 104.3 before but went with other formats on FM in Chicago when they were already migrating other sports talkers in other markets to FM 15 years ago. I believe it would have happened by now if it was going to.

FWIW, B96’s Wiki page now has them as a rhythmic/gold-leaning Top 40. A few days ago they were categorized as rhythmic AC.
Again: wiki is inaccurate in over 80% of its station profiles. It's the last place to look for format descriptions as it is generally more likely to have been edited by listeners than by the station itself.

Again: wiki is inaccurate in over 80% of its station profiles. It's the last place to look for format descriptions as it is generally more likely to have been edited by listeners than by the station itself.

Hence why I said “FWIW”. This is an ongoing debate in the industry as well as with their listeners.

The station itself has a conflict of interest, so believe it or not, Wikipedia would rather they not edit it.

A listener can find a reliable source stating what the change was, if there is one.

That just sounds like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. A CHR 104.3 would likely have had the same difficulties as CHR 96.3.
Well now they have a quasi Rhythmic CHR and a Rhythmic AC I guess they wanted to do the same thing like Hubbard Mix/She . The rumors are rumors they are not flipping 104.3. My point was if they would have done CHR on 104.3 back when they flipped KHits (and don't say that was a legeand brand no it wasn't) ,they wouldn't have been so hesitant to ditch CHR because it wouldn't have been attached to such a legendary brand like B96. It also would have been easier to implement as now they don't want to blow up a decent radio station ran on the cheap (104.3) . That bills well and is stealing cash from IHearts urban stations so that idea is obviously done now but it was done back in the KHits era before Jams was even thought about it wouldn't be as tough of a decision to blow up a profitable station is my point .

iHM missed its window of opportunity in Memphis.

WHBQ just flipped to Adult CHR.

Back
Top Bottom