• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock929Boston twitter

Beasley Launches Boston's New ROCK 92.9

Calling it the "Next Generation of Classic Rock," Beasley Media Group has launched Boston's newest station, ROCK 92.9 which made its official debut today after the Dave andamp; Chuck the Freak Morning Show at 10:30am. Formerly Alt 92.9, the new core artists will include Guns andamp; Roses, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Def Leppard, … more

More...

Ozzy on now.
Now Van Halen.
Sounds good so far.

Did they change their call sign ?

Based on looking at their "The Next Generation of Classic Rock" logo I will guess mostly 80s/90s rock.

Last edited:
103.3 The Wolf if Alt 101.7 happens haha

It may not get great ratings, but 101.7 The Bull bills very well and it protects Kiss 108. You won't see a change there anytime soon. IMHO

I'd love to see Entercom do something with 103.3, but, same deal. It makes money despite poor ratings. In order to flip a station you have to guarantee you will continue to bill the same, plus more. When a station is billing 6 million a year, that's a lot of money to risk losing.

After the flip, 92.5 The River reached out to Alt 92.9 fans to give them a listen.

WERS might pick up listeners as well, although much of its playlist is far too deep and obscure to keep most people's fingers off the preset buttons for any length of time.

Interestingly, the reaction on the 92.9 Facebook page is surprisingly positive. Quite a few expressing relief that they'll be finally free of the saturation exposure of Imagine Dragons. The general tenor of the comments is that 100.7 is stale and that Boston needs a new take on classic rock.

I think WERS is the only station left playing Morrissey.

Rock 92.9 is still pushing the morning show.
See how that goes.

Music is OK.
Have not heard Steve Miller or Fleetwood Mac or Rolling Stones yet so that is good.

Even WROR needs to retire their 70s music.
Maybe this flip will force WZLX to modernize faster and leave the 70s behind.

I would like to hear
Yes- Love Will Find a Way.
The Firm - Satisfaction Guaranteed

Neither is obscure and both should be in the mix.

I listened for about 15 minutes. I heard Pearl Jam and the jock came on and with Queen going on underneath (Another One Bites The Dust)... Vocals start, and he keeps talking. Not A good start. Than a couple of 70's tracks.

My question is... If you are going to keep playing 70's tracks, what makes a station "New Generation"? I would have thought 80's and 90's exclusively, with some 00's thrown in would be more "New Generation".

Interestingly, the reaction on the 92.9 Facebook page is surprisingly positive. Quite a few expressing relief that they'll be finally free of the saturation exposure of Imagine Dragons. The general tenor of the comments is that 100.7 is stale and that Boston needs a new take on classic rock.

The reaction seems positive because Beasley has been deleting negative posts. Generally angry-faces have dominated.

This station now arguably sounds older than WROR. We now have four stations playing similar music and a large format hole.

The reaction seems positive because Beasley has been deleting negative posts. Generally angry-faces have dominated.

This station now arguably sounds older than WROR. We now have four stations playing similar music and a large format hole.

I wouldn't call the format hole large. The audience for alt is small and advertisers tend to pigeonhole alt fans into the "slacker living in the basement holding down a part-time job at Walmart" stereotype, too cynical and money-challenged to bother to try to sell anything to.

I wouldn't call the format hole large. The audience for alt is small and advertisers tend to pigeonhole alt fans into the "slacker living in the basement holding down a part-time job at Walmart" stereotype, too cynical and money-challenged to bother to try to sell anything to.

As someone who advertises, I'd consider the new format as one that appeals to exactly who you describe, not the former.

Well, a whole day has gone by without Entercom switching one of their Boston stations to ALT. I'm getting discouraged

Last edited:
What all of you will learn soon is "New Generation Classic Rock" is nothing more than a bunch of overplayed safe crap that's been widely available on any number of stations for years.

In a vein effort to sound younger, every third or fourth song will be from the 90's. Probably no more than 15 - 20 artists from that era will be played. True classic rock fans will be disappointed by the lack of 70's rock, lack of deep tracks, and having to endure Linkin Park, Bush and Pearl Jam.

Listeners in their 30s and early 40s will be disappointed by the overabundance of 80's butt rock and thin supply of 90's & early 00's tracks.

This station is nothing more than a carbon copy of 98.7 The Shark in Tampa - also owned by Beasley. My guess is the same person or the same couple people are making the music decisions for both stations.

I do think Entercom will react. The only question is - which station do they blow up? Amp Radio 103.3 or WAAF?

Flipping Alt 92.9 just as the station was starting to build ratings momentum was STUPID!!! Music wise, the station has sounded terrific during the past few months. This change would've made much more sense a year ago, when WBOS's ratings were much worse and the playlist & stationality were ultra stale. Low 3's warrant a format change...seriously?!?! The station just came off its best ratings survey period in YEARS.

Long term, this station will probably fetch 6+ beauty pageant numbers in the mid 2's and will trail The Sports Hub, WEEI and WZLX by wide margins in Men 25-54.

This *does* seem to be the latest flavor of the moment format. This is the fourth or fifth station in a large or major market to flip to it since Christmas. Rock 100.5 in Atlanta has been programming this type of format - albeit with a higher percentage of 90's songs than the other adherents - for a couple of years.

Ironically, Beasley's 96 K-Rock in Ft. Myers once had a similar format, but wound up transitioning to Active Rock due to poor ratings!!!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom