• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP Q107 Calgary

Looks like Corus Calgary has chosen to move their AM News/talker to FM, replacing Rock station Q 107.
What is going to happen with the AM station now?
Will it be sold or shut down?

qr.jpg

Sad to see a classic rock radio station go (along with Tarzan Dan who is one of the best in the business). I’m not in the Calgary market, therefore I really don’t know if this leaves a format hole, but I’m sure that Stingray Media’s XL will pick up some listeners. I am always a fan of the fan of the stingray approach to classic hits, so at least Calgary listeners have something else.

I wonder if a move like this will ever happen in Vancouver. CKNW 980 sounds pretty rough in some areas with their class B signal coming from the fringe of the market. Their other AM, 730, sounds far better and has a transmitter in a more favourable location.

Typical of the Canadian conglomerates to copy the worst trends from their U.S. counterparts.
The rules just changed. It's still a 4 max ownership, but now a radio business can own 3 FM and one AM instead of two and two.
It will be interesting to see what happens across Canada.
What changes and where.

Typical of the Canadian conglomerates to copy the worst trends from their U.S. counterparts.
On the other hand, the overall professionalism of Canadian stations is greater.

We have a number of neighbors from Calgary, Lethbridge and Winipeg during the September to April period, and they comment on how the local stations sound amateur. Even though the Palm Springs market has far more stations than any of the three Canadian ones I mentioned, they don't interpret variety of formats as being better than better presentations.

I think part of the issue is that our local stations here have a lot of local business ads, many with the owner's voice being part of them. Overall, the spots are difficult to listen to, with far to much price-and-item stuff mixed with outlandish "we are the best" claims.

Few PDs today have any influence or authority over the commercials, and it shows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom