• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP Aretha Franklin (1942-2018)

I truly wonder how many radio stations actually played Aretha Franklin music, in tribute today. And I'm not talking one song per hour, I mean a whole special dedicated to her timeless music, perhaps one hour long, chronologically featuring her big hits from the 1960's thru the 80's. Unfortunately, in today's radio world, I see far few stations doing the right thing anymore, especially big artist tributes. You're talking about a legend here, not some one hit wonder.

I truly wonder how many radio stations actually played Aretha Franklin music, in tribute today. And I'm not talking one song per hour, I mean a whole special dedicated to her timeless music, perhaps one hour long, chronologically featuring her big hits from the 1960's thru the 80's. Unfortunately, in today's radio world, I see far few stations doing the right thing anymore, especially big artist tributes. You're talking about a legend here, not some one hit wonder.

Let's be realistic here.

Aretha Franklin was thought by many to be greatly talented and her hits prove her popularity. But most of those hits were in the later part of the 60's through the late 70's. A couple more were hits in the early 80's.

For many people today, including those under 45 or 50, she was a much-honored and well respected symbol of the previous generation. Her songs except for the anthem song "Respect" and the mid-80's "Freeway of Love" were not, until today, getting any play on classic hits songs... and even then it was only about a quarter of the classic hits panel stations that even played those, and in light rotations.

To expect a classic hits station to play non-stop Aretha is just not realistic. To honor a musical great, for sure. But not to make the station play an hour or more of songs it would not ordinarily, per audience feedback, play.

I'm sure some will read all kinds of hateful things into these statements, but the fact is that there is a place for a tribute and there is a way to do it. Properly done, even if some of the music is out of format, playing a song once an hour with an appropriate preface will be liked even by those who are not great fans of the artist but who respect achievements and talent.

Running a long "special" will only drive away regular listeners and do nothing to acquaint, gracefully, those less familiar with the songs, to her "sound".

Except for morning shows and some sports broadcasts, radio does not create "appointment" listening. That is TV, and even there it is fading with all the DVR and stream options. You do an immediate "special" (which seems to be your favorite radio word) and those who might have listened don't for the most part know about it, and the regular listeners will not find too many songs by one artist very appealing, whatever the reason.

Except on certain older-leaning Urban AC stations, what you suggest benefits nobody. And it's bad radio. It's not "the right thing".

Last edited:

Let's be realistic here.

Aretha Franklin was thought by many to be greatly talented and her hits prove her popularity. But most of those hits were in the later part of the 60's through the late 70's. A couple more were hits in the early 80's.

For many people today, including those under 45 or 50, she was a much-honored and well respected symbol of the previous generation. Her songs except for the anthem song "Respect" and the mid-80's "Freeway of Love" not getting any play on classic hits songs... and even then it was only about a quarter of the classic hits panel stations that even played those, and in light rotations.

To expect a classic hits station to play non-stop Aretha is just not realistic. To honor a musical great, for sure. But not to make the station play an hour or more of songs it would not ordinarily play due to audience feedback, no.

I'm sure some will read all kinds of hateful things into these statements, but the fact is that there is a place for a tribute and there is a way to do it. Properly done, even if some of the music is out of format, playing a song once an hour with an appropriate preface will be liked even by those who are not great fans of the artist but who respect achievements and talent.

Running a long "special" will only drive away regular listeners and do nothing to acquaint, gracefully, those less familiar with the songs, to her "sound".

Except for morning shows and some sports broadcasts, radio does not create "appointment" listening. That is TV, and even there it is fading with all the DVR and stream options. You do an immediate "special" (which seems to be your favorite radio word) and those who might have listened don't for the most part know about it, and the regular listeners will not find too many songs by one artist very appealing, whatever the reason.

Except on certain older-leaning Urban AC stations, what you suggest benefits nobody. And it's bad radio. It's not "the right thing".

Today, I heard something on the radio that I've never heard before and didn't think I ever would: I heard a 51 year-old song on a Mainstream CHR! I can't think of any parallel to this. I also understand that her songs are being downloaded at a frenetic pace by younger listeners! It occurs to me that Aretha has more in common with the current Top 40 than say, the Beatles or Rolling Stones.

Let's be realistic here.

For many people today, including those under 45 or 50, she was a much-honored and well respected symbol of the previous generation. Her songs except for the anthem song "Respect" and the mid-80's "Freeway of Love" were not, until today, getting any play on classic hits songs... and even then it was only about a quarter of the classic hits panel stations that even played those, and in light rotations.

To expect a classic hits station to play non-stop Aretha is just not realistic. To honor a musical great, for sure. But not to make the station play an hour or more of songs it would not ordinarily, per audience feedback, play.

I think that a station should just do the right thing and sacrifice a little time for a legendary singer. Obviously the ones who "tune out" because a station is "interrupting" a listener's normal routine, is selfish on their part. They don't have to listen if they don't want to, it's only one hour. And realizing that this is a tribute segment, they will return when it's over. But for those who loved her music and her contribution musically, they would far appreciate the special than not. People need to loosen up a little. A legend just passed, one hour won't kill them.

What will happen someday when Sir Paul or Sir Elton John pass? Mick Jagger, Madonna? Same thing.

I should have checked if that station in LA played "Freeway of Love", "Who's Zooming Who" or "I Knew You Were Waiting for Me". Right up their alley for 80's music. I'll assume they didn't.

Last edited:
What will happen someday when Sir Paul or Sir Elton John pass? Mick Jagger, Madonna? Same thing.

Did you hear any such specials when Michael Jackson or Prince died? Same thing

I think that a station should just do the right thing and sacrifice a little time for a legendary singer.

I remember well a lesson I learned when shopping for a car many years ago: it's a business. I was being encouraged to take a deal on the prior year's model at closeout pricing and the sales manager said, "we run a business here, not a museum. What will it take to get you in this car?"

I wanted a new model, and was not interested. Point one.
A business is indeed not a museum. Point two.

The right thing is doing what your listeners will appreciate and that also means not changing their perception of the station.

Obviously the ones who "tune out" because a station is "interrupting" a listener's normal routine, is selfish on their part.

Selfish? I am not fond of Andy Warhol, so if I go to the MOMA I skip those pieces. I am not in art school so I don't have to be taught to appreciate something that is unappealing. Not everyone likes Aretha Franklin songs, either. One thing is to play some of the greatest songs in regular programming with a bit of information, another is to change format.

They don't have to listen if they don't want to, it's only one hour.

It is also about fulfilling listener expectations for the brand. If I go to the gas station and they are only selling eggs, I will stay away from that gas station... at least for a while.

And realizing that this is a tribute segment, they will return when it's over.

Most people don't go through analytical thinking about entertainment options. If what they hear is not appealing, they find something that is. And they have a negative feeling about the station that let them down.

But for those who loved her music and her contribution musically, they would far appreciate the special than not. People need to loosen up a little. A legend just passed, one hour won't kill them.

Depending on the age of the listeners, that point is quite possibly false. A certain group will like it, but most won't. But tossing in some songs all day is a much better way of doing a tribute than a specialty show.

Depends on the format and the artist. And again, the better way is to pepper songs into regular programming, particularly if some interesting facts and anecdotes can be added to the presentation of the songs.

I should have checked if that station in LA played "Freeway of Love", "Who's Zooming Who" or "I Knew You Were Waiting for Me". Right up their alley for 80's music. I'll assume they didn't.[/QUOTE]

One song from 1987 was played yesterday on KRTH.

Last edited:
Might want to re adjust the quotes in your response, but I get the picture David. I guess we'll just leave it up to the LPFM's and lonely AM's out there to tweak their rotation a tad to accommodate an event like this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom