• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP: 103.3 KJOJ-FM Freeport 1985-2022

Amazing that Estrella Media pretty much blew off any response to the FCC for the station being off the air the past 18 months. They just don’t care. This is one of the reasons I have the feeling they are not committed to their radio division and might sell it in the near future.

I could see Univision being interested in KQQK as the Nortena format does well. At the same time I’m sure they would like La Raza (KTJM) to disappear.

Attachments

• 2022-06-22_KJOJ-FM_-_Cancellation_Letter.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
BTW when you go to the current Google Earth image of the KJOJ transmitter site, you can see the collapsed tower: https://www.google.com/maps/place/28°48'57.9%22N+95°36'03.8%22W/@28.8162827,-95.6012366,67m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x1d4e86cbc380bd4d!8m2!3d28.816089!4d-95.601062?hl=en

Amazing that Estrella Media pretty much blew off any response to the FCC for the station being off the air the past 18 months. They just don’t care.
I think they just saw it wasn't worth their trouble. Rebuilding would be expensive and any modification just to revive KJOJ wouldn't be worth their time/money/effort.

Keep in mind that 102.5 KMKS in Bay City recently sold for 100k. KJOJ definitely needed more than that just to be brought back to life.
I could see Univision being interested in KQQK as the Nortena format does well. At the same time I’m sure they would like La Raza (KTJM) to disappear.
In light of recent events, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to unload their own radio division. The TelevisaUnivision merger probably changed the vision of the company. IIRC, Televisa didn't own a single radio station in Mexico.

So will The FCC auction the station and some religious group will get it?

what about license deleted and call sign deleted arent clear enough?

They could re introduce the allocation at auction the allocation in the future, if someone doesnt file upgrades to prevent it

So will The FCC auction the station and some religious group will get it?
Not the station itself, no. But the allocation perhaps. Highest bidder will probably get it like the highest bidder got 104.1 near Dallas that was auctioned off last year. Apparently the 104.1 used to be a real station that was deleted like KJOJ was.

I'm wondering does Estrella have the other station on the air? The one which almost died along with KJOJ.

Amazing. This was a 100,000 watt FM station, 85 miles from the largest city in Texas.
I don't think their 65 dBu signal covered 500,000 people, much less a million. I could be wrong though on that one.

But I'm not sure if there are a lot of first-gen Mexicans within the coverage area of the late KJOJ, either.

I'm wondering does Estrella have the other station on the air? The one which almost died along with KJOJ.
KEYH 850 is supposedly up for sale, but I have not heard anything out of the low power temporary site in months, though the signal might be so poor that it doesn’t make it to my NW Harris County location. They just received an extension of the STA a few days ago.
I don't think their 65 dBu signal covered 500,000 people, much less a million. I could be wrong though on that one.
The KJOJ primary signal missed all of Houston metro. It was pretty much useless for any serious audience coverage. I do recall a few times years ago when tropo would kick up and the signal would blast into northwest Harris County like a Missouri City stick. But for the most part it could be considered an exurban station.

There are probably some religious broadcasters who would have bought KJOJ on the cheap if the tower was still standing.

Wasn't 103.3 a simulmcast of 98.5 that programmed R&B music. I think it was Kiss 98.5, The Best of the Hits and Dusties.

Wasn't 103.3 a simulmcast of 98.5 that programmed R&B music. I think it was Kiss 98.5, The Best of the Hits and Dusties.
The KJOJ 103.3 simulcast with 98.5 started in late 1995. It remained in place for the next 25 years until KJOJ’s demise. It began with “Smooth FM”, then the second incarnation of Kiss, then Jammin’ Oldies, followed by La Raza.

The KJOJ 103.3 simulcast with 98.5 started in late 1995. It remained in place for the next 25 years until KJOJ’s demise. It began with “Smooth FM”, then the second incarnation of Kiss, then Jammin’ Oldies, followed by La Raza.
Kiss 98.5 was my station when I was going to Sam Houston State.

The liner was....Kiss 98.5 The Best Variety of the Hits and Dusties.. I don't remember any of the air staff, but i think Jammin' Jay Lamont was on that station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom