• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Retired" Lee Rodgers of KSFO/KGO angry at former corporate employers

Even though Mr Rodgers, formerly of KSFO/KGO is retired, he sure seems to be angry and bitter when it comes to his former corporate employers. He said Disney was a company whose business plan was getting kids to nag their parents to spend money for example.

Did someone force him to work all those years at those stations? If he was so unhappy why didn't he buy into a station and show people how to run one?

http://radiorodgers.com/

MC said:
Did someone force him to work all those years at those stations? If he was so unhappy why didn't he buy into a station and show people how to run one?

Some people are too angry at the world to let go. Rodgers? Gosh, is that cretin still alive? I hadn't though about him in years.

Nothing surprising here. Though I never agreed with his politics, I always thought Lee Rodgers was an interesting and entertaining broadcaster, often very witty. But anger was his stock in trade. I think listeners assume that all these angry right wingers put on an act to pump up the audience numbers. While that may be true of some, I always took Rodgers' anger - and extreme politics - to be sincere.

Lkeller said:
Nothing surprising here. Though I never agreed with his politics, I always thought Lee Rodgers was an interesting and entertaining broadcaster, often very witty. But anger was his stock in trade. I think listeners assume that all these angry right wingers put on an act to pump up the audience numbers. While that may be true of some, I always took Rodgers' anger - and extreme politics - to be sincere.

Funny thing was that when he was a music DJ at WIND in Chicago (and doing talk at WCFL in their Bob-and-Betty-Sanders-led attempt to bring back 60s MOR radio around '82 or '83), I always found him a milquetoast. Since this was pre-Limbaugh, was he providing the stations what they wanted back then and doing what he wanted to do at KSFO?

Mark Jeffries said:
Lkeller said:

Funny thing was that when he was a music DJ at WIND in Chicago (and doing talk at WCFL in their Bob-and-Betty-Sanders-led attempt to bring back 60s MOR radio around '82 or '83), I always found him a milquetoast. Since this was pre-Limbaugh, was he providing the stations what they wanted back then and doing what he wanted to do at KSFO?

How can you tell if a music DJ is a "milquetoast?" I never heard Rodgers as a DJ, but I do know that some of these broadcasters don't discover their true potential until they become talk hosts - Limbaugh being the prime example. From what I've heard, Rushbo was a mediocre DJ at best.

I also took Rodgers as sincere because he could go on long angry tirades. They were interesting to listen to because he didn't seem to be reading from a pre-prepared script, but was amazingly articulate. I would not like to debate Rodgers when he was on a roll.

Some of the stronger tirades I heard him deliver were when he was angry at fellow conservatives for being stupid. He absolutely dispised survivalists, and liked to read portions of their generally incoherent manirestos, then tear them apart. I also recall him going on a rant about what a lousy candidate Dan Lungren was in the Governor's race for leting Gray Davis roll over him.

He made very few verbal blunders that is for sure, but he did seem to blow a gasket.

I remember the first caller of the night, who seemed to be faking some stereotypical "gay" speaking mannerisms ask him: "What do you and your fellow fascists think about the CONTRAS going down the toilet?" He then said something like he was going to "tear the 'precious' little leftest limb from limb..." The next day he wasn't there, I don't know if he was suspended or took the day off to cool down.

The occasional tirade probably did not hurt ratings. Still if you hate your employer, it doen't make for much of a life. Why waste the time doing the blog? unless he wants a comeback?

MC said:
The occasional tirade probably did not hurt ratings. Still if you hate your employer, it doen't make for much of a life. Why waste the time doing the blog? unless he wants a comeback?

That's the whole point. Some people run their lives on anger. They become bitter old people and nobody wants to be around them. Others pick up the pieces and move on to more interesting and exciting things. Heck, I've been wronged in my life, lots of times. Life has been unfair to me in many many ways, but I'd be miserable if I let it bother me.

Honestly, I hadn't through of Lee Rodgers in years. I went over to look at his web page. Jeez, he sure looks like a grump, don't he?

Right, if he had a successful radio career, why wouldn't he be sitting in a beach chair with a fancy drink and a big grin on his face. Spend a retirement being a sour-puss? He even mentions Jim Eason, another KGO curmudgeon dinosaur.

coppersmom said:
Jim Eason still has more pizzaz in his little toe...than most of us..in a radio lifetime.

I know nothing of Jim Eason personally, but I've always felt that he never took himself too seriously. I think that's important not only in being a talkshow host but in being a happy human as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom