• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Resurgence of Radio?

M

MickeyD

Being a technical guy I thought I would bounce this question that popped into my head a few days ago. There is a problem getting younger people to listen to the radio these days mainly because of other gadgets.

The Supreme Court will decide on the indecency issue this summer and as things stand now it looks like the court will rule against the FCC.

Do any of you think that there may be an insurgence in radio again if the court loosens the rules for radio (and TV). It could bring guys like Howard Stern back to OTA radio and others.

I can see this as a positive move for broadcast TV that has to compete with cable that has virtually no rules.

Any comments from the programming department?

I don't see how a possible loosening of indecency rules addresses the issue of younger people and new gadgets.

MickeyD said:
Do any of you think that there may be an insurgence in radio again if the court loosens the rules for radio (and TV). It could bring guys like Howard Stern back to OTA radio and others.

This part of your question could turn this thread into one more political/morality food-fight scuffle like so many current day conversations in the forum. I have memories of those days (very old memories. ;D ) ....those days when we were junior hi and we were discovering from our peers some of the secrets of life... things our parents weren't ready or weren't prepared to share with us. It's a very thrilling moment in the life of a youngster.

Fast forward a few years, and you get married and have children of your own, and suddenly what was a thrilling moment in your life becomes a chilling moment in the life of the young parent. You suddenly want control of the timetable and the setting in which your own children learn "the colorful and thrilling" aspects of life.

Our collection of community values have certainly changed through the years. But I suspect that your plan to bring RESURGENCE to radio could contribute equally to the DEATH of radio. How many parents would see to it that all new electronics in their household DID NOT contain a radio receiver as their perceived duty to protect their children? You would create some possibility of INSURGENCE in the market place.

TheBigA said:
I don't see how a possible loosening of indecency rules addresses the issue of younger people and new gadgets.

More Howard Stern types.

I am admittedly an "old fart" and not easily upset by the morality of the day, such as it is. But I draw the line at smut and IMHO that is exactly what people like Howard Stern are selling. I would hope that this type of useless garbage can be kept isolated.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
MickeyD said:

This part of your question could turn this thread into one more political/morality food-fight scuffle like so many current day conversations in the forum. I have memories of those days (very old memories. ;D ) ....those days when we were junior hi and we were discovering from our peers some of the secrets of life... things our parents weren't ready or weren't prepared to share with us. It's a very thrilling moment in the life of a youngster.

Fast forward a few years, and you get married and have children of your own, and suddenly what was a thrilling moment in your life becomes a chilling moment in the life of the young parent. You suddenly want control of the timetable and the setting in which your own children learn "the colorful and thrilling" aspects of life.

Our collection of community values have certainly changed through the years. But I suspect that your plan to bring RESURGENCE to radio could contribute equally to the DEATH of radio. How many parents would see to it that all new electronics in their household DID NOT contain a radio receiver as their perceived duty to protect their children? You would create some possibility of INSURGENCE in the market place.

I know this will help the OTA TV networks that have been kept in the "Ozzie and Harriet" mode for decades. They will have the ability to run more cable competitive programming. This was the topic of discussion decades ago that broadcast TV couldn't compete with cable. I don't know what it will or could be for radio, but it will not come from our generation, it will come from the younger generation. There are many young people still interested in working in radio, no idea why, but it will come from a member of that generation.

landtuna said:
I am admittedly an "old fart" and not easily upset by the morality of the day, such as it is. But I draw the line at smut and IMHO that is exactly what people like Howard Stern are selling. I would hope that this type of useless garbage can be kept isolated.

It should work the way it does today. Some people listen to one station and some listen to another station. All stations will not be the same after that.

MickeyD said:
TheBigA said:

More Howard Stern types.

Doesn't address the gadgets. I'm not throwing away my iPhone because some dope can now say poo poo on the radio. The issue is far bigger than content.

But we already went through that phase of Mancow, Bubba the Love Sponge, and Greaseman. Been there, done that.

MickeyD said:
landtuna said:

It should work the way it does today. Some people listen to one station and some listen to another station. All stations will not be the same after that.

Lowering the OTA radio bar is akin to allowing more strip clubs so that business improves. No thanks.

MickeyD said:

That's not the key to a resurgence. Radio is a one to many proposition, and the issue today is that people want a one-to-one model. Only a few people are capable of talking dirty and being really entertaining... all you have to do is look at how few comedians with blue acts are really very famous and successful.

Stern, while he enjoyed using a salty vocabulary, was not as dirty or obscene in content as his detractors thought. Most never listened, or they would have seen that he was simply entertaining. But there were few of his talent, even including TV. So opening the doors to cussing would bring out foul minds, not brilliance.

TheBigA said:
MickeyD said:
TheBigA said:

More Howard Stern types.

Doesn't address the gadgets. I'm not throwing away my iPhone because some dope can now say poo poo on the radio. The issue is far bigger than content.

But we already went through that phase of Mancow, Bubba the Love Sponge, and Greaseman. Been there, done that.

The difference is free vs pay. If you ever tune into some fo therap pirates they do pretty well getting younger listerners. AS I said, I don't expect an idea or new format to come from anyone in our generation. The first auto was called a Horseless Carriage and it looked like one. I don't expect old brains to coem up with a new concept.

DavidEduardo said:
MickeyD said:

That's not the key to a resurgence. Radio is a one to many proposition, and the issue today is that people want a one-to-one model. Only a few people are capable of talking dirty and being really entertaining... all you have to do is look at how few comedians with blue acts are really very famous and successful.

Stern, while he enjoyed using a salty vocabulary, was not as dirty or obscene in content as his detractors thought. Most never listened, or they would have seen that he was simply entertaining. But there were few of his talent, even including TV. So opening the doors to cussing would bring out foul minds, not brilliance.

I can't speak for radio but TV won't be about cussing it will be more about adult themes after a certain hour. Once again it will be a new set of brains that will develop it.

MickeyD said:
I don't expect old brains to coem up with a new concept.

But you're not talking about a new concept. All you're talking about is loosening language restrictions. All the Supreme Court is talking about is fleeting expletives, like what happened with MIA at the Super Bowl. That's not a game changing difference like the invention of the automobile.

TheBigA said:
MickeyD said:
I don't expect old brains to coem up with a new concept.

But you're not talking about a new concept. All you're talking about is loosening language restrictions. All the Supreme Court is talking about is fleeting expletives, like what happened with MIA at the Super Bowl. That's not a game changing difference like the invention of the automobile.

What you are saying may be true but we are the old brains I was talking about.

MickeyD said:

Speak for yourself.

You're assuming someone in their 20s will want to listen to OTA radio because of some Supreme Court decision. My view is that 20-something is already well served by some other form of media, and has no reason to come back. They won't know or care about the Supreme Court, and even if radio did what they wanted, they won't know about it. It's all off their radar.

MickeyD said:
I can't speak for radio but TV won't be about cussing it will be more about adult themes after a certain hour. Once again it will be a new set of brains that will develop it.

There are already many options on non-OTA television (meaning cable) including paid services. Those don't get the kinds of numbers that more family friendly material gets.

And all manner of "adult" content is available on the Internet. Putting such content or a variant on OTA radio and TV is not going to make any difference at all... mostly because the audience is much more limited than you seem to think.

TheBigA said:
MickeyD said:

Speak for yourself.

You're assuming someone in their 20s will want to listen to OTA radio because of some Supreme Court decision. My view is that 20-something is already well served by some other form of media, and has no reason to come back. They won't know or care about the Supreme Court, and even if radio did what they wanted, they won't know about it. It's all off their radar.

You are showing your age. This wouldn't in itself be the hook but combined with other elements will make it work. It sure beats following a badly broken model. It's like trying to bring back silent movies, oh wait, there is one in the theaters now that
has been nominated for 10 Academy awards. Ok, like ham radio, nope sorry bad example again. There are now 700,000 hams more than anytime in it's history. Old brains rarely have new ideas.

DavidEduardo said:
MickeyD said:

There are already many options on non-OTA television (meaning cable) including paid services. Those don't get the kinds of numbers that more family friendly material gets.

And all manner of "adult" content is available on the Internet. Putting such content or a variant on OTA radio and TV is not going to make any difference at all... mostly because the audience is much more limited than you seem to think.

AS the economy continues to worsen more people will switch to OTA, OTA TV out of necessity. I think it will make a difference and so did Brandon Tartikoff when he was at NBC. He believed, and rightfully so, that OTA TV and cable were not on a level playing field.

MickeyD said:
AS the economy continues to worsen more people will switch to OTA, OTA TV out of necessity.

So what delivery system (media) are you using to keep up with things? I guess I am attached to the wrong delivery system.

I keep getting signals that maybe the economy is actually improving.

If it is.... what does that do to your explanation of "how cows eat cabbage"?

(I guess you had to grow up on a farm in Texas to have that phrase in your vocabulary.)

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
MickeyD said:
AS the economy continues to worsen more people will switch to OTA, OTA TV out of necessity.

So what delivery system (media) are you using to keep up with things? I guess I am attached to the wrong delivery system.

I keep getting signals that maybe the economy is actually improving.

If it is.... what does that do to your explanation of "how cows eat cabbage"?

(I guess you had to grow up on a farm in Texas to have that phrase in your vocabulary.)

Was it last Thursday or Friday that Bernanke said that the signs of an improving economy were misleading because of many of the chronically unemployed are not being counted. They just stopped looking for work. I am not seeing any improvemnent in the NY/NJ areas.

I have FIOS and get most of my info from TV and the digital newspapers. Let's see, I would imagine a cow would eat cabbage in the same manner they would eat any other vegetation. I would imagine that the milk would taste kind fo funky. Not onion funky but noticeable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom