• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Replacing the DJ: Virtual Personality Technology Radio

Honestly, I'd rather hear a real human voice, even if it's just reading liner cards. But really, isn't the point here to create one on one communication? Jocks/talent were always told to talk to one person to create that bond. A computer voice at this point can not do that. It's great technology for people like Stephen Hawking, but come on!

Has anyone currently running these radio companies ever read McLuhan? It was required in my college classes and still makes a whole lotta sense today...

Heh. Think of who'll be writing the "text to speech" stuff. Sales? Management? Promotions? The receptionist when he/she isn't busy?

SirRoxalot said:
Heh. Think of who'll be writing the "text to speech" stuff. Sales? Management? Promotions? The receptionist when he/she isn't busy?

Like the copy that ran on one of the stations I work for, to promote an appearance by one of the air staff:

"Hi, I'm Frank Stone. Join myself for the grand opening festivities this weekend at..."

"Join myself?" I'm so sorry to hear you were dismembered. But Frank read it verbatim, no questions asked.

trackertalent said:
SirRoxalot said:

Like the copy that ran on one of the stations I work for, to promote an appearance by one of the air staff:

"Hi, I'm Frank Stone. Join myself for the grand opening festivities this weekend at..."

"Join myself?" I'm so sorry to hear you were dismembered. But Frank read it verbatim, no questions asked.

How sad. Perhaps we need more people coming into the business to take a course in conversational English. It's bad enough that it was written that way, but the fact that he read it that way speaks volumes about how bad it is now days...

At least in this company, there is no 'copywriter.' Things are usually written by sales, or maybe even promotions, but (again, in this company) there is also a form of 'tunnel vision' at work, where someone told to do something does so, but does not consider one speck of what happens later with or to the work they've done.

For example, they'll write commercial or promo copy without checking to make sure details (such as dates, location, etc) are correct. They are of the mindset: "There. I did what I was supposed to do," and they move on.

And then, as calguy said, no one questions anything. So incorrect copy can run until maybe one day the client hears it.

So, if this stuff goes on in one place, it's going on in other places. A bad work ethic is one thing, but if management either doesn't recognize it or do anything about it, that speaks volumes on a whole other level.

What has made Kool 107.5 in Albuquerque Grow is that we do Oldies with PERSONALITY lets face it it is always whats between the tunes that will make folks listen to you rather than their Ipod

NightAire said:
I don't disagree with your points on personality jocks, but honestly: would you rather listen to this synthetic voice spewing information or have no DJ at all?

(A real personality is NOT an option in this question!!!)

Does this pseudo-jock add anything positive to a station?

I would just go back to listening to talk radio, even if they're talking about cats. Going jockless is upsetting, but having a computer voice is equating to pouring salt in the wound. If you're going to have an "artifical" dj, why even have a voice except the V/O talent to do the legal at the bottom of the hour. Being a dj is possible, but it takes YEARS to develop into an air personality. What happened to radio?

the fact that he read it that way speaks volumes about how bad it is now days

It might be worth mentioning that I have been given almost unspeakable copy before.... copy that sounds like it was written by someone who was still learning English as their third or fourth language... and told I MUST read it verbatim... that the client approved it as-is, and they would throw a fit if we didn't read it word for confusing word, as printed.

It ended up sounding like I was having a stroke on the air, the copy made so little sense... but the check cleared, and that's all they cared about...

This is the time stations should be doing everything in their power to compete with satellite radio. And that means doing everything yourself and making it LOCAL and staying away from satellite programming. That may have been accepted in the 80s. We even did that years ago. Considering using a virtual announcer would be another reason for listeners to tune to Satellite radio. Radio needs to get back to the way it use to be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom